Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Rear end whine, is it normal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 AM
mikeb64
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rear end whine, is it normal or not?

Hey guys,

I have an '04 Z06 with 30k on the clock, driving the car yesterday on the freeway at 55 to 65 mph (5th and 6th gear) I could hear a whine from the rear end, when I put in the clutch the sounds went away, clutch out the whine was there again, it was not too loud, but it is a new car to me ( 5 weeks old) and I find myself listening to any noise(s) that sounds abnormal. I recently changed the rear end gear oil but did not listen for the sound prior to the change, could have been there or not. Is this is normal for this car model or maybe I have some probs in the rear end?
Any suggestions on what it could be or where to start my search for this whine?

Thanks for your comments

Mike
HTown
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get slight transmission whine at close to full throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear. When cruising it's silent. What did you use for gear oil in the diff?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:32 PM
mikeb64
Instructor

Default Rear end whine

Mine is different, i hear it only when low RPM's ( 2000) in 5th and 6th gear with the windows up AC on. Local Chevrolet dealer did the rear end service with GM gear oil.

It is not too bad, but past experience tells me it is louder than normal,......

Any other suggestions??

Thanks- this forum is great for information.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably nothing to worry about. Likely the gear setup is off a little.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If it goes away while still in motion and clutch in then you can eliminate the diff, as it is still in motion just as if the clutch was out.
Now if it is different under load vs no load then that would be different.
These cars do tend to have a noisy drive line, I mean you have to remember, this is a race car in street car clothing

My 1st guess is that it might be a torque tube rear bearing making your noise. Although this is not that common I believed that was one of the noises I heard in my own car as far back as a year ago. A dealer mech. friend of mine said probably not as they rarely see issues with the TT. But just this past week while swapping my clutch, guess what? Yep bearing noise from TT.
However keep in mind that as solid as this entire drive line is, it can be difficult to tell where the noise is actually coming from.

My 2nd guess, which can also be mistaken for gear noise, would be a hub bearing. This can be pretty easy to say yes or no to by doing the following.

1) While driving the car at it's most noticeable noisy speed. push in the clutch and give the steering wheel a glide from left to right holding it each direction as if you are making a long turn. It does not have to be a sharp turn, the idea is to shift the weight of the car from left to right so as to put more load on 1 side of the car and reducing load on the other. if it sounds louder when turning right then it's the left bearing, and vice versa. (note: make sure all noise adding things are off, ie; A/C radio ect. maybe windows up as well)

2) If you did hear noise louder 1 side vs the other or if you are unsure, then try this to prove it's the hub bearing. Put car on lift or jack stands (rear only if you wish) and slowly get the car going up to about 30-40mph (best to have someone else be in the car so you can listen on the outside) Now all at once, put car in neutral, let out clutch and turn off motor and listen to each side of the car at rear wheel. If you have a bad hub bearing you will know it for sure, the noise will be very obvious and which one it is. If both sides sound the same you are back to square one.

Hope this helps a bit.
Unless you're changing out your clutch or something no real reason to go digging any further.
If it's not the hub bearing then let it be until it gets worse, chasing noises down in the cars can drive you insane.......ask me how I know
Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change your differential fluid asap! Don't forget gear additive if it doesn't come pre-mixed.

If you hear the whine under load, it's possible your gears are giving up on you. If this is the case, it will get progressively louder and the volume will increase more quickly over time the worse it gets. In the end, I had to replace my rear end.

Good luck
Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM
mikeb64
Instructor

Default Frodaddy & Carboy

Thanks for the comments.

Frodaddy- I just had the dealer change the rear end fluid last week, so I hope that is not the issue,......

I will check the hub bearing as well too- Thanks.

If these cars are noisy ( race car for the street) it might just me hearing more than what is there, but with LT's and Borla stringer, i don't hear it after about 2500 RPM's.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoy
If it goes away while still in motion and clutch in then you can eliminate the diff, as it is still in motion just as if the clutch was out.
Now if it is different under load vs no load then that would be different.
These cars do tend to have a noisy drive line, I mean you have to remember, this is a race car in street car clothing

My 1st guess is that it might be a torque tube rear bearing making your noise. Although this is not that common I believed that was one of the noises I heard in my own car as far back as a year ago. A dealer mech. friend of mine said probably not as they rarely see issues with the TT. But just this past week while swapping my clutch, guess what? Yep bearing noise from TT.
However keep in mind that as solid as this entire drive line is, it can be difficult to tell where the noise is actually coming from.

My 2nd guess, which can also be mistaken for gear noise, would be a hub bearing. This can be pretty easy to say yes or no to by doing the following.

1) While driving the car at it's most noticeable noisy speed. push in the clutch and give the steering wheel a glide from left to right holding it each direction as if you are making a long turn. It does not have to be a sharp turn, the idea is to shift the weight of the car from left to right so as to put more load on 1 side of the car and reducing load on the other. if it sounds louder when turning right then it's the left bearing, and vice versa. (note: make sure all noise adding things are off, ie; A/C radio ect. maybe windows up as well)

2) If you did hear noise louder 1 side vs the other or if you are unsure, then try this to prove it's the hub bearing. Put car on lift or jack stands (rear only if you wish) and slowly get the car going up to about 30-40mph (best to have someone else be in the car so you can listen on the outside) Now all at once, put car in neutral, let out clutch and turn off motor and listen to each side of the car at rear wheel. If you have a bad hub bearing you will know it for sure, the noise will be very obvious and which one it is. If both sides sound the same you are back to square one.

Hope this helps a bit.
Unless you're changing out your clutch or something no real reason to go digging any further.
If it's not the hub bearing then let it be until it gets worse, chasing noises down in the cars can drive you insane.......ask me how I know
very good info carboy.....also the pilot bearing is notorious for this noise and you just have to get use to it
Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
redroket
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whine

I have an 02 with the same problem. I have diagnosed it as the rearend. Mine like yours is only noticeable in 5th and 6th on the freeway. I have put on 30,000 miles on mine and the noise really has not changed much. I guess it is just gear alignment? I have changed the rear diff oil probably 5 times and have found no difference. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redroket
I have an 02 with the same problem. I have diagnosed it as the rearend. Mine like yours is only noticeable in 5th and 6th on the freeway. I have put on 30,000 miles on mine and the noise really has not changed much. I guess it is just gear alignment? I have changed the rear diff oil probably 5 times and have found no difference. Good luck!
How is it that you have diagnosed this as the rear end?
Do you have stock gears?

Please give more info
Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
QwickerRon
Racer

I have the same whine and now consider it normal. Replaced ring pinion gear to try at first but no change. Driven other C5 Z's and same whine is there. Drove a C6 Z and it also has a whine. Just learn to whistle to a higher tune and drive on happily.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Mine dosent whine.
If you have a whine while under load and no whine when under no load conditions, you have a ring and pinion gear or a diff carrier bearing problem. Gears do not whine when under load unless the setup is off period, unless they are straight cut gears and no production car has straight cut gears.
If its the trans, it should whine in almost every gear whether or not a load is applied.
It could be a wheel bearing too, the correct way to test this is to make normal full left and right turns as though you were at an intersection. Left turn and noise, the right wheel bearing is bad; right turn and noise, the left wheel bearing is bad. You can also jack the rear up pull the wheel off and physically see if there is any play in the wheel bearing by grabbing the hub and trying to wiggle it. Should have NO motion at all.

By your description, it sounds like you have too much backlash in your ring and pinion gear.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:35 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

02 Z 32k miles. 55-70 mph while cruising i hear a whine under very light load, like 0-5% throttle, if i let off its stops, if i give over around 5% throttle is stops too. i am assuming its just the ring and pinion gears. its not even that loud just something i noticed, probly due to the fast that the rear is 15" from your head and there is no sound deadening material.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Gamdrunk
Advanced

I have a 0 3 C5 I put a new 3:42 different last year at DRM but this year when I took it out of storage my heated garage it is whining and really loud on the interstate GM will cover the part but I still have to pay for the labor and trying to find out if I can safely drive 190 miles back to DRM

Last edited by Gamdrunk; 04-06-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Gamdrunk
Advanced

I am looking for people's opinion if it will be safe and or will make it back to the shop with this problem
Old 04-11-2016, 09:31 AM
DVUSz06
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeb64
Hey guys,

I have an '04 Z06 with 30k on the clock, driving the car yesterday on the freeway at 55 to 65 mph (5th and 6th gear) I could hear a whine from the rear end, when I put in the clutch the sounds went away, clutch out the whine was there again, it was not too loud, but it is a new car to me ( 5 weeks old) and I find myself listening to any noise(s) that sounds abnormal. I recently changed the rear end gear oil but did not listen for the sound prior to the change, could have been there or not. Is this is normal for this car model or maybe I have some probs in the rear end?
Any suggestions on what it could be or where to start my search for this whine?

Thanks for your comments

Mike
HTown
I have an 02Z and my I have a whine in my car also but it's only in coast in 6th gear at highway speeds. Underload there is no noticeable whine but completely off gas it whines. If I just touch accelerator peddle then it goes away. Still scratching my head on this one.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:33 PM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through the same ordeal last October, the whine was sort of noticeable at first and within a month it got to a point, turning up the radio won't "fix" it anymore :-p
It whined like I have a straight cut gear dogbox.

At that time my 2002 C5z had around 30k miles on it, and basically it whined loudly whenever I was coasting or decelerating, from 35mph and up; doesn't matter which gear I was in. Like you said, as soon as I get back on gas, noise disappear.

I dropped the fluid and it was full of glitter. In November I finally paid someone to replace the diff for me and now everything is back to normal *knock on wood

I think I drove additionally 500+miles before the diff was replaced. No abnormal vibration or bad fuel consumption. I'm sure you are safe to drive your car back to DRM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end whine, is it normal or not?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rear end whine, is it normal or not?