Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Think my water pump just shelled...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Boomah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think my water pump just shelled...

Aloha All,
Hope someone can give me a good vector on this one…
Noticed the smell of coolant one afternoon after a long drive (in Hawaii, so we’re talking about an hour & a half). Next morning there was a puddle of coolant under the car so I checked under the hood & found coolant on the belts & transverse spring. Jacked the car & found coolant on the pulleys below the water pump (from what I could see anyway). From reading the treads here my guess is the water pump is on its way out or at least one of the seals has already went. My Z is a 03 daily driver with 65k… Does it makes sense the water pump probably is the issue and if so, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement? I’m not a real high performance guy so I’m not really looking for an electric pump but anything with better performance or at least improved performance over the stock pump will certainly be considered! Last thing, if I opt to change the T-stat as well, what recommendation are there and will it required any software tweak/flash, etc?
Much mahalo , Ahui Hou
Mark
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with you, my 03 Z with only 26k just started leaking. It seems our water pumps have a timer on them or something. I had already collected the parts for a cam swap, so no biggie, I ordered a pump to throw on while I'm at it. I snagged one from a seller on ebay with fantastic feedback who sells a ton of waterpumps. Brand new for $100 shipped.

You can change to a 160 T-stat without tuning. But having it tuned to turn on the fans sooner and run a little cooler will make better use of it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Think my water pump just shelled...