Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2002 z06 cracking plastic trim around windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
fsccer038
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 z06 cracking plastic trim around windows

Has any one had a trim cracking issue with the plastic trim around the windows where the window meets the body.Also the plastic that holds the strip that holds the window seal to the door.Also are there any recalls from gm thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM
corvettekid1973
Racer

I had this crack last summer. It sucks, I also haven't heard if its a common issue or not. I assumed someone grabbed mine getting in the car
Name:  IMAG0282.jpg
Views: 4044
Size:  28.6 KB
Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very common problem. I have an 02 with 10,000 miles. Both sides are cracked. Drivers side is just hairline, passengers side all the way through. Replacement part is $80, you have to remove the gasket to get at the screws that hold it on. I think it is caused by the screws being to tight. Most people don't notice it so mine is staying as is for now.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
dragon84
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have broken a few sets over the 77K mile life of my car.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
corvettekid1973
Racer

Originally Posted by halp
Very common problem. I have an 02 with 10,000 miles. Both sides are cracked. Drivers side is just hairline, passengers side all the way through. Replacement part is $80, you have to remove the gasket to get at the screws that hold it on. I think it is caused by the screws being to tight. Most people don't notice it so mine is staying as is for now.
$80 for a FRC? I was quoted $116 for a used one, someone was trying to hoodwink me
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is broken as well on both sides. I haven't bothered to replace it yet.

Rick
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Did a mountain cruise two weekends ago. There were 5 FRCs including a gorgeous '00 Nassau Blue FRC with factory HUD. Mine was the highest mile car yet was the only one without those cracked. To be honest, with double the miles mine was the cleanest of the bunch.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine are cracked and most cars I look at are cracked also. What is the purpose of this trim piece?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

its a drip rail for when it rains. Wait till they start leaking, thats a whole other set of problems.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Ragresen
Instructor

replacing them can be a bit of a pain. You should get the replaced. My Riverside one used to leak till I had it replaced and the part new about about 115.00. Kept the old once since it was good for the most part. May try and refurbish the rubber material on it that was the source of the leak.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
02EBZ06VA
Instructor

I plan on replacing mine soon. Has anyone posted a write up on how to replace this piece. If not I will reverse engineer it ( and probably screw up my roof).

I thought I saw post on here about a metal clip that this thing fits into and glue.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
stupid fast Z06
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am also interested in a write up on how to remove and repair these.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 PM
corvettekid1973
Racer

Same hear!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

mine is cracked...kind of funny all frc's have them cracked
Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

You have to remove some of the factory sealant to get at the screws. One big mess I hope I don't have to go through.

One thing to consider, I usually never have my windows up since it's in the garage or cruising on nice days. I notice I'm the only one I see around with perfect molding... coincidence? Even when I park someplace, I usually leave the windows slightly cracked.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pass side on mine is cracked. It doesn't leak yet , so not messing with it!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM
hpfiend
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default write-up

My 03 z06 with 26K miles has this on the passenger side... got it with 12K and it was present then- the other side has not cracked yet... I have not replaced it but this is what I plan to do as soon as it warms up here.. I compiled this from several threads when I researched this and combined it into a word document I am pasting here... I did not keep track of who posted what unfortunately-
I bought the 3m strip caulking from amazon if I remember correctly..
----------------------------------------------------------

For anybody with the a-pillar leak on a 1999-2004 hardtop or Z06 listen to this. New part numbers have been released for the exterior left and right side plastic a-pillar molding. I suspect this is due to faulty design in the moldings and the reason why so many people have leak problems. However, I am waitng for these moldings and can get no definite answer to when production will be complete.

The old part numbers: 10422996, 10422997
Have been replaced by: 10331562, 10331563

I had discovered this because my 2001 Z06 with 8000 miles on it leaks in the rain really bad. No damage was caused because I was lucky in catching the problem quickly. I have taken apart one side of the molding and discovered how poor the waterproofing job was done in this area of the vehicle.

What is unsatisfactory is the way the moldings are adhered to the a-pillar. There is almost no sealant to prevent water from finding a way to seep in between the fiberglass body and the plastic molding. What then happens is it does two things:

1.) water runs down the a pillar and pools in the interior a-pilar molding until it then runs down into the kick panel area then to the carpet and/or runs into the lower part of the dash board and drips down on your feet.

2.) water runs backward, forward, or both into the headliner and soaks it. Or it runs down the interior sail panel and you might see water on top of your seatbelt mechanism cover.

You may get both of these leaks, one of these leaks, or none of these leaks depending on where there is a gap in the length of adhesion of the molding to the body. If you have not experienced a leak, you are lucky, but only a small barrier of crappy sealant job separates you from getting soaked. The design works don't get me wrong, but the process on the assembly line leaves too many possible variances open including human error when applying the sealant.

I will post full picture documentation of this. The mere fact that GM released new part numbers and scrapped old production parts to keep them from being sold means they know now, or knew of a problem in the design.

Here is the link the an older thread of a member who had the same problem but could not find out the problem. This is worth reading for anyone with a C5 hardtop:

saw him carefully take the rubber gasket from the chanel around the window opening and take off the metal channel described above...he proceeded to open a box of stuff he got from the parts department and I asked him what it was and he called it "dumb dumb rope"...it was a long pack of cord like strips of dumb dumb stuck together and he carefully seperated the lengths of the stuck together strips of dumb dumb rope and laid them out on a piece of cardboard...then he took the metal channel off and carefully placed a strip across the back(near but not at the top portion) of the channel where the chanel is against the door frame. he then gently pressed it on the channel to make it stay and then he carefully put the metal chanel back into the door frame and firmly pressed it against the frame and the stuff squeezed to near the top of the channel where it meets the frame and then put the screws back in and then carefully pressed the rubber gasket back into the chanel...At that time I asked him the purpose of doing him what he just did and he told me that what he just did would solve water from seeping in behind the gasket and behind the chanel and migrating everywhere. I asked him why he put the strip of dumb dumb near the top back of the chanel and he said when he pushed it back into place that he wanted the dumb dumb to be squeezed close to the top of the chanel to prevent any water from entering from that point down. He said he had stopped many leaking problems by doing what I just watched him do and that he was the only mechanic that he knew of anywhere that used the "dumb dumb rope" like he just did...he also said that he told GM several times of his procedure to stop water leaking from around the door and they just ignored him...(he also said another area of leaking was around the window where the glass presses against the rubber and that the window can be adjusted to make a better seal against the rubber gasket).
He also did the "dumb dumb rope "procedure on the frame against the windshield (windshield pillar)
Anyway I hope this may help you...it seemed pretty easy to do if you take your time and do it precisely like he did it. It can not hurt to try this procedure and may hopefully help...its a disgusting problem and I hope it helps...

BTW...my mechanic said not to use rtv or silicone because if you go to try to remove the channel in the future that you will have a terrible mess

Dumb Dumb Rope?
it is a putty that come in strips.we use 3m brand at work to seal evap cases back on firewall after evap.or heater core replacment.

Putting my new trim on for the targa conversion I took great care to seal everything so my fingers are crossed. My steps:

1. Use rubber cement type auto adhesive to mount A-pillar molding
2. Install metal run channes with "dum dum" which is automotive sealant
3. Install all screws with dum dum to seal them like OEM
4. Install weather stripping
5. Run bead of winshield sealant between run channel and A-pillar.

My glass guy said typically water is getting behind the weather stripping and comming down the run channel.

Ok, I pulled everything apart today to start fixing it. I had to pull the weatherstripping, the metal piece that holds it and the window reveal molding. I ended up breaking the reveal molding as I was cleaning the glue, and sealing foam strip off it. I plan on trying to order a new one come Monday. I took some pictures as I have been pulling everything apart. I also removed the plastic triangle from the bottom front corner of the A-pillar. I purchased some 3M Strip-caulking to help seal everything back up. I used it to reattach the triangle sealing around and behind it. As soon as I get the reveal molding in I will continue with my progress report.

Last edited by hpfiend; 03-14-2011 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PowerMad (01-03-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 z06 cracking plastic trim around windows

Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

Originally Posted by corvettekid1973
$80 for a FRC? I was quoted $116 for a used one, someone was trying to hoodwink me
Where did you find it for that? $148 at GM Parts House. I need passenger side. It will leak at times.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
corvettekid1973
Racer

Originally Posted by stevedun
Where did you find it for that? $148 at GM Parts House. I need passenger side. It will leak at times.
Marc@vettes.net told me $115 but he was out of them. This was a couple months ago so you may wanna check with him
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2002 z06 cracking plastic trim around windows