[Z06] Halltech C5 Killer Bee™ II Conversion Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Halltech C5 Killer Bee™ II Conversion Package

As seen (but not mentioned) in the latest GM High Tech and Performance Magazine, Halltech's Killer Bee II conversion package:

This C5 made 560 RWHP/524lbs-ft torque with the Blackwing and the following mods:
LS3 416ci
Trickflow 235cc Heads
Kooks 1 3/4" Longtube Headers
Kooks Catted X-Pipe
24x/25x 0.63x"/0.63x" Camshaft
Nick Williams 102 mm Throttlebody
FAST LSXr 102 mm Intake Manifold
Reckart Performance Custom Dyno Tune
560 RWHP/524 LBs-FT
________________________________________ _____

Just swapping out the intake for the Halltech Killer Bee II:
584.78 RWHP/547.7 LBs-FT

This setup rocks!

The Halltech Killer Bee™ II 2001-2004 C6 LS1/LS6 Conversion Package will provide airflow to 950 HP on the Z06, so it may be overkill for the average LS6. The package includes the all new C5 Killer Bee™ II Cold Air Induction System designed originally for the C6Z06, and includes the probe style LS7/LS3/LS9 MAF sensor, Halltech wire harness pigtail for the connectors for plug and play wiring. This package has made close to 600 RWHP on 427 C5s (Boos Performance in MN). You must reflash the ECM with new MAF transfer curve tables. This is not optional since the new probe style MAF requires a totally different curve. We will make the MAF transfer curve tables available free of charge. They may need to be tweaked a bit, but you will get the car running with our MAF calibration tables.
Don't bother buying this intake if your Z06 is stock. This much airflow is totally unnecessary.

http://www.halltechsystems.com/product_p/kbls6conv.htm

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

The following users liked this post:
gmanflying (07-26-2018)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
2Qwik1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all goes according to plan, I will be doing a direct comparison between the Killer Bee II C5 conversion and the Breathless Performance systems that is currently installed on my car. Car currently makes 462 RWHP. This will be a redyno of the current setup than swap in and tune the Killer Bee II setup, tune and compare results.

Jim
Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 2Qwik1
If all goes according to plan, I will be doing a direct comparison between the Killer Bee II C5 conversion and the Breathless Performance systems that is currently installed on my car. Car currently makes 462 RWHP. This will be a redyno of the current setup than swap in and tune the Killer Bee II setup, tune and compare results.

Jim
Can't wait for the results.

Check out GM High Tech and Performance Magazine's article featuring our Killer Bee II C5 Conversion on page 020. 570 HP on a SuperFlow Chassis Dyno. 442 c.i.d. motor in a 99 C5 built by John Boos in MN. John has used our C5 Killer Bee II on several C5s over the past few years with great success.

You cannot simply install the intake without completely retuning the MAF Low and MAF high tables with LS7 calibration or the car will not even start. Once that is accomplished then full tuning can take place for best power for your application.

We have the C5 MAF tables for you if your tuner has not already got them.

Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 02-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 PM
2Qwik1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok have back to back comparison between Breathles Performance air intake system and the Halltech Killer Bee II C5 conversion.

First a little history my car is a stock cubic inch LS6 with Trick flow 215 heads, Comp Cams cam, Fast 90 intake with a ported LS2 throttle body, American Racing Headers and the rest of the mods in my sig.

We started with a quick dyno run with the Breathless system the results were 462 RWHP and 411 RWTQ, we then optimized the tune for the Breathless system and got 467 RWHP and 417 RWTQ, next we installed the Halltech Killer Bee II system, tuned it for the LS7 MAF and the results are 472 RWHP and 420 RWTQ, not as much as I had hoped to gain but considering my engine is still only 346 cubic inches it's still pretty good and in the end I've got 10 horsepower and 9LBFT or torque more than I had when this started. Dyno chart to follow.

Thanks goes to RameyBuilt for dyno services and Ed Hutchings for tuning services.

Last edited by 2Qwik1; 02-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 2Qwik1
Ok have back to back comparison between Breathles Performance air intake system and the Halltech Killer Bee II C5 conversion.

First a little history my car is a stock cubic inch LS6 with Trick flow 215 heads, Comp Cams cam, Fast 90 intake with a ported LS2 throttle body, American Racing Headers and the rest of the mods in my sig.

We started with a quick dyno run with the Breathless system the results were 462 RWHP and 411 RWTQ, we then optimized the tune for the Breathless system and got 467 RWHP and 417 RWTQ, next we installed the Halltech Killer Bee II system, tuned it for the LS7 MAF and the results are 472 RWHP and 420 RWTQ, not as much as I had hoped to gain but considering my engine is still only 346 cubic inches it's still pretty good and in the end I've got 10 horsepower and 9LBFT or torque more than I had. Dyno chart to follow.

Thanks goes to RameyBuilt for dyno services and Ed Hutchings for tuning services.
Did you tune beyond just the MAF tables? The new air would necessarily need corrected PE/RPM tables in open loop (WOT) What was the air fuel ratio with the Breathless pull vs the Halltech Killer Bee pull? New air without additional fuel can cause KR if the ratio is not reset.

I'm sure you tuner knew what he was doing. The dyno we posted above was a direct comparison between the Blackwing and our Killer Bee Conversion package. Unfortunately, they did not show air fuel ratio comparisons either.

I think you could have bumped the numbers higher with a little more tweaking, but good results anyway.

Jim Hall
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 PM
2Qwik1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you tune beyond just the MAF tables? The new air would necessarily need corrected PE/RPM tables in open loop (WOT) What was the air fuel ratio with the Breathless pull vs the Halltech Killer Bee pull? New air without additional fuel can cause KR if the ratio is not reset.

I'm sure you tuner knew what he was doing. The dyno we posted above was a direct comparison between the Blackwing and our Killer Bee Conversion package. Unfortunately, they did not show air fuel ratio comparisons either.

I think you could have bumped the numbers higher with a little more tweaking, but good results anyway.

Jim Hall
Jim,

All neccessary areas of the tune were tweaked to achieve the best gains possible, the AFR was right at 13:1 on the last pull, the Breathless Performance air intake system was a decent system, just near it's limit with my current set up. If I had more cubic inchs I think we would have seen much greater gains. I'll post the dyno chart as soon as I get it put up on my website.

Dyno chart posted the blue line is the last pull with the Breathless Performance system, the red line is the last pull with the Killer Bee II.

Jim

We were having some consistency issues with the dynos wide band O2 sensor between the initial dyno tune and this session, we are going to install a wideband O2 in the crossover pipe and do some more tuning at a later date.

Last edited by 2Qwik1; 02-04-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Good job!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Gamblor03
Advanced

thanks for the info! im gonna do this swap also wanted to see some dyno charts to see if it is worth it.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 PM
2Qwik1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Again my setup was a stock cubic inch LS6 with all the mods in my sig. The more cubic inchs you have the greater the gain you will see. I wanted a direct comparison of the two done on the same day with the same dyno and the same tuner tuning for both. This setup would be overkill on a stock engine and probably provide little if any gain, but on a big cube, or highly modified engine, I don't think you'll find a better system. In my opinion the Breathless Performance CAI was pretty good to about 450 RWHP, after that the filter and the air bridge inlet opening are too small.

HTH,

Jim
Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I have this intake and its very VERY good. My car made 473/400 with ms4 cam, longtubes and this intake. The intake has one problem, my hood is lifted in front just a bit. Are we supposed to cut open the rad inlet(plastic divider) to make room for the intake to go lower?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 PM
fmijares
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does this work with stock tb and intake manifold ?

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech C5 Killer Bee™ II Conversion Package

Quick Reply: [Z06] Halltech C5 Killer Bee™ II Conversion Package