Sponsored by:

[Z06] aftermarket rotors/pads or OEMs? 03 z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Default aftermarket rotors/pads or OEMs? 03 z06

I have about 14k on my 03 z06. Rotors are kinda warped up front. Do I spend the extra and go with an aftermarket "performance" set or do I do the OEM rotor and a nice aftermarket pad ?

Im torn because the car has such low mileage IDK if I wanna do aftermarket rotors. Also the factory design IMO is good.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 AM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
I have about 14k on my 03 z06. Rotors are kinda warped up front. Do I spend the extra and go with an aftermarket "performance" set or do I do the OEM rotor and a nice aftermarket pad ?

Im torn because the car has such low mileage IDK if I wanna do aftermarket rotors. Also the factory design IMO is good.
The stock C5 Z06 rotors on all 4 years of production are crap. I have had 3 C5 Z06's (looking to buy a 4th one now), all different years and they all warped and cracked with just street driving. I believe GM went with the thinnest, cheapest rotors they could get away with on the C5 Z. It is the weakest link of those years, well that and the sticking clutch issues.

A nice low cost option is the Baer Eradispeed rotors for street use.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:58 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i've never seen stock rotors crack, even with HT10s

cheap would be ac delco or raybestos rotors, roughly 30 each via amazon

eradispeeds are like $500-600? how is that cheap?

if you have a habit of wasting rotors, i would just buy multiples of the ac delcos, get the best pads you can afford and switch them out if you wreck one. rotors are a disposable product
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Originally Posted by racebum
i've never seen stock rotors crack, even with HT10s

cheap would be ac delco or raybestos rotors, roughly 30 each via amazon

eradispeeds are like $500-600? how is that cheap?

if you have a habit of wasting rotors, i would just buy multiples of the ac delcos, get the best pads you can afford and switch them out if you wreck one. rotors are a disposable product
I don't have a habit of wasting rotors lol they were kinda warped a little when I got the car actually...

I can get delco at cost
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Last summer I did a ton of research on brake rotors and pads for my C5. I don't track my car, just drive it as a summer toy. I was looking to upgrade both the look and performance of my brakes over OEM, but just for spirited street driving.

The choices are mind numbing , but here is where I netted out...

Power Slot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads (I did not go with the cryo option). I never got around to installing them last year, so cannot give you any real world experience yet.

These are mid-level components, as far as I can tell. Certainly you can buy higher performance rotors and pads - and spend a lot more money. You can also buy cheaper components...but remember the old adage - you get what you pay for (or less).

For my intended use, these appear to be the best components for the money. Time will tell...
Old 04-29-2014, 02:49 PM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I myself went with the BrakeMotive set for just under 200 shipped. They have a big thread on LS1Tech.

This is my 5th set, 2 F Bodies, 2 escalades, and now the Vette. I love them. I've never had an issue. They have a warranty against warpage as well.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:14 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I would recommend powerslot, EBC, Baer decelarotor, or depending on how much coin you wanna spend, DBA. You can get varying degrees of DBA rotor price, so research a bit - they make very nice stuff looks wise and performance wise.

I've run both EBC and Hawk pads on the street, hawk pads - even the ceramics - tend to dust worse in the applications I used them (GTO and G8).

A big difference in brake feel and consistency will be found by swapping out to stainless lines, I think no matter what doing this and upgrading to some good fluid will be the best bang for the buck, of course pads are important too - but for street use rotors are not as much a priority as long as they're decent quality.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 AM
klinderborg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There are 1000 people on this board with 1000 opinions - here's mine.
Define your purpose for the car. If it lives on the street and not on the track stay with the stock set up. When I traded the C4 for the C5 I was amazed at how good the brakes were by comparison. Save your money and take your honey on a nice week end. If you want looks, shop for slotted or drilled rotors with stock pads. If you are going to be spending time on the race track or autocrossing get serious and buy really aggressive pads , "standard" rotors, and some high temp brake fluid, but be prepared for brake dust on your wheels. A lot of times on low mileage cars the rotors get rusty spots which causes the pedal to pulsate. It's not really a wobble. Good luck.
Ken
Old 05-02-2014, 01:18 AM
CGGS
Pro

Originally Posted by klinderborg
There are 1000 people on this board with 1000 opinions - here's mine.
Define your purpose for the car. If it lives on the street and not on the track stay with the stock set up. When I traded the C4 for the C5 I was amazed at how good the brakes were by comparison. Save your money and take your honey on a nice week end. If you want looks, shop for slotted or drilled rotors with stock pads. If you are going to be spending time on the race track or autocrossing get serious and buy really aggressive pads , "standard" rotors, and some high temp brake fluid, but be prepared for brake dust on your wheels. A lot of times on low mileage cars the rotors get rusty spots which causes the pedal to pulsate. It's not really a wobble. Good luck.
Ken
You are correct, we all have our opinions.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree because the main reason for the OP thread has to do with rotor warpage and not braking performance. The stock Z stops very well (one of the best for its time and even by today's standards pretty damn good)

BUT...

The simple fact is the stock rotors that GM put on the C5 Z are the cheapest/thinnest they could get away with. They will warp even with just street driving. Trust me, I have owned 3 C5 Z's and all of them were only street driven and all 3 of them had the rotors replaced by GM for warpage and one from warping and hairline cracks and all within 5K miles.

In all 3 cases, I ended up with Bear Eradispeed rotors (a moderate priced option) and never had warping issues again. There are probably cheaper options, but I liked the looks of them as well.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGS

While I respect your opinion, I disagree because the main reason for the OP thread has to do with rotor warpage and not braking performance. The stock Z stops very well (one of the best for its time and even by today's standards pretty damn good)

BUT...

The simple fact is the stock rotors that GM put on the C5 Z are the cheapest/thinnest they could get away with. They will warp even with just street driving. Trust me, I have owned 3 C5 Z's and all of them were only street driven and all 3 of them had the rotors replaced by GM for warpage and one from warping and hairline cracks and all within 5K miles.

In all 3 cases, I ended up with Bear Eradispeed rotors (a moderate priced option) and never had warping issues again. There are probably cheaper options, but I liked the looks of them as well.
fk no they aren't the oem rotors are cast in brazil from high carbon iron, a better rotor than the ac delco replacements

i have never seen a stock rotor crack even with HT10s taking them over 1000deg

i also pulled a set that had 94k miles, were grooved like hell and had no cracks. the iron is great compared to the standard replacements

if you're doing hardcore road racing and using the DTC compounds that stay in that 1000-1500deg range the entire time maybe it's a concern but if you're doing that you're also vaporzing the booties on the calipers

brake pads last what? 20-30k miles, less if you drive hard? that's what? 2 years of driving. beings you change the rotors with every pad swap $600 a pair just for the fronts is expensive just for the bling
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

I street it with some drag racing... only replacing them because they are warped. How they got warped not sure were like that already.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:20 PM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

here is the difference between the brakemotive brakes that i cracked with aggessive braking. Brakemotive on the left. KNS slotted on the right. Drilled rotors crack more easily.

cracked rotor from front. Only like 3k miles on them.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 PM
AirborneZ06
Advanced

I went with the Calahan Rotors (Ebay, equivalent to Brake Motive) I got a set of rotors drilled/slotted with some ceramic brake pads for like 200$. I race my car at the track and daily drive it. They work perfectly for me, no issues whatsoever. Ive had them for like 5K miles now, btw.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

For a little extra coin you can get a C6 Z51 brackets and oem drilled rotors from Gene Culley with the oem Z51 pads or better quality after market pads. The Z51 rotors are good quality and also larger diameter, drilled and slotted for improved looks and performance over C5z rotors. This upgrade has been done by many with no downside. The larger diameter rotors provide more brake torque and are larger to dissipate heat better than C5z size if you plan on spirited driving.

You could call KNS brakes for rotor and pad options but you'll need oem C6 Z51 caliper brackets to install larger diameter rotors. For the street, flush and bleed with DOT 4 fluid and you'll be refreshed and upgraded. Stainless lines are not needed or necessary but if you have $75-95 it would be wise to replace 10 year old oem rubber lines and complete your overhaul and performance upgrade.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 AM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

The ones on my car...

FRONT:

REAR:

ALL TOGETHER:

Christian
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Did you ever see disc italia rotors ??
Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

All you need is some Centric premium rotors and a set of Carbotech 1521 pads. Job done. I have the pads F $140 R $120. Rotors can be found online cheap.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To aftermarket rotors/pads or OEMs? 03 z06

Old 05-06-2014, 09:55 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
All you need is some Centric premium rotors and a set of Carbotech 1521 pads. Job done. I have the pads F $140 R $120. Rotors can be found online cheap.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
do you sell the rotors as well ?

also I do take it to the drag strip sometimes will those pads be ok ?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
do you sell the rotors as well ?

also I do take it to the drag strip sometimes will those pads be ok ?
I do not sell rotors but I can tell you where to get them at the best price

As far as drag racing these pads are more than adequate for stopping I have customers using them in mile events.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default rotors

Originally Posted by CGGS

BUT...

I also replaced my rotors with Bear Eradispeed rotors and Hawk pads. One of the best moves I have made on my car. I even went as far as putting the caliper covers on and they look great.!!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] aftermarket rotors/pads or OEMs? 03 z06