Sponsored by:

[Z06] Locked out of reverse after MGW Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:20 AM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locked out of reverse after MGW Shifter

Installed the MGW shifter yesterday as per their video and install went really smooth. Also installed a new C6 shifter box which adds the rubber dampeners. Shifter worked great after the install, however since last night I have not been able to get into reverse.

I have tried to shift into reverse with the engine on or off and still can't get it, I don't think I can exert any more force without breaking something else. With the stock shifter it would take a little effort, but I would normally shift into 1st gear and then right into reverse.

The one weird thing I noticed is that while in neutral, I can move the shift **** left and right about 1" before it hits the return spring for the 1/2 and 5/6 gates. Basically I move it to the left and stays in there, and then move it to the right about 1" and it stays in there. I don't know if this is normal for the MGW but it wasn't the case with the stock shifter.

Any help appreciated. I have emailed MGW but they probably won't get back to me until the new week.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 AM
hxrly
Racer

George from MGW just got back to me. I have a couple of things to check, will update later.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 AM
hxrly
Racer

Fixed thanks to George@MGW lighting's fast customer service, even on a Saturday.

The t-40 bolt in the coupling that holds the shifter linkage to the rod was a bit lose, creating the play I was experiencing in neutral, and not letting me go into reverse. I did put some blue loctite but didn't torque it down enough. It's all good now after giving it a final torque revision.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hxrly
Fixed thanks to George@MGW lighting's fast customer service, even on a Saturday.

The t-40 bolt in the coupling that holds the shifter linkage to the rod was a bit lose, creating the play I was experiencing in neutral, and not letting me go into reverse. I did put some blue loctite but didn't torque it down enough. It's all good now after giving it a final torque revision.
Thanks for updating us with the solution.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:54 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

George from MGW just got back to me. I have a couple of things to check, will update later.
I just installed the MGW shifter on a GS. I am having the exact same problem. I need to use two hands to shift into the Reverse. Where is the T-40 bolt???
Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chsia
I just installed the MGW shifter on a GS. I am having the exact same problem. I need to use two hands to shift into the Reverse. Where is the T-40 bolt???

The problem turned out not to be a problem. In order to shift into Reverse easily, one needs to turn on the car so the transmission lockout solenoid will disengage the coil spring locking out the gear change. This important notice is at the of C5 installation video and not in C6's. For anyone who is thinking there is something wrong with the shifter, turn on the juice.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 AM
hxrly
Racer

chsia is right, do it with the car on. My problem was I could not get into reverse at all because the coupling bolt that connects the shifter linkage to the shifting rod wasn't tight enough.

After a week of breaking it in, reverse goes in smooth (car on, of course). I'm really liking the MGW shifter.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chsia
The problem turned out not to be a problem. In order to shift into Reverse easily, one needs to turn on the car so the transmission lockout solenoid will disengage the coil spring locking out the gear change. This important notice is at the of C5 installation video and not in C6's. For anyone who is thinking there is something wrong with the shifter, turn on the juice.
Same thing randomly happens on my 2000 Camaro SS, even while running.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

OP how do you like your MGW? I just installed one in my Z06 as well. I left the solid shifter box since it only had 25k on it and I prefer the more solid feel. The car already had a factory C6 shifter and **** in it and when I used the MGW C6 stick I felt it was a little tall for my liking. I also bought an extra C5 stick so I will be putting a Hurst ball on to see how that feels. Overall the shifter to me is great. It is very stiff at first, but I am getting used to it. George's instructional video was the best I have ever seen. Will be installing another MGW on my fathers C6 this week. That will probably need the new box @ 80k miles.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
hxrly
Racer

I'm liking the shifter so far, shorter throws and improved precision. It's notchy for sure, but so was the stock shifter. I definitely want to try the washer trick to loosen it up and see if I like it.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

I'm liking the shifter so far, shorter throws and improved precision. It's notchy for sure, but so was the stock shifter. I definitely want to try the washer trick to loosen it up and see if I like it.
Notchy, thats what I'm sayin too. I know its the tranny itself though and already have the copper washers waiting to get the car in the air. Should be really nice once thats done. On a side note, I had a blonde moment last night with my shifter. I took apart the C6 stick in order to install the threaded C5 stick to try out the Hurst ball. Whoops, I bought the Camaro ball thinking the MGW stick was 16mm, DOH! Have to wait till tomorrow for the 9/16 ball to come in.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 AM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Love my MGW shifter too. Made the same mistake as I did not torque the T-40 bolt tight enough. Spoke to George and he directed me to the fix.
Shifts great and is very precise as compared to the stock shifter. Just finished a 1380 mile trip to Bowling Green ( Museum, Beech Bend Raceway, Jack Daniels Distillery) with my son. Had a fantastic time and the C5Z ran great....Avg.28 mpg!

Regards,

Fred
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 AM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Quick update for those interested. I put the Hurst ball on in place of the stock C6 **** I was using. I like it alot more. The MGW shaft could have been threaded more to allow the ball to be screwed down lower, but no big deal, I bought a 9/16-18 die and will thread it myself. The problem is the locknut for the ball takes up alot of threads.

Get notified of new replies

To Locked out of reverse after MGW Shifter

Quick Reply: [Z06] Locked out of reverse after MGW Shifter