Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Ricefication of my 2001 C5 Z06 is complete

Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ricefication of my 2001 C5 Z06 is complete

Now I just have to wait for the track budget bucket to fill up again, and head out to the road course to try out all the new bits and pieces.

I have it all... non-stock badges, stickers and decals, gawdy hood and fenders, race seats, quickrelease steering wheel, 5 point harnesses, primer black front splitter and enormous ironing board carbon fiber wing and some other odds and ends.

There are also a couple of go-fast, turn-hard and stop-quick upgrades, but you can't see those at first glance, so for the most part I am sure the general public will simply see a Silver Riced Vette - Uncle Ben's Southern Style Rice?? hehe

Last edited by RC45; 12-10-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:17 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

If I saw it on the street I might think rice... until I saw the tow hook. Then I'd say uh-oh
Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hardbar rotors?

Looks like a nice setup you have there.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:32 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Car looks good. I wouldn't say it's too ricey.

I've got a few question for you concerning the C5Z 18" wheels in conjunction with the C6Z brakes.

Did you need a spacer to clear the caliper?

How far beyond the fender do the wheels protrude? if at all?

This is the set up I'm wanting to run, but not so much for track purposes. More like a 90% Street/10% AutoX if that. But I'd like for the wheel to tuck into the wheel well. Haven't done any test fits so I'm not sure how well it will fit and look.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I think it looks good - especially if it was running down the track.

I have a question about the wing and chin spoiler.

Did you take it to a wind tunnel for testing?

If not, are there instructions for getting it to work properly?
In other words, how do you know they are working as effective aerodynamic aids while on the track?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 PM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by redls1gto
If I saw it on the street I might think rice... until I saw the tow hook. Then I'd say uh-oh
I know I would think rice.. but I have made sure it has the spice to back up the rice

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
hardbar rotors?

Looks like a nice setup you have there.
Thanks, and yes, Hardbar rotors, C6 Z calipers and Cobalt one piece pads.

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
Car looks good. I wouldn't say it's too ricey.
But it is a little.. hehe

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
I've got a few question for you concerning the C5Z 18" wheels in conjunction with the C6Z brakes.

Did you need a spacer to clear the caliper?

How far beyond the fender do the wheels protrude? if at all?

This is the set up I'm wanting to run, but not so much for track purposes. More like a 90% Street/10% AutoX if that. But I'd like for the wheel to tuck into the wheel well. Haven't done any test fits so I'm not sure how well it will fit and look.

Thanks
The front wheels would qualify as "rice" by many on Corvette Forum... the tyres stick out abotu 1/4" - and thats with about -2* camber.

I am not using any spacers on the front. I have a 1/4" spacer (I think it us a 1/4", maybe an 1/8") on the rear, that I remove on the track for a quick change of rear track and when I want to play with the way the back end responds.

Originally Posted by Capthuff
I think it looks good - especially if it was running down the track.

I have a question about the wing and chin spoiler.

Did you take it to a wind tunnel for testing?

If not, are there instructions for getting it to work properly?
In other words, how do you know they are working as effective aerodynamic aids while on the track?

Thanks
No, I have not had the car in a windtunnel - If I lived near Atlanta I would be in a windtunnel in a heart beat. It doesnt cost as much as people think.

I have based the aero mods on an SAE white paper about the Speedvision World Challenge car aero development in 1999 and 2000 and extensive windtunnel testing they did with the cars.

I sourced the front splitter from ACP and it is based on the World Challenge nose they produced for racing. The undertray is based on feedback I have receieved from ACP and other folks and supporting vendors on CF who do run full aero setups.

I will probably replace the flat carbon fibre undertray with the ACP tunneled Leguna Seca version at a later date.

The rear wing from APR offers similar downforce to the ings offered by ACP but at a slightly lower cost.

I have other recommended aero mods as well, such as the ACP World Challenege hood, I have cut inner fender vents to reduce wheel well pressure, added a gurneyflap ahead of the front wheels as recommended by a World Challenge team member.

I will be conducting on-track tests early next year, where I will removes and add pieces and tape up vents etc to determine which pieces work well together and which dont.

Overall I am expecting a relatively nuetral but effective amount of matched front and rear down force.

If it doesnt work then its back to the drawing board
Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Very cool
Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 PM
RomanC
Advanced

Looks like a LeMans C5R for the street. Although, those things run bigger wings
Car looks good.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't see any rice in that picture. Where's the Honda?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
I don't see any rice in that picture. Where's the Honda?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 AM
tdaddy
1st Gear

The only rice i see is the wing... everything else is sexual
Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 AM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by tdaddy
The only rice i see is the wing... everything else is sexual
Hehe - then you didnt look close enough What about the primer front spliter? I thought anything primer was automatically rice... and what abtou the decals... rumour has it that any non-sponsorship decals/stickers are by the very definition, rice.. And I know I have seen CF members proclaim any wheel that sticks out past the fender is almost def. rice... if not at least redneck hehe

And oddly enough, whether actually needed for street use or not, the wing is probably the only item that simply functions by default, even at hiway speeds - as it jus has the sit there to generate downforce (now whether the downforce is helpful or not is another question )

The tyres are semi slicks and need heat to fuction (heat that street driving seldom provides), the brakes squeal like wore out farm truck metal on metal units unless well heated (and unless I tape up the brake ducts they never get up to temp on the street), the car can barely navigate a parking lot without bucking and surging like a rodeo horse with a bur under the saddle - I think to round it out I need to find a nice larger Honda Type-R decal.... for the rear window
Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RC45
Hehe - then you didnt look close enough What about the primer front spliter? I thought anything primer was automatically rice... and what abtou the decals... rumour has it that any non-sponsorship decals/stickers are by the very definition, rice.. And I know I have seen CF members proclaim any wheel that sticks out past the fender is almost def. rice... if not at least redneck hehe

And oddly enough, whether actually needed for street use or not, the wing is probably the only item that simply functions by default, even at hiway speeds - as it jus has the sit there to generate downforce (now whether the downforce is helpful or not is another question )

The tyres are semi slicks and need heat to fuction (heat that street driving seldom provides), the brakes squeal like wore out farm truck metal on metal units unless well heated (and unless I tape up the brake ducts they never get up to temp on the street), the car can barely navigate a parking lot without bucking and surging like a rodeo horse with a bur under the saddle - I think to round it out I need to find a nice larger Honda Type-R decal.... for the rear window
Why does your car buck, surge, etc... Sounds like your tune is off some.

I have an ACP 2001 FRC Wide Body (use to be coupe) before I ripped off the rear of the car.

You should handle really well once you get the rear spoiler adjusted to the correct down force. Is your car corner balanced ?

Here's a picture of mine still in process.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Why does your car buck, surge, etc... Sounds like your tune is off some.
Because I like that way - Wats the point of a mean-*** hotrod if it doesn't snarl and bite old ladies in the cross walk?

The 106.5 LSA of the new cam achieves this goal pretty well. I have given up almost 40bhp and 20ftlb over the previous .700 lift cam, but we are pretty pleased with the results of this almost "conservative" .603 lift GMPP cam.

Originally Posted by ajg1915
I have an ACP 2001 FRC Wide Body (use to be coupe) before I ripped off the rear of the car.

You should handle really well once you get the rear spoiler adjusted to the correct down force. Is your car corner balanced ?

Here's a picture of mine still in process.
I have been following your car build up for quite a while now, and really look forward to seeing it completed. Which ACP front undertray are you going to be using?

Last edited by RC45; 12-11-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RC45
Because I like that way - Wats the point of a mean-*** hotrod if it doesn't snarl and bite old ladies in the cross walk?

The 106.5 LSA of the new cam achieves this goal pretty well. I have given up almost 40bhp and 20ftlb over the previous .700 lift cam, but we are pretty pleased with the results of this almost "conservative" .603 lift GMPP cam.

I have been following your car build up for quite a while now, and really look forward to seeing it completed. Which ACP front undertray are you going to be using?

Thanks for the props. I haven't installed an undertray yet as I am trying to figure out what FI system I'm going with.

I bought a forged (416 LS3) but I am looking at all of my options.

Most of the FI systems would block the use of an undertray due to all of the piping, etc ...

A top mount or the single turbo system from Hinson may work.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

You are the AntiRice. Looks awesome man.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:55 PM
env00
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ricey...nah...you got the stuff to back it up...

Get notified of new replies

To Ricefication of my 2001 C5 Z06 is complete

Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You win the prize....
It does LOOK fast!
I like the hood, but like the Viper hood, if the louvers are functional, it probably does not like driving in the rain.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 12-11-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Looks like it means business to me, besides...Scotty likes rice
Old 12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ah, I get it now.

Ah, you changed cams. I was going to ask about the lower rwhp number. I remember it being 611rwhp and was thinking I was losing my mind. You swapped out the cam of death for something with a little more longevity or power under the curve? At least I know I wasn't hallucinating.

As far as the bucking and rough idle. I used to drag race Mopars and even my street cars sounded like they were about to stall at 1000rpms. I love that sound. Made the poseurs get real interested in playing with their radios when they got next to me. Ha. Women and some guys just couldn't understand why I would want an engine that sounded so 'rough'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Ricefication of my 2001 C5 Z06 is complete