Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do ceramic brake pads perform compared to OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 PM
C5FAST
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do ceramic brake pads perform compared to OEM?

The title sys it all. I know the ceramics don't generate disk like the OEMs do, I am interested in those of you who have switched to ceramics and can comment on their performance. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed out my brake system with only 5k miles on the car, so I didn't have a lot of time on the stock stuff to compare. Went with red calipers, D & S rotors, Ceramic pads and SS hoses. I haven't noticed any difference between stock pads and ceramic as far as stopping power or distance. I have Satisfied Brands performance ceramic pads. Most people say there is less dust but they don't perform as well. I haven't noticed that. Dust is less but haven't really noticed any degradation in stopping performance.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the ceramics for street. They stop as good as what was on there before. It is only after the 3rd or 4th hard stop within a short time do they fail. For most street driving the do fine, don't dust or squeal. No way would I use them on the track though.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have the ceramics for street. They stop as good as what was on there before. It is only after the 3rd or 4th hard stop within a short time do they fail. For most street driving the do fine, don't dust or squeal. No way would I use them on the track though.
Ceramics will generate more heat,therefore more fade,but only really noticeable unless you have high speed stops frequently. Or,in one example I remember,going down a steep grade for several miles at a time and at a good clip,you could see some brake fade.

Just be aware it could be there and account for it in those instances,and you will be fine

Last edited by flynbya2; 09-03-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran GM Ceramics and they were terrible, I took them off early. They required much more force to stop and they WARPED my rotors !

I now run HAWK HPS, they dust less than OEM pads and stop better than ZO6 pads.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't really race my car, they say the stopping distance is farther with ceramics. I've had both and on the street I don't notice a difference.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 AM
jaguar5822
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I ran GM Ceramics and they were terrible, I took them off early. They required much more force to stop and they WARPED my rotors !

I thought I read on this site that the Hawk HPS IS used for the Z06?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

whenever I take out my track pads, AC Delco ceramics go in. this is a very good street pad for the money although intial bite/torque is nothing compared to the pads I use on the track. I bought a set over 2 years ago and still use it.

in order to generate enough heat on the street to cause them to fade you would have to do something insane, like half a dozen 60-0 panic stops within a couple of minutes or drag the brakes going downhill for a long time (just use a different gear or cycle the brakes allowing them to cool down)

i actually had to use ac delco ceramic pads in the rear for a couple of track days this winter, they held up OK, I would not run when them in the front though, but that applies to any ceramic compound.

in my experience, no pads out there on the market for these car will "warp the rotors" unless there is something else wrong with the system (rotors have unusual wear pattern when the new pad is installed, caliper binds on one side, rotor is impregnated with several pad compund materials, rotor/pad surface is contaminated, etc). I maintain my brakes on a monthly basis and I have run close to a dozen different compounds at this point - I have never seen a warped rotor.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:59 AM
GHL4505
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put AC Delco ceramics pads on a few years ago. Haven't noticed any difference other than less dust on the wheels.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguar5822
I thought I read on this site that the Hawk HPS IS used for the Z06?
HAWK HPS pads dust less than stock C5 pads. Since I have heard that ZO6 pads dust way more than stock C5 pads, I doubt that ZO6 pads are HAWK HPS.

As for my GM Ceramic Pads "warping" my rotors, I am well aware of some people who say, "rotors never warp, they just get brake pad deposits on them". I tried to "fix" my pulsating rotors by doing hard stops several times, it did not work. Maybe my rotors just wore out while using the Ceramic pads? I had 115,675 miles on the rotors ! In a previous post, several other people said ceramics "warped" their rotors also.

Last edited by Oldvetter; 09-03-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

I dumped the Z06 pads for ceramic about 20K miles ago. I hated the high dust and squealing around town, even for the sake of "performance". I used the stuff Autozone carries in stock. The ceramics do fine for stopping me at the track from nearly 150mph. They feel different but I can still stop well. Almost no dust and never squeals. But if I went to a road course, I would want performance pads on.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:25 PM
army2000
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

If your car used for street use, then the ceramic pads are fine. They will keep brake dust off your wheels. However, they do not work well for track use.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

They make "LESS" dust and have less braking force!

IMHO - I'd go with the C5 Z06 Pads, they work great! I use them and have no issues, great braking force!

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I switched to Hawk Ceramics on my 02 Z06 and have never noticed a bit of difference (except for WAY less dust). Mine is a daily driver at about 20k miles a year.

The brakes on the track car... different story.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

My car is a weekend street car only. Just cruising around, no racing... I put on the GM ceramics and after the wear in period I had no more dust. I did not feel a reduction in performance. Likely cause i don't drive really hard.

Toque
Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter

I hated everything about the ceramics on my car - the sound, the feel, the braking. I took them off after about 1k miles and threw them in the trash. I run Hawk HPS now and will never look back.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran AC Delco DuraStop (ceramics), on my 93 C4. They replaced the Hawk HPS. The Hawks were better then the OEM pads, but too much dust, the DuraStops were a much improvement over the Hawks both in dust, stopping and fade. During the burnish process right after each were installed, by stop number 18 the Hawks were fading fast, but the DuraStop were still going strong through stop 20.

When my C5's OEM set goes I'll be replacing them with AC Delco DuraStop pads.

Both pads were equally quiet, the DuraStops provided a much smooth stop during normal operation.

Get notified of new replies

To How do ceramic brake pads perform compared to OEM?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I hated everything about the ceramics on my car - the sound, the feel, the braking.
Exactly what sound did your ceramics have that you didn't like? They should be silent. Or maybe you missed the lack of low speed squeeal that represents awesome braking power?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I also like the ceramics over stock pads. Mainly because they are silent! But the braking feels great to me. My vette is a daily driver and dont do any track stuff. I also use ceramics on my wifes car, my moms truck, etc,. and they are all silent and all feel like they have sufficient stopping power.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

With all due respect, no one will ever convince me that any brake pad warps any rotor.

GM rotors warp if you breathe on them. It has nothing to do with the brake pad lol.

Pic a GM car, it has issues with warping rotors. I buy a new GM car on average 1 every 1 to 2 years, and every single one of them have had warped rotors.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Quick Reply: How do ceramic brake pads perform compared to OEM?