Sponsored by:

[Z06] open track tires / track mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open track tires / track mods?

What is a good set of open track tires? i will be using a set of stock c5z wheels to mount them on. Do you track guys run 18s at all four corners or do you stick with the 17/18 setup? This will be my first set of track tires. I have used hoosier race tires on my lightning and my buddy loves his toyos.

Also what are the best track mods to make to a c5z? everyone installs long tubes and cai but what about brake pads, rotors, fluids, cooling, suspension, etc.

My car is a street car above all else so i dont want to install race only parts. Any advice for a rookie open tracker would be great. thanks
Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 PM
JC.LUCIFA
Advanced

this is what I did:

OEM rotors (plain)
Hawk HT-10 race pads
stainless steel brake lines (goodridge)
ATP superblue brake fluid
brake ducts (from LG motorsport)

Kumho MX
Old 09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats posted above is a great start if you're new to track days. make sure your brakes are going to be up to the task of repeated stops from high speeds. you don't need to worry about power mods yet, get a feel for the car and learn to be smooth, then add power.

IMO, if this is your very first time on a real track I would just run on stock tires. they likely have more then enough grip to get you thru your first day. and if for some reason you are able to out drive them you will get plenty of warning ahead of time.

you should also check out the road racing section of this forum. there is a sticky at the top of the page with LOTS of valuable info. good luck and have fun!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QUIKSILVERZ
What is a good set of open track tires? i will be using a set of stock c5z wheels to mount them on. Do you track guys run 18s at all four corners or do you stick with the 17/18 setup? This will be my first set of track tires. I have used hoosier race tires on my lightning and my buddy loves his toyos.

Also what are the best track mods to make to a c5z? everyone installs long tubes and cai but what about brake pads, rotors, fluids, cooling, suspension, etc.

My car is a street car above all else so i dont want to install race only parts. Any advice for a rookie open tracker would be great. thanks
Just start with what your car has on it now...and later, move up to more sticky choices as your experience progresses.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

As a rookie you really do not need to do anything but make sure the cooling system is in good shape and ensuring good air flow through the cooling system by taping the center spoiler so it will not rotate backwards on its springs at triple digit speeds, ensuring there is no dirt or debris blocking the A/C condenser and that the foam gaskets are in place between the A/C condenser and the shroud; that you have a good set of stock equivalent brake pads that have been bedded in and used to some degree on the street, replace the the brake fluid with a high dry boiling point fluid such as Ford Super Duty fluid, Wilwood 570+ or others. Check brake, suspension system and steering system bolts to ensure they are tightened correctly and that there are no power steering or drive train leaks.

As you progress don't waste time and money on engine mods as they will not provide any until you get really good and then you find you really do not need them. There are some really good drivers on the track that run old VWs and they run rings around the high power cars being driven by inexperienced drivers. Focus on safety and reliability items first. Brake cooling helps the brake rotors last longer and reduces the chances of them cracking. Engine cooling helps extend engine life so look into oil coolers followed by a larger radiator.

Stock tires are OK for rookies as well. As for track tires a lot of people run 17x11 96 Grand Sport rims all the way around. There is an excellent selection of tires in the 315/35/17 sizes while not such a great selection in the larger sizes.

Bill
Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Just start with what your car has on it now...and later, move up to more sticky choices as your experience progresses.
A lot of events won't even let rookies use anything but street tires, gotta move up to use track tires after some experiance.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 AM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

thanks for all the info guys.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:28 AM
MarkT 2002
Pro

Great advice so far. You might want to consider an in car camera mount to enjoy reliving/learn from your escapades.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
AutobahnCCZ06
Instructor

I just got some of the Motule 660 DOT 4 brake Fluide. that is the highest boiling point on the market. Couldn't be happyer with it.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Diceman9
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was getting a high tans temp warning on the DIC. Did some research and wrapped my exhaust pipes near the trans. Seemed to fix it for the next time at the track but..... it was a cooler day too. Hmmmmm.....

Get notified of new replies

To open track tires / track mods?

Quick Reply: [Z06] open track tires / track mods?