Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] >>>List of C5Z06's with failed valvesprings, not always high mileage<<<.....PICS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
that's a massive list, but do your have the last 6 of the VIN(build sequence) and mileage????

Great data, but if we pinpoint the VIN's, a grouping may be seen.
I did the hard work already. A properly motivated individual could now PM all the people in that list to ask for their VIN and mileage at failure. Even if only half of them respond, there might still be enough data to spot a trend.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by skyavonee
I did the hard work already. A properly motivated individual could now PM all the people in that list to ask for their VIN and mileage at failure. Even if only half of them respond, there might still be enough data to spot a trend.

properly motivated person?
that's my life question right there.

2001-2004 owners...............SIMPLE, REPLACE VALVESPRINGS, done.

PROPER DECISION MAKING PROCESS.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
AZ 7TVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got at 2002 Z06 with 38k and stock springs no failure yet. Build is 5/02.

My questions are:

What are the part number of the GM replacement springs?
Do you also replace spark plugs and wires?
Do you also replace the valve seals?
Anything else?

I'd like to order everything at once and get the replacement going.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AZ 7TVETTE
I've got at 2002 Z06 with 38k and stock springs no failure yet. Build is 5/02.

My questions are:

What are the part number of the GM replacement springs?
Do you also replace spark plugs and wires?
Do you also replace the valve seals?
Anything else?

I'd like to order everything at once and get the replacement going.

Thanks
These recent threads answer all your questions:

corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/just-got-my-z-which-valve-springs-2.html

corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/10-year-vs-100k-service.html

corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/if-i-did-spring-work.html
Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

properly motivated person?
that's my life question right there.

2001-2004 owners...............SIMPLE, REPLACE VALVESPRINGS, done.

PROPER DECISION MAKING PROCESS.
I would only be worried if I had a 2002 model year Z06, or a 2003 Z06 that was built in 2002.

Last edited by skyavonee; 05-18-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Goal: to educate the owners/potential owners of C5Z06's the potential mishap that may occur and perhaps narrow down the year/VIN sequence of the affected LS6's.
I tried to do this years ago (there is a thread somewhere ... maybe find it and reference it here also).

Conclusion was there really isn't a specific VIN range. Only conclusion was that it can happen to 2002 and 2003 model years, and the 2002s have more frequent valve spring failures than the 2003s.

Update - did some searching and found my old polls. More data for your study.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ures-poll.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1557697864-post9.html

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 05-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I had heard of valve springs being an issue....but not that many!!

I threw a couple rods in my motor fall of last year.....just now getting close to putting in an LS3. I don't have the blown motor out yet.....maybe in the next few weeks....Now I'm wondering if this might be the cause....
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by skyavonee
So, valve spring failures are indeed a non-issue for 2001 and 2004 model years, as most already knew.
I wouldn't say it's a "non-issue" for 2004s. In Post #29 you list a few 2004s. Valve spring failures on 2004s is much less prevalent for sure ... but not totally a 100% non-issue.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 05-11-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:51 PM
boilerdawg
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my o3 Z had just over 40K miles on it. i finally dl some pics of the damage when i discovered what happened. check em out. amazing what a $10 spring can cost ya...

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...roke%20spring/
Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Yep ... this should be a good enough reason to get those stock valve springs out ASAP.

Name:  IMG00041-20110719-2102.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  IMG00044-20110719-2103.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  97.0 KB

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 05-12-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I wouldn't say it's a "non-issue" for 2004s. In Post #29 you list a few 2004s. Valve spring failures on 2004s is much less prevalent for sure ... but not totally a 100% non-issue.
I'm not confident saying anything on these cars (or any other car for that matter) is a 100% non-issue. How could one even confidently make such a claim? Freak accidents do occur. I think the numbers speak for themselves... I only found 3 reported cases each for the 01 and 04 model years, compared to 20 for the 03's, and 40+ for the 02's.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM
wSc*daywalker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

I also want to install new springs (my tuner recommends the PSI instead of the PAC´s) but I´m wondering really about his statement concerning the labor. Can you give me an understanding if this is realistic what he is writing me? I have you below his answer:

"To just change the springs out and install new ones would only take 2-3 hours. To install and shim to the correct height and tension will take 5-6 hours. We do not just change the springs, but set them up according to each individual cylinder measurement. In racing applications you need as much dynamic control for upper rpm performance, and by ensuring that each spring is assembled at the correct installed height and tension, then there will be no issues for you down the road. In full-on drag racing applications this step is absolutely crucial and as we treat every high-performance application as though it were going to the 24 hour of Lemans, this is the only way we install them."

Thanks guys, by the way, he estimates approx. $450 for 5 hours.
Let me know your thougths.

Thanks Rouven.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

You know something else to add to the list besides vin# but also ask Where a bouts was the engine rpm (if ones knows or can remember) when the failure occurred.
I still don't know yet if my engine failure was due to valve spring or not. But mine came apart at or right at the rev limiter (6500)

On a side note. Is there any legal recourse that can be taken against GM for an obvious and known problem like this? Or is this just "not enough failures" to be able to claim them at fault for a sub par component.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CarBoy
On a side note. Is there any legal recourse that can be taken against GM for an obvious and known problem like this? Or is this just "not enough failures" to be able to claim them at fault for a sub par component.
Only way GM is going to fix a valve spring failure is if the car was still under the power train warranty, or if the owner has an extended warranty that will cover the failure.

GM never put a recall out on the valve spring failure issue ... so owners are SOL unless they had/have a warranty that will cover it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Only way GM is going to fix a valve spring failure is if the car was still under the power train warranty, or if the owner has an extended warranty that will cover the failure.

GM never put a recall out on the valve spring failure issue ... so owners are SOL unless they had/have a warranty that will cover it.
That's why I asked about legal recourse.
Sometimes big companies have to be forced into doing the right thing.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 AM
KrispyZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wSc*daywalker
Guys,

I also want to install new springs (my tuner recommends the PSI instead of the PAC´s) but I´m wondering really about his statement concerning the labor. Can you give me an understanding if this is realistic what he is writing me? I have you below his answer:

"To just change the springs out and install new ones would only take 2-3 hours. To install and shim to the correct height and tension will take 5-6 hours. We do not just change the springs, but set them up according to each individual cylinder measurement. In racing applications you need as much dynamic control for upper rpm performance, and by ensuring that each spring is assembled at the correct installed height and tension, then there will be no issues for you down the road. In full-on drag racing applications this step is absolutely crucial and as we treat every high-performance application as though it were going to the 24 hour of Lemans, this is the only way we install them."

Thanks guys, by the way, he estimates approx. $450 for 5 hours.
Let me know your thougths.

Thanks Rouven.
What your tuner said about valve spring jobs is true for older SBC engines (but not for ours) he is referring to valve lash which is set by net build on our cars. While there is no shim and adjust needed on our engines, it is however, important to torque the rocker trunion bolts down in the specified order in the manual.

I did my valvesprings a few weeks ago, the whole job took about 6 hours, spaced out over a week or so.

Totally worth the piece of mind.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

You know something else to add to the list besides vin# but also ask Where a bouts was the engine rpm (if ones knows or can remember) when the failure occurred.
Many of the reported cases happened while idling or at low rpm cruise.

Get notified of new replies

To >>>List of C5Z06's with failed valvesprings, not always high mileage<<<.....PICS.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:14 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

That's why I asked about legal recourse.
Sometimes big companies have to be forced into doing the right thing.
I think this issue has been reported to the NHTSA by many people (I think there was someone on this board trying to rally a campain), and apparently the NHTSA didn't consider this serious enough to force a recall on GM. GM never "volunteered" a recall ... instead, they took their chances and covered failures that were still under warranty.

I highly doubt any legal action by any channel is going to get anywhere now, being this issue is now 10 years old.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 05-14-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
boilerdawg
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this issue has been reported to the NHTSA by many people (I think there was someone on this board trying to rally a campain), and apparently the NHTSA didn't consider this serious enough to force a recall on GM. GM never "volunteered" a recall ... instead, they took their chances and covered failures that were still under warranty.

I highly doubt any legal action by any channel is going to get anywhere not being this issue is now 10 years old.
i think youre exactly right. what I mean is my car was 8 years old when the spring failed. Like many of you guys i try to limit the mileage on the car. hell i didnt break 36K miles until it was over 8 years old. no way will GM warranty a product that old without an extended warranty of some type. if more of us would drive our cars like it was a volkswagen then more failures would have occured in a shorter time frame. maybe then GM would have been forced to step up and do something about the problem.

BTW i was cruising at about 45MPH, low rpms when the spring broke.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 AM
dart.deanda
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Broken Valve Spring

I broke a VS (at idle) on my 03 Z06, and when it was replaced the guy saw another one that was replaced with a non-Z06 spring, so he replaced that one as well. Cylinders 3 and 7. I was planning on doing my springs this month with the Patriot double springs. I moved out to Australia and the car has been in transit getting shipped over here. Today I got it on the road finally. I think I just broke another spring. Except instead of the lucky break I got last time where the spring collapsed in on itself, this time I cannot turn over the motor. I was waiting for my electric gate to open up, sitting there at idle, when the motor started chattering and then shook really hard, and then just gave out (took less than 10 seconds). I tried to turn it over three times and it sounds like something is binding up. It doesn't seem able to make a revolution. If I just walked out to the car, I would think the starter or flywheel is having a problem, but that little shake and hiss reminded me of the other valve spring (that I drove home 400 miles on), and now the inability to crank makes me think this is a biggie. Any ideas? My car is a 03 Z06 built in August 02, VIN ends in 035105976. Can not believe I waited too long. Fingers still crossed until I pull the valve covers. Does anyone know who will ship a long block to Australia? If I have to replace the motor what else should I do while I'm in there? Clutch & PP, what other mods? BTW, I don't need any reminders of what a moron I was not to just replace them all at the time, but circumstances are what they are. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by dart.deanda; 05-15-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] >>>List of C5Z06's with failed valvesprings, not always high mileage<<<.....PICS.