Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Does the fixed antenna require power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default Does the fixed antenna require power?

I know this may sound stupid, but does the fixed antenna require a power source for some kind of amplifier or signal booster I was unaware of?? After installing my Kenwood dx318 head unit, my radio reception is horrible. Ive got the black antenna adapter so that the factory antenna cable plugs into the back of the head unit properly, but is there something else that needs power?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting question. I thought it was just a straight line to the antenna also.

Toque
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't remember doing anything aside from plugging the antenna into the back of the receiver like you did when I installed my Kenwood head unit.

Maybe the guys over in Audio/Electronics have some ideas about what might be plaguing you.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No power. Fixed antenna is just that, a long coax cable. From the back of the head unit down to the rear corner of the car is 1 piece. In the back corner, before it exits into the quarter panel, it does connect to the second piece. If you were in there playing around with the rear speaker maybe you snagged it? After this it goes right into the antenna. The antenna itself grounds to the bumper inside the rear corner.

You can check the extension by removing the rear panel on the passenger side of the trunk. To check the antenna itself and/or ground remove the right most rear turn/brake light and you can get at them.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

thanks guys, I checked everything today, from the back of the head unit all the way back to the antenna and the ground in the rear....everything connected as it should be.

I cant figure out for the life of me why the radio reception is so awful....Im in the middle of Norfolk VA, so its not like theres any shortage of radio stations or antennas. Plus all the stations come in perfectly fine in my truck. Im stumped
Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
thanks guys, I checked everything today, from the back of the head unit all the way back to the antenna and the ground in the rear....everything connected as it should be.

I cant figure out for the life of me why the radio reception is so awful....Im in the middle of Norfolk VA, so its not like theres any shortage of radio stations or antennas. Plus all the stations come in perfectly fine in my truck. Im stumped
If you used to get good reception with your old radio in your vette, then maybe there is a problem with your new stereo you just installed.
You may have a bad stereo out of the box.

Toque
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the install on new stereo may not have been done correctly.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

I did the install myself, and have been using it for the past 6 months or so, and everything works perfectly, with the exception of the horrible radio reception
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
I did the install myself, and have been using it for the past 6 months or so, and everything works perfectly, with the exception of the horrible radio reception
I was not questioning your install. Just maybe the stereo itself has an issue with the FM modulator inside it.

Toque
Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
I was not questioning your install. Just maybe the stereo itself has an issue with the FM modulator inside it.

Toque
He was responding to vettegirl, not you. I agree with you, though, that the stereo might just have a manufacturing defect.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

sorry, didnt mean to imply that you were, I was just saying that the rest of the radio has worked fine since purchasing, and Im fairly certain everything is hooked up properly...Ive checked it all 3 times now. Unfortunately, Im not well enough versed in the inner workings of a radio to know whether everything could work perfectly with the FM portion not functional, or defective from the factory. At this point I guess Im stuck with it as I think I tossed the box and paperwork in my most recent move.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the fixed antenna require power?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Does the fixed antenna require power?