Sponsored by:

[Z06] The Dark Side of the Corbeau A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Default The Dark Side of the Corbeau A4

There are several lengthy threads praising the Corbeau A4. In the interest of full disclosure, I wanted to collect all of its shortcomings in a single thread so prospective buyers can get the full story. I'm only doing this to help out fellow forum members, so don't feel like I'm attacking you personally if you own and love the A4. I’ve had them in my car for several months now and I do genuinely enjoy them, as they provide infinitely more lateral support than the stock seats. However, had I known all the facts beforehand I probably would have saved a little more money and splurged on nicer seats.

So here’s the list of shortcomings in my opinion:

1) The seat bottoms are not tilted back far enough. This has been well documented; it can be partially mitigated with the use of many washers.

2) They’re a very tight fit. This has also been documented. You have to flip the driver and passenger seats just so they’ll fit, and the seat back tilt levers are hard to reach. Furthermore, once installed, they’re not easy to slide on the rails because a bolt rubs on the interior plastic trim near the seat belt assembly.

3) Heavier than stock - this one really surprised me. Not only are they heavier than the passenger seat, but they’re also heavier than the driver seat with its motors and electronic controls.

4) Not for the broad-shouldered. This isn’t really a shortcoming, more of a disclaimer, as no one seat can be comfortable for all body sizes. My sport coat is a 40 Reg, and I measure 46” around the shoulders. If you’re much larger than this, definitely sit in the A4 before buying it.

5) Rails don’t allow the seat to move far enough forward. This must have just been a miscalculation by Corbeau or whomever produces their seat brackets. My seat is in the furthest forward position, and I still wish there was one more notch. The stock seats allowed plenty of leeway in this department. I’m 5’ 9” tall, and my legs measure 34” from my hip bone to the bottom of my heel. If you’re any smaller, definitely drive a Vette with A4’s before buying them.

6) Seat belt latches are in a bad position. Instead of fastening to the seat, they fasten to the seat bracket. This means that as you slide your seat forward or back, the seat belt latch remains stationary. If you keep your seat in the far forward position it’s not too bad, although still far from optimal. If you slide your seat toward the back, it feels downright unsafe. Because of this poor latch positioning, the metal “male” connector of both my seat belts are now bent.

So there you have it – the full story on the A4. Again, I do enjoy my seats and probably won't replace them anytime soon, but I do see myself upgrading to something more expensive at some point in the future.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee

5) Rails don’t allow the seat to move far enough forward. This must have just been a miscalculation by Corbeau or whomever produces their seat brackets. My seat is in the furthest forward position, and I still wish there was one more notch. The stock seats allowed plenty of leeway in this department. I’m 5’ 9” tall, and my legs measure 34” from my hip bone to the bottom of my heel. If you’re any smaller, definitely drive a Vette with A4’s before buying them.
Seriously!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Good to hear another side of it, I've been thinking about getting them for quite some time. I'm not sure I will now. I didn't think they were heavier than the stock seats. Not being able to tilt back, and the belt latch position is a bit of a concern also.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm not so sure about the heavier part.

My back told me that when I pulled out my stock drivers seat and installed my A4+Corbeau brackets they were lighter for sure.

They might have a few shortcomings, but no where near the shortcomings as the stock GM seats.
The stock seats belong in a Chevette... not a Corvette...
I would buy my Corbeau A4 seats again in a second !

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 03-31-2011 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (07-22-2022)
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Toque, I had a feeling you'd re-voice your support for the A4

Originally Posted by Toque
I'm not so sure about the heavier part.
My back told me that when I pulled out my stock drivers seat and installed my A4+Corbeau brackets they were lighter for sure.
My back told me the opposite, and I found this odd, so I double-checked by lifting one after the other and repeating a couple times (both were sitting on my living room floor at this point). I came to the conclusion that the A4 was definitely heavier than my passenger seat, and comparable in weight to my driver seat, although still a tad heavier.
If I remove them to mod the seatbelt latches or replace them altogether then I'll try to weigh them and post some actual numbers.

They might have a few shortcomings, but no where near the shortcomings as the stock GM seats.
The stock seats belong in a Chevette... not a Corvette...
No arguments there
Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to counter what points you bring up. I agree with what your saying. I just think that there are a hell of a lot LESS flaws in having the A4's in your car compared to the Stock seats.

I would like to see some actual scale measurements on the seats compared to stock. I still have a hard time believing they are heavier.

I think its a good idea to let everyone know the Pros and Cons to any mod on our cars.

Shall we make a list of flaws of the stock GM seats ?

Toque
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Shall we make a list of flaws of the stock GM seats ?
It turns out they're quite comfortable for watching tv or reading. Mine are currently serving as bookends to my living room sofa, and I received nothing but compliments when the guys came over to watch March Madness

...I just wouldn't ever want to drive with them in anything other than a straight line
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

It turns out they're quite comfortable for watching tv or reading. Mine are currently serving as bookends to my living room sofa, and I received nothing but compliments when the guys came over to watch March Madness

...I just wouldn't ever want to drive with them in anything other than a straight line
Hey ... you found something there good for ! Very cool !

Toque
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to get the WIDE
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
I'd have to get the WIDE
The wide will not fit in the C5's. (I'm told)

Toque
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

So I guess I'd have to suck it in or find a different seat.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
So I guess I'd have to suck it in or find a different seat.
Im a 38" waist, 6ft, 210lbs and I don't think you would be comfortable in them if you are much bigger than me.

Toque
Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I agree with this one. I wish that I could move the seat forward one more notch.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Im a 38" waist, 6ft, 210lbs and I don't think you would be comfortable in them if you are much bigger than me.

Toque
36" waist.......I think, 5'-8" and 215-220. I'm broad.....and a little thick in the middle.......hahaha

I need to get back into the runnig thing.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 PM
zeeohh6ex
Burning Brakes

so per say a sparco xl would not fit in a c5?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

What does flipping the passenger and driver seat do? Put the seat adjustments on the inside?

EDIT: Just saw the pic, so assume the handles are near the center console.

Rick

Last edited by C5Longhorn; 03-31-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Despite the negatives posted about the A4's, you also have to consider the value per dollar. I tried on some Recaros that I believe would also fit. The leather Corbeau looks more luxurious than the Recaro Sports and the price is considerably less. On the other hand, the Recaro felt really nice sitting in it the first time. Both are certainly superior to the stock seats.

Get notified of new replies

To The Dark Side of the Corbeau A4

Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Not for everyone but I like my Arizen RS2 fixed back seats (similar to the Sparco roadsters). I had considered the A4's but the ones I have sat in I personally didnt like the "feel" of them and they seemed bulky. But I am not saying they are a bad seat my any means.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Good thread.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Sargent1
Instructor

Glad someone finally posted this. I just went to a Sparco Evo to replace the Corbeau A4. A4 = medieval torture device. I gave it away just to get it away from me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] The Dark Side of the Corbeau A4