[Z06] Z06 Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 PM
mgtveloce
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Track Car

Folk,
I'm "casually" looking at C5 Z06 for use as a track car - open track days primarily. My intention is to convert a good condition "stock" example into track use, and I'm interested to know what are "must have" and "nice to have" track modifications - brakes, tranny cooler, oil cooler ...? Also, particular strengths/weakness in particular year of mfg? Hope you can help.
Thanks !
Old 03-16-2016, 08:04 PM
mgtveloce
3rd Gear

Default What about this one?

I saw this one posted in my local area https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5453038488.html. Was wondering if the listed mods sound appropriate/make sense. It sounds like the seller knows my track (LS) - sound requirement is very real, so I'm thinking they do have some experience there. Let me know what you think - mods also listed below:

I've upgraded to a newer Z06 so it's time to let my baby go. I've owned this beauty since she had only 4,500 miles. She now sits at 56,885 miles. This car has always been garage-kept, and it shows. The entire car inside and out is immaculate, as seen in the photos. I spared no expense maintaining this car. You won't find a cleaner, more capable C5 Z06.
This car has been modified with the best brands and highest quality parts, no corners were cut. With nearly 500 horsepower and lb/ft of torque, this Z06 is a force to be reckoned with. Looking at the car you'd think it's pretty much a stock Z06, but a closer look will unveil dozens of upgrades. Upgrades have been made to just about every inch of this car, including the big brake kit, coilovers, cam kit, sparco seat w/ 6-point harness, C6 Z06 clutch, and more. The full list of modifications and major services is listed below.
Upgrades:
LG G5X3 Cam and springs KIT - 234/242, .600, .610, 112/114 - please see below for details
Melrose ceramic coated long tube headers
Cold air intake- K&N PFYC
GM 17801830 High Volume Oil Pump
Underdrive pulley w/ spare belt
xPipe - no cats
Original titanium muffler - passes sound at Laguna
Racing cooling fans for front brakes with remote switch in console
AP Racing Sprint Package with 2-piece rotors and Hawk DTC 70 pads 90% left in front- they fit regular Z06 wheels
DRM brake cooling ducts with spindle adapter
275/40/17 Nitto NT01 front tires with 75% left
PFADT featherlight single adjustment coilovers - rebuilt 6 months ago
305/35/18 Nitto NT01 track tires 75% left
C6 Z06 sway bar in the rear - fronts are identical for C5 and C6 Z06
Bump steer kits in the front
Racing, heavy duty tie rod ends in the rear
Dewitt's high capacity racing radiator with oil cooler
C5 Transmission Oil Cooler Kit 12480080 1295P with thermal switch
Remote clutch bleeder
Upgraded HID headlights with LO and Hi beams together on Hi
Harness Bar
Evo racing seat with 6 point harness - easily interchangeable with factory seat(Included with car)
Blackout all around kit
LED turn/brake/parking lights - very bright
Super bright LED back up lights with clear lenses - original available
500 HP - Dyno tuned by Rick at Synergy with printout
Tow hooks VMS or equivalent
Wire mesh for radiator (debris catcher)
Main belt - Pontiac G8/GXP 6PK1880
Accessories Belt - 4KP1080
Rebuilt transmission with heavy duty forks and pinnions
Polyurethane control arm bushings with lube nozzles
C6 Z06 clutch and shifter 15K miles ago - great shape
Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

nice car but if you do buy it, make sure you have the seller introduce you to his smog guy
Old 03-17-2016, 11:29 AM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Sounds like what you are looking for and more. Wouldn't need to do anything.
If you were to get a stock Z, I think you can get by with just pad and fluid upgrades.
Check out the Autocross and Roadrace section.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:11 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought my 03Z from a guy who's an instructor at our local road race course. It came with the following:

Stock motor
Johnny O' (pfadt) sways and shocks
Engine oil cooler
Oil catch can
corner weighted (not for my fat azz unfortunately)
DRM front brake ducts
extra set of upgrade track brake pads

Just that alone made the car pretty competitive for an HPDE. I'm getting ready to ruin it by throwing in an LS7.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:54 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

A stock C5 Z06 is a VERY capable track machine. I am a PCA and Chin driving instructor, I drove a fairly heavily modded 99 Z28 for 5 years.

I am now in a stock suspension C5 Z, I am 5 seconds a lap faster in this car on similar tires.

It has 390 wheel hp

Good seat and belts
Track brake pads
Stainless brake lines
Good brake fluid
Catch can
Alignment

I only run in winter so I don't need an oil cooler

When you get it

Change every fluid in it
Pull the radiator out and clean the fins, blow it out regularly

Learn to drive it, the limits of the stock car are way up there. I'm not modding mine for a while, no need to.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:36 PM
mgtveloce
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jonnyc
nice car but if you do buy it, make sure you have the seller introduce you to his smog guy
Hahaha! Exactly!!

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Sounds like what you are looking for and more. Wouldn't need to do anything.
If you were to get a stock Z, I think you can get by with just pad and fluid upgrades.
Check out the Autocross and Roadrace section.
That's what I was hoping. I'm thinking to buy the best stock example I can afford. I'm not sure I want a used track car?

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
I bought my 03Z from a guy who's an instructor at our local road race course. It came with the following:

Stock motor
Johnny O' (pfadt) sways and shocks
Engine oil cooler
Oil catch can
corner weighted (not for my fat azz unfortunately)
DRM front brake ducts
extra set of upgrade track brake pads

Just that alone made the car pretty competitive for an HPDE. I'm getting ready to ruin it by throwing in an LS7.
This is great information, very helpful list. Thanks!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
A stock C5 Z06 is a VERY capable track machine. I am a PCA and Chin driving instructor, I drove a fairly heavily modded 99 Z28 for 5 years.

I am now in a stock suspension C5 Z, I am 5 seconds a lap faster in this car on similar tires.

It has 390 wheel hp

Good seat and belts
Track brake pads
Stainless brake lines
Good brake fluid
Catch can
Alignment

When you get it

Change every fluid in it

Learn to drive it, the limits of the stock car are way up there. I'm not modding mine for a while, no need to.
Great suggestions.... I know my driving will be the weak link for awhile! I also want to take care of any know issues/needs before finding problems at the track, and I will be running in the summer. Do you think I should install an oil cooler? What about tranny cooler on hot days, or maybe front or rear brake cooling ducts?
Old 03-19-2016, 04:56 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mgtveloce
Hahaha! Exactly!!

That's what I was hoping. I'm thinking to buy the best stock example I can afford. I'm not sure I want a used track car?

This is great information, very helpful list. Thanks!

Great suggestions.... I know my driving will be the weak link for awhile! I also want to take care of any know issues/needs before finding problems at the track, and I will be running in the summer. Do you think I should install an oil cooler? What about tranny cooler on hot days, or maybe front or rear brake cooling ducts?
You wont need rear cooling ducts, ever. The ducts on a Z06 work fine.

You wont need fronts for a good while, I don't run them yet. The factory provides some cooling on all C5's from the factory.

Watch the oil temp on the DIC, if it gets to 300* and holds it for a while I would do an oil cooler. I run 285* with no cooler for most of the session.

You wont need a trans cooler maybe ever, you have to push one pretty hard on a r comp tire to get to that level.

Buy some good rotors like Centric high carbon, some good pads, stainless lines and good fluid.

Pull and clean the fins in the radiator and keep it clean, blow out the condenser and keep it clean. You keep coolant temp in check the oil will stay under 300*, or it has for me.

Put the cheapest set of new rubber on the car you can find and go have a ball.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default went stock

I bought a mint 03 bone stock. Was leery of someone else's mods. I only run in summer, and my home track is Watkins Glen, which is hard on brakes. First I found the stock seats didn't keep me planted, was holding onto the steering wheel with a death grip just to stay behind it. Bought Sparcos, harnesses. Next found I was boiling fluid no matter what pads, rotars, and losing my petal. So, bought the AP racing endurance BBK. Finally, was having to do cool down laps after maybe 5-6 fast laps, so bought the LG radiator with EOC, yet to install. Aside from that, racing rear pads and centric rotors, catch can, heel/toe petal, and pretty set to go. The last thing you need is more HP. Last fall under WOT a newer Shelby GT500 was barely pulling away, and when he hit his brakes to haul the thing down I was on him and he had to let the little Z06 by. The c5Z is a track weapon bone stock. Maybe it's just due to the track, but overheating front brakes and water temp had to be resolved, but that's all. What an awesome car!

Last edited by apex26; 03-21-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

, I drove a fairly heavily modded 99 Z28 for 5 years. I am now in a stock suspension C5 Z, I am 5 seconds a lap faster in this car on similar tires.
could you elaborate on this.
mods to Z28, tires on each, was the 5 seconds from your best time in the Z28 vs current C5 times, or early times in the Z28? 5 seconds is HUGE.

im back on forth on weather to continue on with Fbody or purchase Z06. every event i find myself back and forth on this.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 03-22-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:22 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
mods to Z28, tires on each, was the 5 seconds from your best time in the Z28 vs current C5 times, or early times in the Z28? 5 seconds is HUGE.

im back on forth on weather to continue on with Fbody or purchase Z06. every event i find myself back and forth on this.
Tires on Z28 were 5 year old BFG R1's in 275/40/17. Tires were new and stored in temp controlled warehouse.

Best lap in Z28 at NOLA was a 1:59.8 and I only did it once, rest were 2.00.xx and I had 5 years in that car and knew it well.

Mods to Z28
KONI DA front SA rear
Strano front springs, 200 lb rears
Lowered panhard rod
1.8 camber
Wilwood brakes
LS6 power, 385 to wheels
Strano front bar, dont remember rear 23mm maybe?
Kirkey seats
Brake cooling
Power steering revalve with cooler
4 point roll bar
Spherical rear LCA's with relocation brackets
Frame connectors and strut tower brace
Spherical Panhard rod

Best lap so far in Vette at NOLA is a 1:54.2, I have 3-4 weekends in it.

Mods to Vette

Race take off slicks, Conti front, Perelli rear 305-18's
-2.3 f/-1.2 r camber
Engine power 390 to wheels
Harness bar, good seat and belts
Stainless brake lines, good pads and fluid

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-22-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

many thanks for the time to post that.
id imagine the tires are worth 2-3 seconds of that.

i ran 7 year old BFGs at my first two events. RS3s droped me 4-5 seconds.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:18 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

many thanks for the time to post that.
id imagine the tires are worth 2-3 seconds of that.

i ran 7 year old BFGs at my first two events. RS3s droped me 4-5 seconds.
At Barber I was as fast on 5 year old RS3's in the Vette as I was on the 5 year old BFG R1's in the Camaro, actually I was .2 faster at a 1:47.2.

At NOLA whatever those RS3's had left was gone. Best there on the RS3 was a 2:00.8 as compared to the 1:59.8 on the BFG R1 in the Camaro.

At Circuit Grand Bayou my best in the Camaro was a 1:29 I think, on the RS3 in the Vette I went a 1:26.9

Those RS3's were so hard they had 21 sessions on them and still had half the tread.

Beware running on old tires, it will bite you. I will never run on a tire over 2 years old again.

On a new set of NT05's at NOLA I ran 2:05's in the Camaro.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-22-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

same here. and i discovered the same about the RS3 as i think most have. they heat cycle out long before the tread is gone. about 50% tread. i got 4-5 good weekends. then were worthless.

great info btw! im a numbers man, so those really help.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:04 AM
davidk72008
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has 390 wheel hp

Good seat and belts
Track brake pads
Stainless brake lines
Good brake fluid
Catch can
Alignment

When you get it

Change every fluid in it

Did you run at Barber's last weekend with Chin Motorsports? Red Z06? If so, I was the guy that came over and talked to you some about your setup on Saturday. I appreciate your advice, and hopefully I'll be able to make a track day here soon.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidk72008
Did you run at Barber's last weekend with Chin Motorsports? Red Z06? If so, I was the guy that came over and talked to you some about your setup on Saturday. I appreciate your advice, and hopefully I'll be able to make a track day here soon.
That was me, good chatting with you.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I went from a very nicely set up 2000 Z28 that was all Strano and LG suspension, to a (then) stock C5Z and couldn't believe the difference. I loved my Z28, but the C5 Z06 is undoubtedly a sizable step up.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Track Car

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Track Car