Sponsored by:

[Z06] Just Installed Callaway Honker CAI on '03 Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 AM
taegee2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just Installed Callaway Honker CAI on '03 Z

Just installed new Callaway Honker CAI. Had Blackwing before (and I will likely sell it soon since I don't need it anymore).

Haven't driven it yet due to rain. Will test it out when the weather clears. Still have stock Ti exhaust (no plans on exhaust change yet).
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious about the Honker . I have the Vararam but not impressed with the quality of it .
Let us know how it performs.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 AM
TakeAwayTheFear
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost got the honker, but after 3 weeks of waiting and ohh dont know when we will have more BS (late last year or early this year) I cancelled my order and got the Halltech Venom! I couldnt be happier with it.

Let us know how you like it when the weather clears up.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
ttribe
Racer

I have the honker. I like it a lot! I got to see/hold/feel the BPP, honker, latest vararam, BW and others. My local corvette shop stocks them all and has them all displayed. As far as looks and construction, callaway was the best hands down. It is very thick and sturdy. both the vararam and the BPP looked very flimsy and cheap in comparison.

I made just over 430 RWHP with 3 mods on my c5z... LG "street" headers, honker and g5x3 camshaft. Everything else stock.

The filter is extremely easy to remove, it seals very tight. I just removed the intake hose the other day and there are no signs of dirt in the intake/throttlebody. The intake looks like it belongs there and everybody notices the "Callaway" raised letters on it

I am very happy with my choice and read about 100 threads before I made it. every car meet i attend, I have never seen another honker... lots of vararam, dual cones and haltech style stuff.

edit** my second choice would have been the BW filter with the icebox mod.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:02 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

I think im going to get one .
Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 593 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Default Honker

I installed the Honker about 500 miles ago. As others have said it looks like it is an OEM piece. Very nice fit and quality is outstanding. Went from Vortex to Honker can't tell any difference in performance. Some time soon may go back to the dyno and check it against the Vortex numbers. IMO can't buy a better CAI. Oh I bought mine off the forum from someone who was going FI got the shroud and the Honker.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:03 PM
02Z06clark
Instructor

Have one also can't wait to do some more mods when wallet allows!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I've had the Honker for almost 18 months. Fit and finish are top notch, better than OEM. And the performance gains nice as well, I'd buy one again in a hearbeat.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:00 PM
taegee2
Instructor

Still raining here in Northern VA, but here is a pic of the installed "Honker."

The C5 Decal was added and I highlighted "CALLAWAY" with silver leaf foil paint (I also used this to paint the instrument guage bezel - bottom pic).

Last edited by taegee2; 08-22-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:31 PM
taegee2
Instructor

Just took the Z out for a ride today. Definitely an improvement...quicker throttle response and the car definitely pulls. Not a HUGE SOTP difference, but enough to feel and notice the improvement. No codes either (will give it some time for the car to adjust to the new air intake).

Happy with the purchase so far (even though it wasn't cheap).
Old 08-23-2009, 09:24 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

I am getting one too. My Callaway double d's came in Friday , so the Honker will go nicely with it.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 PM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Glad to see another happy Callaway customer! We sell many Callaway parts, let us know if you need any help.

http://www.corvettesofdallas.com/index.php?cPath=29_61

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas
Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 PM
taegee2
Instructor

Originally Posted by arkus
I am getting one too. My Callaway double d's came in Friday , so the Honker will go nicely with it.
Can you post how it sounds once installed (compared to the stock Z06 Ti's)? I had Borla Stingers on my 2000 coupe, loved the sound from the outside, but the drone/resonance from the inside drove me nuts. Corsas look nice (and supposedly no resonance) but don't have the deep throaty sound I'm looking for. Haven't heard the Callaway yet and can't find any clips on YouTube or anywhere else. Would like to know how it sounds.

Has anyone tried fitting a Mustang exhaust/muffler on a Vette (just a thought, probably requires cutting and welding...I actually like the Mustang exhaust note even though they have no bite)? Would doing something like this, if possible, change the note?

Last edited by taegee2; 08-23-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 PM
TakeAwayTheFear
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by taegee2
Can you post how it sounds once installed (compared to the stock Z06 Ti's)? I had Borla Stingers on my 2000 coupe, loved the sound from the outside, but the drone/resonance from the inside drove me nuts. Corsas look nice (and supposedly no resonance) but don't have the deep throaty sound I'm looking for. Haven't heard the Callaway yet and can't find any clips on YouTube or anywhere else. Would like to know how it sounds.

Has anyone tried fitting a Mustang exhaust/muffler on a Vette (just a thought, probably requires cutting and welding...I actually like the Mustang exhaust note even though they have no bite)? Would doing something like this, if possible, change the note?
mustangs sound different because they have a different firing order than our cars, thus never getting our cars to sound like a mustang.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 AM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Love mine and even better yet, it is 50 state legal
Old 08-24-2009, 01:04 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've had my Honker on for at least two years now. First of all, the insatllation was easy. Secondly, I've driven in rain with no problems because though it rams cool air in, it doesn't scoop up water like some CAI's do. Thirdly, maintenance is a breeze. I have had no negative issues with this intake at all.

When many people complain that it is so expensive compared to others they forget one important point. Most systems that are cheaper still require you to also replace the air bridge at an additional expense. The Callaway doesn't require that expense because the air bridge is actually part of the new system.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 AM
The Stranger
Racer

Not to hijack your thread, but I figure this is related. Can that air bridge be replaced with an aftermarket piece? I am in the market for a honker, but that airbridge just kills it for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Installed Callaway Honker CAI on '03 Z

Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Good question ?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stranger
Not to hijack your thread, but I figure this is related. Can that air bridge be replaced with an aftermarket piece? I am in the market for a honker, but that airbridge just kills it for me.
As I pointed out before, you don't need to buy an additional air bridge with the Honker because the design eliminates the need for a separate piece. The Honker moves the MAF up to the throttle body (which GM copied when the C6 came out), and the air bridge is one smooth part of the whole assembly. It is not a separate piece. When you figure the price of other brand intakes and then add in purchasing a new air bridge you've equalled the Honker's price. The Honker is an OEM quality part.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Striper has a good point, i wanted to buy callaway, but than i comitted to buy new Vararam and i paid 300 bucks and than paid 150 for air bridge...now 450, i would have better bought callaway for 480-500 and be done with it, vararam took me 4-6 hrs solid to install that sob.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just Installed Callaway Honker CAI on '03 Z