Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] any thoughts on the C5 rear fascia overlay

Old 05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Mighty Duc, don't suppose you have a pattern made that could be shared?????
Old 05-16-2010, 12:25 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MightyDuc
As promised... better late than never, right?

Oh.. thats HOT!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM
MightyDuc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Mighty Duc, don't suppose you have a pattern made that could be shared?????
Wish I did... but I can offer a few tips should you decide to go this route yourself, the first being that a pattern would make this process practically impossible. I felt like that was going to be the best procedure as well, but finally decided against it because I knew it was going to make aligning the vinyl very difficult. Instead, I just stuck the vinyl to the whole back of the car, the cut off what I didn't need. Dinoc is thick, so its tough to see (and feel) the contour of the car underneath it when trying to follow the original lines of the fascia. I used pintstriping masking tape to mark where I thought the cut should be, checked it out from various angles, then cut everything off and removed the pinstriping. Worked like a charm. The curves at the bottom are difficult to work with. A heatgun would work wonders, but I was stuck with an old school hairdryer that worked well enough to get the job done. An extra set of hands definitely would have been nice, too, but its entirely possible to do by yourself. Think that's about it... Take your time, good luck, and post pics when you're done!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

It sounds like you made the basic install on the car then marked and cut, without removing from the car. Is this correct? If so, what did you use to cut the vinyl?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:21 PM
GM Fan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great, you've got me wanting to try this w/ the 3M di-noc carbon fiber stuff on my black Z06 now. Plus maybe some interior parts...

There are vidoes on youtube of the application, looks like pretty handy stuff and with a heatgun it looks to contour well to all kinds of complex shapes like the lower fascia. The possibilities are near endless seeing some of the interior parts and stuff people are wrapping with this stuff to great results.

My one concern is the cutting of the excess around the top edge of the rear fascia, most of the videos they just cover the whole panel/hood/whatever and trim at some crease/gap on the car. Here you'd be cutting where there is paint underneath. How exactly did you set where to cut/make the cuts without scarring the paint? Do you basically just score the vinyl and then it tears away easily or do you need to cut all the way through it somehow without gouging the paint?

Oh and did you use the surface prep/primer solution or just apply the vinyl to the car after cleaning the surface?

Last edited by GM Fan; 05-17-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 AM
MightyDuc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue: you are correct; I stuck the vinyl on the fascia, then cut off what I didnt want. There really is no other way that I'm aware of. I don't think you can apply the vinyl using the wet method that can be used with decals, so once you stick it to the body panel, its pretty much there. You can heat it up a little a pull it off once, maybe twice, but anything after that and you're probably going to notice stretch marks in the pattern when you're finished... I used a regular old razor blade to cut. And yes, it probably cut into the clearcoat somewhat, but I really wasnt THAT concerned with it. You can't really just score the vinyl; it's thick, and just stretches unless you cut ALL the way through it. Plus I knew I was going to like the look, and you cant see any scratches around the edge of the vinyl. I'm happy...

GM Fan: I agree about covering pieces in the car, which is why I bought so much of the dinoc in the first place. But after seeing how difficult it was to cover the rear fascia, I'm not so sure I want to tackle the interior just yet... The possibilities are endless, however, and with patience and plenty of time, the results look spectacular.

And nope, I didn't use any specific surface prep product; I did, however, wash the car thoroughly, and applied a quick coat of wax to the area to be covered...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Thanks MightyDuc, great work!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
goodguys282
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Rear Bumper

Originally Posted by MightyDuc
As promised... better late than never, right?

Hey, What rear bumper is that, and where can I get one? Looks Great.
Thanks Frank.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:36 PM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Exhaust overlay

Originally Posted by stock z06
found them for $279 shipped...f you are the lucky one

might pull the trigger
I see you found the C5 Exhaust for $279 shipped, Could you let me know I'm looking for one for my C5. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] any thoughts on the C5 rear fascia overlay