Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How did GM come up with the name Z06 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:45 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you're right about the equipment group line of reasoning. My 1LE example wasn't technically an option you could choose. When you selected a specific combination of other options it initiated the 1LE "equipment group".
Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
There is a "system" to the GM RPO codes ... though they do seem to break it once in a while ... though the first character is ALWAYS a letter .....

If the first letter is M, for example, it is usually a transmission (MM6, M12) .... if U it is a radio or other entertainment system (nav, DVD player, whatever), an L is usually an engine (L88, LS1), and Z is a "performance" package or option (Z28 on the Camaro, Z06, ZR1, etc.).
The following two characters can be either letters or numbers.

So in 1963 they had to start the package RPO with a "Z" and since the RPO system was pretty new back then I'm guessing this just happened to be the 6th Z RPO assigned in the GM family. And that is why it is WRITTEN Z ZERO SIX .... even though people say it as if it was the letter "O" ... it is a ZERO.

All I was trying to show was that the term Z06 came from an RPO code first used in 1963, and that the origin of the name was in the RPO code "standard" not some "secret" code of Zora's ... but part of a corporate naming standard.
If the “Z” was adopted as the performance RPO around 1963, then I'd venture it was purposely tied to "Zora" as he was obviously responsible for the 63 Z06 Vette development. As far as the "06" part, you're probably right that it was just the next number in line to use.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:21 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If the “Z” was adopted as the performance RPO around 1963, then I'd venture it was purposely tied to "Zora" as he was obviously responsible for the 63 Z06 Vette development. As far as the "06" part, you're probably right that it was just the next number in line to use.
The current RPO system was initially developed by GM in about 1960. Supposedly part of a new "system" of computerization. About 1960 only the largest companies could really afford to own and operate (the costs in hardware, electricity, system operators, programmers, keypunch personnel, were staggering back then ..... only the biggest banks, airlines, insurance and auto companies could play with computers back then)

I've seen the fact that "performance" items were coded "Z for Zora" argued several ways ....

The obvious answer is "It's obvious ... the one BIG performance guy running around GM was Zora, so of course you'd use Z for his stuff"

But the other "answer" I've heard is that Zora was a guy that ruffled a lot of feathers, especially "high level brass", and there was no way they'd "honor him" by coding his initial in the system ....

My personal GUESS ... big corporations will always do weird things that in retrospect seem "clever" .... I'm guessing the guys that had to design the system (system analysts) sat down with some accounting types and asked about what kind of options went into a GM vehicle (cars, trucks, etc ... and from GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevy, Caddy ... etc) and hammered out most of the codes before someone said ... heck ... we have a "performance option" here ... any letters left ???? Z was it baby ........

Or MAYBE some crafty system analyst saved the best for last ... knowing that future generations would always be impressed by how Z06 or ZR1 or Z28 sounds .... and he also knew we'd always be left wondering if Zora was somehow involved ......
Old 03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdl
both topics are interesting. sadly in the near future there may not be high performance cars available due to political correctness, liberals, tree huggers and other idiots that are educated in our public schools and politicians who are only looking to win the next election at all our expense.
oops, sorry. off topic again
LOL ...... PLEASE let's be sure John McCain gets elected ....

So a GM TRIVIA QUIZ since we seem to enjoy going "off topic" in this thread .......

DRUM ROLL PLEASE .....

The GMC division of GM makes mostly trucks .... what do the letters GMC stand for ????????

Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

The GMC division of GM makes mostly trucks .... what do the letters GMC stand for ????????

I always thought it was "General Motors Corporation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_(Ge...otors_division)

Some might argue it means: GMC = Garbage Made Carefully.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How did GM come up with the name Z06 ?