Sponsored by:

[Z06] Greeting from the North

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
cscottalta
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greeting from the North

No, it's not Santa Claus. This is a repost from my intro post.

we're looking at -30C by Sunday (Alberta). Not exactly sports car weather. But my Corvette fever is picking up momentum.

I am a pre-newbie! I'm not the type to go into debt so I've got to wait a few more months, but I'm _almost_ ready to buy a 'vette. Something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I will probably head South sometime in the early Spring. I purchased a Ducati in Idaho a few years ago and saved about $4K on a $20K purchase. I'm hoping that the Canuck buck goes back up again by that time, but even the way it is now, it looks like I can save quite a bit by purchasing in the States. I'm leaning toward an '07-ish Z06.

My question for any of you folks that have owned multiple 'vette's is, is there a big difference between a Coupe and a Z06? I want to DRIVE the car and while our roads aren't the best, (potholes and so on) I don't want the car to drive down main street and look cool. I'm about a three hour drive from the Rocky Mtns and that's where I like to take my motorcycles and that's where I'd probably take that 'vette. There and also down through Montana and Idaho and back up through B.C. and Southern Alberta. Possibly out to the track too. I like a car where you fire it up and it growls. Another question, is a Z06 the type of car where you can get yourself into trouble? There was a guy in the news here, a couple of years ago, that just bought a new 'vette, lost control leaving an intersection and hit and killed a pedestrian. I'm fairly level headed but also like to go fast. I thought that if I bought a 'vette that I would find a racing school somewhere and get some training. The motorcycle safety course sure helped when I got back into bikes, 10 yrs ago or so.

Anyway, that is a long winded intro, for a guy that doesn't even have a 'vette yet, but this seems like the best forum that I've comes across yet, so I'm hoping for some advice. TIA

Craig

p.s. I'm lthinking of flying down to a prime area, Texas, AZ, Florida, and shop around. I've got a conference to attend in Denver in June and I might do it around then but I doubt I'll be able to wait that long. We can't important new cars into Canada so it's got to be at least one year old.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:27 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

You may want to post in the C6 section, since you're looking at an 07'ish. There's going to be a pretty big difference between the coupe and the Z06. I would recommend keeping your active handling/traction control on. Also, think about participating in a HPDE and get more familiar with your car and learn the limits. Drivin with restraint, it's the same as your four-door economy car...engine, transmission, 4 tires, and cup holders. More pressure with your right foot will yield different results.

Not sure if they had the roof recall in 07, but it's one thing to check. Like I said, post in the C6 section and you'll get people with first hand knowledge of the sixth generation.

Good luck and welcome...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Greeting from the North