-- pull out of gear / no clutch - Safe? --

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 PM
gtbbaby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default -- pull out of gear / no clutch - Safe? --

Hey guys,

Have a '98 'vert with manual tranny - having problems with left knee and I've been putting trans in neutral without using clutch when slowing down. From my limited knowledge I don't think I'm hurting anything but just want to be sure.Any input would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, you're not hurting anything by doing that. Hope the knee gets better.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
No, you're not hurting anything by doing that. Hope the knee gets better.
Shifting CAN be done without the clutch but is not advised/good for the tranny. But into neutral shouldn't be a problem.

Hope the knee gets better! I know the feeling.... Sucks
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Taking out of gear not a problem , but when you stop you have to start out again , Still need to use the clutch . THATS A PROBLEM ! This question does not even make sense !
Old 06-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Taking out of gear not a problem , but when you stop you have to start out again , Still need to use the clutch . THATS A PROBLEM !

Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda sad that I never knew you could safely go from in gear to neutral without using the clutch...
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM
TB1300
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also sometimes shift into neutral without the clutch. It doesn't hurt anything, as long as the car has slowed down to the point where the engine rpm is at idle speed. At that point it shifts into neutral as easily as it does if the clutch is used.

If you do this when the engine speed is higher than idle, then it takes a lot more force to move the shifter into neutral. I avoid this. I suspect this could lead to dogs, or other transmission parts getting rounded off. It would probably take a lot of cycles before this would cause any real damage, but I avoid it anyway. If you are forcing it, you probably are not doing the transmission any favors.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 PM
gtbbaby
Instructor

yes, but I'm reducing my "knee" useage by at least 25% ............ every little bit helps - and I don't want to go to an auto thanks.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:20 PM
gtbbaby
Instructor

Originally Posted by TB1300
I also sometimes shift into neutral without the clutch. It doesn't hurt anything, as long as the car has slowed down to the point where the engine rpm is at idle speed. At that point it shifts into neutral as easily as it does if the clutch is used.

If you do this when the engine speed is higher than idle, then it takes a lot more force to move the shifter into neutral. I avoid this. I suspect this could lead to dogs, or other transmission parts getting rounded off. It would probably take a lot of cycles before this would cause any real damage, but I avoid it anyway. If you are forcing it, you probably are not doing the transmission any favors.
Good point, I'll keep an eye on the Tac - thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by gtbbaby
Good point, I'll keep an eye on the Tac - thanks.
The point where it is easiest to do is not necessarily at idle. It depends on how fast you are going and which gear you are in. It's easiest at the point where there is no load on the transmission. The rpm of the engine is neither accelerating or decelerating the car. My explanation makes perfect sense to me.....not so sure it will anyone else.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

That's the sign of a good truck driver when you can shift without using the clutch, but it sure is a pain when your clutch goes out and you have multiple red lights! Been there, done that.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00
Shifting CAN be done without the clutch but is not advised/good for the tranny. But into neutral shouldn't be a problem.

Hope the knee gets better! I know the feeling.... Sucks
I've had to drive more delivery trucks (14' step vans) from one side of the city to the other through traffic without a working clutch more times than I care to think about.

Learning to match the engine RPM and vehicle speed isn't that bad after you've done it for a while.

Coming to a complete stop and starting out again in traffics is the only real issue.

That's when you hope the battery is good and the engine tuned for an easy start.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Its like the road course bike I used to own, you could go all the way up the gears without the clutch but had to use it to go back down. Just load the pedal and back off the throttle and it slips right in.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:50 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue 92
I've had to drive more delivery trucks (14' step vans) from one side of the city to the other through traffic without a working clutch more times than I care to think about.

Learning to match the engine RPM and vehicle speed isn't that bad after you've done it for a while.

Coming to a complete stop and starting out again in traffics is the only real issue.

That's when you hope the battery is good and the engine tuned for an easy start.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 AM
gtbbaby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blue 92

Thanks for all the info gentlemen ........ but I'm still shifting with the clutch, it's just that I thought I could save wear & tear on my knee as I come up to a stop sign/red light-pull shifter without clutch into neutral-and coast/brake as I approach stop sign/red light. From all your opinions it looks like I'm not doing any damage to tranny. I never down shift ...... brakes are cheaper to replace than the clutch.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
gtbbaby
Instructor

Originally Posted by bj1k
Taking out of gear not a problem , but when you stop you have to start out again , Still need to use the clutch . THATS A PROBLEM ! This question does not even make sense !
duh! Of course everyone knows you have to use clutch when upshifting - either you can't comprehend English or maybe a little short in the IQ dept. ?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

It is best to pull it out of gear with low-no load on the trans...to lightly pull on the shifter as you decelerate until it comes out of gear by. On an old truck I had a clutch failure and had to drive home with an engaged clutch (pressure plate failure). Had to start it in gear at every stop and RPM match to shift

Get notified of new replies

To -- pull out of gear / no clutch - Safe? --

Quick Reply: -- pull out of gear / no clutch - Safe? --