Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Triton4C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions

Alright so recently I put Kooks Long tubes and matching x-pipe on my 01 Z06. I left the stock Ti for the catback. I love the sound at WOT but at idle and cruising under 2500 it's far too quiet for my liking. I want to hear the car and enjoy it's lovely V8 sound. Now i've heard of a bunch of people doing the by-pass mod.

Question is, for the guys that have done the by-pass mod with aftermarket headers have you regretted it? How did it make the car sound? Did it give it a tin can sound or was it a nice grumble? Also how was the noise on the freeway, was it obnoxious or bearable? I don't want it to be overly loud but i want it louder than it is currently. That's why i want to stick with teh stock catback so i don't go with something far louder than i would like. If you have sound clips please post those as well. I appreciate all the info!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Put Electric Cutouts on your car. I wouldn't hack up the Ti's. You can adjust how loud they are by playing with the electric switch in your car that controls the butterly openings. You can have them fully opened to be loud, closed for quiet, or in between to be slightly louder than what you have. I gained 11rwhp with them today on the dyno with LT's and a cam. Plus, you don't ruin a one of a kind exhaust system like the TI's since they are in your X pipe.

If you don't like that idea, get an axle back exhaust system and either sale your TI's or keep them for the future. I think the bypass is money down the toilet.

Last edited by winters97gt; 07-25-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Texan1Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Put Electric Cutouts on your car. I wouldn't hack up the Ti's. You can adjust how loud they are by playing with the electric switch in your car that controls the butterly openings. You can have them fully opened to be loud, closed for quiet, or in between to be slightly louder than what you have. I gained 11rwhp with them today on the dyno with LT's and a cam. Plus, you don't ruin a one of a kind exhaust system like the TI's since they are in your X pipe.

If you don't like that idea, get an axle back exhaust system and either sale your TI's or keep them for the future. I think the bypass is money down the toilet.
Who do you recommend that can do the X-pipe electric cutouts in Houston and how much does that run?

Know of anyone with a used x-pipe for sale in Houston?

*sent u a pm*

thx

Last edited by Texan1Z06; 07-25-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MySelfAffliction
Alright so recently I put Kooks Long tubes and matching x-pipe on my 01 Z06. I left the stock Ti for the catback. I love the sound at WOT but at idle and cruising under 2500 it's far too quiet for my liking. I want to hear the car and enjoy it's lovely V8 sound. Now i've heard of a bunch of people doing the by-pass mod.

Question is, for the guys that have done the by-pass mod with aftermarket headers have you regretted it? How did it make the car sound? Did it give it a tin can sound or was it a nice grumble? Also how was the noise on the freeway, was it obnoxious or bearable? I don't want it to be overly loud but i want it louder than it is currently. That's why i want to stick with teh stock catback so i don't go with something far louder than i would like. If you have sound clips please post those as well. I appreciate all the info!
I have LG Long Tubes, high-flow cats, custom cam and Borla X-pipe with modded Titanitum exhaust. Judge for yourself how it sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26dAL2XZpL0

I love the sound at idle, acceleration and cruise. Very calm at highway speed in 6th gear.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the modded ti as well. I think it's the perfect blend of sounds. To say it's hacking and ruining the exhaust seems crazy to me! It sounds much better than stock, way less airy.

However, I don't think it will suit your wants. You mentioned you want it louder at idle and cruising. Well, the modded ti sounds VERY close to an unmodded ti while cruising around. When you give it any gas at all, the difference is completely noticeable. And at WOT, it just screams and sounds amazing. Cruising around though, it can be very quiet, which is why i chose it. Best of both worlds.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Originally Posted by MDoe8
I have the modded ti as well. I think it's the perfect blend of sounds. To say it's hacking and ruining the exhaust seems crazy to me! It sounds much better than stock, way less airy.

However, I don't think it will suit your wants. You mentioned you want it louder at idle and cruising. Well, the modded ti sounds VERY close to an unmodded ti while cruising around. When you give it any gas at all, the difference is completely noticeable. And at WOT, it just screams and sounds amazing. Cruising around though, it can be very quiet, which is why i chose it. Best of both worlds.
Any sound clips of your car? The videos i've seen of people with LT's and modded Ti's it's a decent amount louder at idle and cruising.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

Idle to me is still pretty quiet. I mean you can hear it but it's almost too quiet for me. A cam would wake that up though.

Cruising is only louder while accelerating. In which it is noticeably louder and sounds fantastic, i love it. While maintaining speed though, it's whisper quiet.

No videos sadly. There is a compilation video on youtube somewhere that gives a decent idea of how it sounds. It's tough to capture on a camera though. Anyone local to you have the setup so you can hear it?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Triton4C
Racer

I'm sure there is, but I have yet to meet someone locally that does. Maybe someone on here can chime in? I'm in San Diego area. Love to hear this in person before I commit to it.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MDoe8
Idle to me is still pretty quiet. I mean you can hear it but it's almost too quiet for me. A cam would wake that up though.

Cruising is only louder while accelerating. In which it is noticeably louder and sounds fantastic, i love it. While maintaining speed though, it's whisper quiet.

No videos sadly. There is a compilation video on youtube somewhere that gives a decent idea of how it sounds. It's tough to capture on a camera though. Anyone local to you have the setup so you can hear it?
I'm waiting for a camera mount in the mail and as soon as I get it I will be taking some videos of me driving the Z from inside the cockpit. Hopefully that will give people a good idea of the sound accelerating and at cruise. I concur with the comments that it stays quiet until you get your foot into it. And once you get your foot into it, you won't want to let it out!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Yea take a nice video of the outside too not right up on the exhaust but a few steps. The inside the cockpit will be great just do a slow steady cruise and then slowly accelerate and then a WOT. That way there's every angle covered. I would greatly appreciate it and i'm sure others would too!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

I don't have long tubes (yet) but do have the modded Ti. I can tell you that at idle there is a difference. Not LOUD, but clearly you are listening to a V8. My wife likes to play that tune as she leaves the house.

I have heard locally a car with LG streets and modified Ti and at idle it was nice. Noticable without screaming at you.

I would go forward with it without looking back.

Just my $.02
-Ed
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
KrispyZ06
Racer

I am interested in this mod as well, also it appears (I haven't measured) that the inlet and outlet pipes on the exhaust are of different diameters.

That seems like it woud make it tough to do a decent job of connecting the two with a single piece of constant diameter pipe.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

mine is a single 1.5" pipe. From what i've read, the 1.5" pipe gives a much cleaner sound. Can't vouch for it thoguh, as i've never heard the 2".
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there is, but I have yet to meet someone locally that does. Maybe someone on here can chime in? I'm in San Diego area. Love to hear this in person before I commit to it.
I've been curious about this mod for a while, but I've never found anyone in SoCal that has found someone to do it.....

I guess welding titanium is is somewhat of a specialty. Apparently most welders don't have the knowledge or the special equipment to do it....
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Triton4C
Racer

I currently have two people I'm in the works with to get this mod done. I am kind of comparing their prices so I will get back to you on this. If you are real serious about this hattitude PM me and i'll give you updates on mine!

Mdoe, I will be going with 1.5'' as well since I have also heard that the 2'' doesn't sound as good. Which would make sense. The larger the diameter the more tin type noise can be bounced around. I'm no expert though just an opinion. After I get this mod I will update this thread with a good video clip for everyone. Hopefully I can make this a good enough thread on it to possibly put this in the FAQ so there won't be any more questions about it!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
KrispyZ06
Racer

A tip on TI welding- which I have done a bit in the past, is to TIG it using approprate alloy TI filler wire, but most importantly is that all surfaces are clean, and that you back purge the exhaust with some argon.

MySelfAffliction- why not keep this thread updated with your progress. I am really interested in how this goes for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
MDoe8
Instructor

I went to make a video yesterday but my camera was dead. Should have one in the next few days.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions

Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Ok a little update for everyone, I talked to my guy about doing the by-pass. He said that materials are expensive. He said that he could only get a 10 foot piece of titainium tubing which would be $300.....Now that would suck for just me to pay and I would refuse to buuuuttt. He did say that if we got a group buy together we would be able to split the cost of the material and he could cut us a deal on the labor portion. And if we took the catback off the car and took it into him he would charge even less labor.

Basically he's willing to work with us on the price big time. Now he said that each vette would require about 2 feet out of that 10 foot piece. So to give a little space for error we are saying to have the cheapest cost to us 4 people MAX for this group by. That would mean each person would pay 75 for the tubing and then whatever he would charge us for the actual labor. He's very reasonable with his labor. I would venture to say it wouldn't cost any more than 250 MAX. I don't know 100% I would need to get more people interested before he throws out a price for us. If you are interested let me know.

He's very local, he's located in spring valley. He said if i took my car to him he would use mine as the measuring car to make sure it mocked up well on the car, then the rest of the people if they just bring in the catback for him it'll cost them way less than to bring the whole car in.

I'm pretty sure I have one person already interested which is hattitude. I would need 2 others to make this as cheap as possible for us all. If there are ANY other people out there in the San diego area that want to do this by-pass, please post up here or send me a pm and we can get this going. So far he's been the only person i've found that is willing to do this mod since everyone is scared of welding Ti...I was told by another automotive shop he's the guy to go to.

Again please contact me if you are interested. I'm wanting to get this done so bad but i do not want to spend $300 on my own just to get the materials then the additional cost of him welding. If we did a group buy, all of us would get a cheap price and finally get a mod we've been wanting!!! Well hit me up!!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Ok so 1 confirmed, need at least 1 more to keep costs low would prefer having 2 more though!! I know there's gotta be another person in or around SD that wants this done to their stock Ti!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so 1 confirmed, need at least 1 more to keep costs low would prefer having 2 more though!! I know there's gotta be another person in or around SD that wants this done to their stock Ti!

Might get a better response if you posted this in the regional forum.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/southern-california-45/

Is it Ed Hansen's shop? I've heard he's THE exhaust guru, but never approached him about this mod.

PS- Did you get my PM? Or am I the one confirmed?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions