Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] will C5Z be a collectable ?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by arkus
thats the thing , you never know which model will demand big bucks .
True. My point is that it's foolish to just store a C5 Z in the hopes that someday it will bring big bucks. There are better investment options out there.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

It may take a while but the C5 Z06 and FRC's will be more desirable than the coupe/vert.
For sure they will be worth more too.
It not for looks, then for the low volume made.

Toque
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
rcrflyby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
a lighter car with direct injection is garbage?
Deleted e-argument starter

Last edited by rcrflyby; 12-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
a lighter car with direct injection is garbage?
There's always resistance from some to new releases. In a decade the current naysayers will own them and call the future generation cars garbage.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

40 years from now, I think any of the "upper end" Corvette models are clearly going to be the more desirable models. As far as the "big money" collector cars, I imagine the C6Z has very good potential to be a big money collector if the 427 goes away. C5Z's may also have a place due to the FRC's.

This is all speculation though, and frankly....who cares at this piont..lol?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrflyby
Deleted e-argument starter
the e-argument starter was that blind statement you made about the C7 being junk...lol. You based this on...nothing?

The only info really available is the outward body design (which may not be entirely accurate), the motor with limited details, and that's about it. Based upon its performance in GranTurismo5, the car is extremely capable..appearing to possibly be as fast at the Nurburgring as the C6Z.

How this is junk, based on the limited info available, just strikes me as a very, very ignorant statement.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I think the FRC body-style will be desirable, but not necessarily "collectable". Heck, I have a "special Commemerative Edition" Z16 and mod it and drive it hard...not worried about resale.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Collectable- no, desireable-maybe.
but it'll be another 40-50yrs. My personal car- never, unless you like superior good looks, 500rwhp/490rwyq, and a history of driving it properly.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Collectible? Maybe in 40 years. But I doubt you'll be able to afford 18 gallons of gasoline in 2052.

Here's the thing. There IS a big difference between 60's/70's classic cars and modern cars. Specifically, in the electronics and computer systems.

The 60's/70's muscle cars are relatively simple machines by today's standards. They're mostly mechanical. They're easy to work on, fix, repair, whatever...with basic garage tools. Most shade tree mechanics can handle it.

On the other hand, modern cars have extremely complex electronics and computer systems. I have to imagine that these systems are going to be a nightmare to keep running in 40 years. In some cases, you may not be able to find parts at all. It may just end up being too expensive or too problematic for potential collectors.

I don't expect them (or any modern Corvette) to be worth much in the future. So I'm driving mine as much as possible.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

For anything to be collectable, there has to be a demographic group that has the desire to have any one item. Look at mid century cars, the group that has a connection and desire to own them is now starting to die out. And depending on how next generations are educated there may be no desier for collector cars of any kind.

That said, having a hi performance, easy to maintain, good looking C5 Z06 at an affordable cost (know matter the milage) will alway have a place on the Desierable list. Just not at the money our generation (that includes you sub 30 types) think they should bring.

Mark
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 366 Likes on 313 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by jpalamar
Nope. It's just a car that should be driven hard and a lot.
Originally Posted by DvX
i think maybe the super low run ones (SW and z16) will be in like 20-30 more years lol
Originally Posted by ctusser
Less so than the 90's ZR-1's and they aren't very collectable yet.
Likely some truth above. However, as much as I love the C4 ZR-1s, the C5Zs are more loved by the people that were young when they were new, making it the attainable dream car like a big block 69 Camaro, C2/C3 427. ZR-1s were modded less often and tracked less often making for a higher survival rate. The masses also have a fear of getting parts or finding a good mechanic for the LT5.

I also think that in 20 years original C5Zs will go up in value because so many were modded. Original clean Notchback Fox bodies have gone up over the past 10 years, most were modded and driven hard. With that said they will still likely sell for less than they do now.

Last edited by 93Polo; 12-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM
JoeJ
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

It's all due to market conditions and none of us can predict what the future will bring. 60 era muscle cars developed value because of actions the insurance industry and petroleum prices drove the big three to do. Back in the day you could hardly give away a LS6 Chevelle. It took the automotive industry 25 years to recover after that. Today we have modern muscle that exceeds what was produced then, but it’s at 10 times the cost and much of the styling is inferior. All we can do is wait and see, enjoy the cars now, but if you are buying it as an investment, you should re-think that decision.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DvX
i think maybe the super low run ones (SW and z16) will be in like 20-30 more years lol
well my kids hope so anyway, as I will not be around. probably room temp by then!!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
2kFRC_HWN
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I wondered about this.. I just sold my old notchback mustang for almost as much as I bought the frc for. Pure speculation but looking at the value of this generation of vette to the fox mustang, I think in the long run the notch would've eventually commanded more money. But I must say that i enjoy driving this much more!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM
khartford
Pro

Received 630 Likes on 257 Posts

Hi Arkus,
I think so. V8s are disappearing fast.
Remember the discussion about the C7 having a turbo or supercharged V6?
We're at the end of an era.
Regards,
Ken
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I would like to think they will be collectible but it won't be in my lifetime and if it is it would have to be super low mileage ones. I can't buy a car and just let it sit. On a side note I miss my C5Z
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeJ
It's all due to market conditions and none of us can predict what the future will bring. 60 era muscle cars developed value because of actions the insurance industry and petroleum prices drove the big three to do. Back in the day you could hardly give away a LS6 Chevelle. It took the automotive industry 25 years to recover after that. Today we have modern muscle that exceeds what was produced then, but it’s at 10 times the cost and much of the styling is inferior. All we can do is wait and see, enjoy the cars now, but if you are buying it as an investment, you should re-think that decision.
I agree with your whole post

Get notified of new replies

To will C5Z be a collectable ?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
79inSD
Racer

My 03 just got totaled by a drunk driver so one less there But I think they might. Just think how many less there are each year. I am sure thousands have bet junked from accidents. Was looking at KBB and says mine was worth 27750 and a 08 z is at like 38000. So they are holding the prices pretty good.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kFRC_HWN
I wondered about this.. I just sold my old notchback mustang for almost as much as I bought the frc for. Pure speculation but looking at the value of this generation of vette to the fox mustang, I think in the long run the notch would've eventually commanded more money. But I must say that i enjoy driving this much more!
You sold a notch Fox for FRC money? You made out on that deal for sure... Don't think the Foxes will ever be worth more on average than C5s. Too many made and to low of an entry price...

I currently wouldn't pay more than $6K for a Fox unless it was a 1993 Cobra. You can find plenty of decent ones around here for $5K and project Foxes for $2K...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM
2kFRC_HWN
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the FRC for a good price... and the fox had money into it. Nothing exotic... but much faster than my vette (for now anyhow!) Lol! In the past few years the fox mustangs have been creeping up in price, apparently its getting harder to find one without significant rust.

I wonder if its going to be like first gen camaros. Dime a dozen before but hard to find for reasonable cost now. Dunno??

Originally Posted by danziger
You sold a notch Fox for FRC money? You made out on that deal for sure... Don't think the Foxes will ever be worth more on average than C5s. Too many made and to low of an entry price...

I currently wouldn't pay more than $6K for a Fox unless it was a 1993 Cobra. You can find plenty of decent ones around here for $5K and project Foxes for $2K...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] will C5Z be a collectable ?