Sponsored by:

[Z06] friggin new mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of Mustang hate here HAHA

I wouldn't mind having a 2012 GT 5.0 w/a stick for a DD, would never get rid of the C5Z for it though. I would only get rid of my C5Z for a C6Z or C6ZR1
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15, ‘18, '21

Heads and cam would remove any doubt.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 AM
Seraphus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MillertimeZ06
I am a car lover who can appreciate any car and what they have to offer. If people read earlier posts I'm not really bashing the mustang but talking about how its owners are in a class of their own. Yes I did bash the styling, imo its extremely ugly. This kid I work with is the typical mustang guy. A typical mustang guy puts on a cai and a k&n sticker and talks about racing a viper pulling 4 car lengths on him. The guy who has 250 HP but claims its 350 but won't prove it. The guy who parks his car but when challenged then always has an excuse. THEY don't appreciate other cars and are the first ones to talk smack about yours. I'll give it to mustang they definetly stepped it up because they had too but a typical mustang owner remains the same.
I've met this guy, in every make and model of car on the planet. That's the point some of us are trying to drive home, it's not the cars, it's the people in them.

Those people can be great and they can be a-holes. I've met great guys and d-bags from all corners.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't have some pride in your machine, on the contrary, it's that pride that enthusiasts have in the cars and the work they've put in them that motivates us. Some heated road courses, some tire burning drag races, or just throwing a high gloss shine and taking her to a show, whatever your choice is the comrodery and cmopetition is what keeps us going. I preffer to keep it that way and not catagorize ffellow enthusiasts. I've never seen people as "mustang guys" or "vette guys" just car guys.

Last edited by Seraphus; 12-31-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 AM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember we need idiots, Without them there would be no way to measure intelligence
Steve
Old 12-31-2011, 01:40 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
If he has 3.73 gears and Brembos with pads, and if he can drive, you'd be amazed how quick they are.

Seriously.

Jim
I'm very familiar with Mustangs on the track having spent the last 2 seasons racing a Mustang FR500 wheel to wheel, got to drive behind Roger Miller in his new Boss 302R that he is running in Grand Am. it pulled the old car the FR500 hard in the straights seemed to have a lot of power, but my street c5Z06 with a stock Motor and 110,000 miles on the clocks( Pfadt sways, shocks and scrubs slicks) still made faster lap times than the boss 302R (full factory built race car $120,000) on Millers west track.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Dans99C5
Racer

I'm actually headed to the track with a few buds on January 13th. They have the following:

2000 SS M6, bolt ons, 228r cam, 3.73's - 390/375
2011 5.0 M6, bolt ons, 3.73's - 410rwhp
2011 5.0 M6, bolt ons w/ boss intake, 3.73's - 438rwhp

Guess we will see who the better driver is that day.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I like the old mustangs, thats about it. I have a 68 coupe that gets as much love and attention as my C3 big block. My wife owns an 06 V6 mustang that has been a good reliable car for as long as she owned it. I wouldnt get a new GT for myself because I like my C5 much better but I wouldnt bash anyone for liking them. Then again, there does seem to be a larger portion of new mustang drivers acting like a douche than vette owners
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

I can run a mid but closer to consistent high 12's on street tires in the 1/4 but this ones got me thinking. I hate hate hate losing to a mustang. It's probably a drivers race but if he won is never hear the end of it.
The best mod is definitely the the "Driver Mod". By practicing the RIGHT things, you should be able to run low to mid 12s consistently on a track with decent prep.
Yea you guys are right on a road course I doubt the mustang brick would come close to the z. Just sucks that now a kid with $30,000 can keep up with me in a straight line.
Never worry about your opponent. Only focus on what you can control.
Yea I'm definetly gonna practice more once the tracks open again. Tires are almost shot and gonna get some new wider ones which should help my launch. Even with the old tires I was running low 2.0's 60ft which I thought was fairly good. Hopefully the new tires do the trick. As for the guy saying we should give love to the mustang I can't until they quit making them so ugly. Horsepower good, styling awful.
2.0 sixties are not that good if we are being honest with ourselves. This is not to be disparaging in any way. I use to think I was a decent driver when I first got my C5Z. Boy was I wrong. I can still remember my first pass running a 13.277 and finally cracking into the 12s bonestock that day. Once the ego gets put aside, improvement can begin. Long ago reading Ranger's tutorial and practicing shifting drills and the correct launch techniques started us on our way. Today, we constantly strive for improvement knowing that we have never made that perfect pass.
As for tires, the OEM F1s can consistently cut 1.8x sixties on a well prepped track. It's recommended to keep this same tire if replacing them. Wider does not mean better. A DR is a definite step up.
I think its a drivers race no matter what tires I use. I use dr, he uses dr. I've searched and found mustangs running dr, cai, tune, catback running low 12's in the quarter. That's me too. In a straight line it seems even, on a road course I can't see it touching a vette though. Shaped like a brick and top heavy.
A DR is a great mod also provided you adjust your launch technique to compensate for the extra traction. It does take some time getting acclimated to them. If you have never raced on DRs before, it would be prudent to get some ASAP. As for type, the Hoosiers will provide the most grip while being the lightest. (275x40x17 on the OEM C5Z front wheels, not knock offs.)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Send a PM if you would like a few more tips.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zeevette
I don't know why all the Mustang hate? The FMC has taken a stylish, but underachieving motor/chassis, and really made it perform. The "Boss" version has been compared favorably to a V8 M3, which costs about twice as much. And this is including it's road racing abilities. I'm not advocating trading in our Zs for one, but really; lets be fair.
Originally Posted by Gigdy
Judging from this thread, a lot like some corvette owners.
Originally Posted by ajrothm
Well when you are asking about advice on a DRAG race and all the corvette owners here are making excuses and saying "take him to a road coarse or blah blah blah"..... they sure are acting like "mustang owners"....

The fact of the matter is ford FINALLY put together a competitive package for the Mustang and now its giving Vettes a run for the money and it seems that some vette owners are having a hard time coping....

.... If you can drive and get out of your car what it is capable of, you SHOULD be able to cover the Mustang, especially if he is an average driver... You just can't blow the tires off and you need to nail the shifts...

I ran a 12.16@117 in my 02 Z06 with drag radials and a vararam, all else was stock.... It did take me about 15 passes to get it down there though.. Also this was in pretty good air.... <1000' DA.

That mustang with CAI and a tune MAY be capable of these same times but he will have to drive the crap out of it and leave hard/hook.... You can probably cover him though.... I would slap some drag radials on it for insurance.... you have enough power, you need to get it to the ground...
Originally Posted by Seraphus
Agreed.

I never cared about what car someone was driving. It seems like he just wanted to race because he's an enthusiast not to prove that mustangs are better than vettes. I never understood why some guys blow thing out of proportion with the whole "rivalry".

The least you can do is educate yourself about the cars before you smack talk. Modern day mustangs will do great on both the drag strip and the road course. I've seen track-pack GT's beat new M3's arond the course.

How about we just respect each other and be car enthusiasts not just brand loyalists?

My .02
Originally Posted by fredkayaker

I was all set to buy a C4 Zr1 or C5 Z06 this coming summer but am now considering a 4 seat alternative.
My 8 year old keeps giving me the guilt trip about not being able to take the whole family on rides! So now I've found myself considering Mustangs, Camaros, M3s and Porches.
Originally Posted by ajrothm
And dont even get me started on the reputation that "Vette owners" have..... LOL..... Especially classic Vette owners....85% of them are douchebags.... Enthusiasts from just about every other brand/model of car all have the same opinion of most "Vette Owners"...Thats likely for a good reason...

I happen to be an exception...
Originally Posted by Edmond
When you have an A&A in your car, I don't think you really care what anyone else is bringing.
Remember, there is always somebody faster.
Personally, I like the 5.0 Mustangs, I would definitely drive the **** outta one if I had one. But when I bought my Z, they weren't out yet. I'd take the 5.0 over the Camaro any day of the week.

I don't really care what anyone else drives and how fast it can go, I'm happy with my car and don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

Aren't we all out of high school by now?
Originally Posted by zeevette
Some car lover.... I owned an '01 Cobra before my Z, and though I only had it two years, I was glad that I didn't get a SS of the same vintage; talk about ugly; the Firebird was hideous. So I guess after owning my Z for over 8 years, and modding it for most of those years, I'm NOT a "typical" Mustang owner? Whatever that is....
Originally Posted by MX621
the corvette scene can be a lil rough.. ul never catch me dead at a corvette club or corvette show..
Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE
Lots of Mustang hate here HAHA

I wouldn't mind having a 2012 GT 5.0 w/a stick for a DD, would never get rid of the C5Z for it though. I would only get rid of my C5Z for a C6Z or C6ZR1
I've met this guy, in every make and model of car on the planet. That's the point some of us are trying to drive home, it's not the cars, it's the people in them.

Those people can be great and they can be a-holes. I've met great guys and d-bags from all corners.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't have some pride in your machine, on the contrary, it's that pride that enthusiasts have in the cars and the work they've put in them that motivates us. Some heated road courses, some tire burning drag races, or just throwing a high gloss shine and taking her to a show, whatever your choice is the comrodery and cmopetition is what keeps us going. I preffer to keep it that way and not catagorize ffellow enthusiasts. I've never seen people as "mustang guys" or "vette guys" just car guys.

with all of the above posts. TOO many people are brand loyalists defending their cars to the very end. Nothing wrong with being a little proud unless it turns one into a douche. Robz recently posted a thread on SVTPerformance in the timeslip section which is suppose to be for all cars and not just Fords. Initially there was the condescending attitude where many showed their True Colors and the thread became nasty. Fortunately, the truth came out by the level headed crowd and the thread became civilized.
Those new Stangs are BadA$$ and I would not mind owning one to see what can be extracted from it.

Last edited by GARY2004Z06; 01-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:14 PM
MillertimeZ06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do admit i need more seat time and new tires will help. Maybe then I could get some 1.8 60 ft times. Hopefully zmax has more test and tunes this year.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Seraphus
Instructor

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
with all of the above posts. TOO many people are brand loyalists defending their cars to the very end. Nothing wrong with being a little proud unless it turns one into a douche. Robz recently posted a thread on SVTPerformance in the timeslip section which is suppose to be for all cars and not just Fords. Initially there was the condescending attitude where many showed their True Colors and the thread became nasty. Fortunately, the truth came out by the level headed crowd and the thread became civilized.
Those new Stangs are BadA$$ and I would not mind owning one to see what can be extracted from it.
Will you please PM me the link to that thread? I'm also a member of SVTP.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

if i needed back seats a new five-0 with 3.73's and brembos would top my list.. good friend of mine has a 11 gt with the 373's. intake, orx , catback and lund tune.. thing is a blast to drive. i really love the 5th gear is the 1:1 rather than 4th gear.. just a really nice fun to drive car.. traps 119mph too.. interior is really nice too..
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Will you please PM me the link to that thread? I'm also a member of SVTP.
PM sent.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I do admit i need more seat time and new tires will help. Maybe then I could get some 1.8 60 ft times. Hopefully zmax has more test and tunes this year.
Very good track from what I hear. Will you be racing him to the stripe or will it be a Best ET competition?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

I'm a Car Guy for sure. I especially prefer American Muscle. I just recently traded in my Mustang for a Vette because I wanted a Vette. Not because if which one was faster or better but simply because I wanted a Corvette before I turned 40. Made it with several years to spare!...lol...

I still have a '68 Coupe in my stable and a "Pony" tattoo to match!

but as for the OP, if you like lining them up for the fun of it, then i say run him with what u have and see how it plays out. Fanboys on both sides can be a pain but its all in how you act in the end. If he wins, just say good race and move on whether he brags or not.

there will always be someone faster ya know!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

the corvette scene can be a lil rough.. ul never catch me dead at a corvette club or corvette show..
unfortunately, i'm in the same boat here...the Corvette Club here has the rep of being snobs...they don't attend shows they feel are "below" Corvette status...they don't come to local hang outs and mingle...kinda stand-off-ish???

i will say when i was the Prez of the local Stang club for 5yrs, i heard folks saying we had attitudes as well...perception is reality...i know that i mingled with everyone...imports, classics, SMART fourtwo's...lol
Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In terms of acceleration...

Stock for stock, advantage Z06
Mod for mod, advantage Z06

Horsepower is great and all, but weight and traction make a huge difference.

I will say that I am a fan of the new mustangs. Much better than the camaro and anything dodge is putting out.

Get notified of new replies

To friggin new mustangs

Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dans99C5
I'm actually headed to the track with a few buds on January 13th. They have the following:

2000 SS M6, bolt ons, 228r cam, 3.73's - 390/375
2011 5.0 M6, bolt ons, 3.73's - 410rwhp
2011 5.0 M6, bolt ons w/ boss intake, 3.73's - 438rwhp

Guess we will see who the better driver is that day.
Id like to see what the LTs/boss intake 438rwhp 5.0 runs. Keep me posted!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

if i needed back seats a new five-0 with 3.73's and brembos would top my list.. good friend of mine has a 11 gt with the 373's. intake, orx , catback and lund tune.. thing is a blast to drive. i really love the 5th gear is the 1:1 rather than 4th gear.. just a really nice fun to drive car.. traps 119mph too.. interior is really nice too..
Did ur friend have LTs when he went 119mph?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Dans99C5
Racer

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
Id like to see what the LTs/boss intake 438rwhp 5.0 runs. Keep me posted!
Sure thing man. I'll probably post in the z06 and drag racing forum. I hope to get a few videos as well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] friggin new mustangs