Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2001 Z06 - Pronounced Whirring

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:18 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Z06 - Pronounced Whirring

Hi guys - Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. My dad just picked up a 2001 Z06. The car is great and seems to be running perfectly but there is a very distinctive and pronounced 'whirring' noise (almost sounds like a jet engine on take off) coming from the middle of the car just behind the seats. It isn't a constant noise and seems to be more pronounced under acceleration between 40 and 60mph. I know Z06s aren't quiet cars but I do want to make sure what we are hearing is normal for a Z06. I don't get this type of noise in my C5 (Automatic) so I don't really have a good point of comparison for him.

I did some searches but am not coming up with anything quite like this. He is planning to order a partition to make long trips a little quieter but we do want to make sure this is a typical Z06 noise and not something that needs to be addressed mechanically. Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

take the car out of gear and release the clutch at that speed and see if it still does it. the throw out bearing is a common cause of that in any car

if it does not go away and it's constant only at certain speeds and not others i would start suspecting rear end gears. i have an old jeep that does the same thing, 45-55mph, it's slop in the rear diff in that case

still, you have to test through this stuff or it's all just guessing
Old 08-18-2013, 04:41 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Will try it thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
XFit
Intermediate

No noise when taken out of gear. Also if you let up on the gas it also stops. It seems to only be there under load and closer to 60mph.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

that just helped you realize it's probably not a driveline or gearbox problem.

you either have a failing throw out bearing or whining rear end gears. i've seen gearsets do that, only certain rpms and certain speeds

if any of the shop guys who deal with drivetrain issues come in see what they say. if you have either problem i suspect there's really not a lot of damage to be done by neglecting it till it fails. you would be replacing parts either way. a hard failure would actually be nice for the repair since you would know what broke

you could probably try and trace it to the throwout bearing by getting the car up to speed, taking it out of gear, letting the clutch out and listening, as you said there is no noise. now, if noise comes on when you push the clutch in that's very likely the TB. if noise doesn't start until you are under power the rear gears are suspect

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Z06 - Pronounced Whirring

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2001 Z06 - Pronounced Whirring