Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Looking to MS4 Cam

Old 05-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Acethetics
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking to MS4 Cam

Looking to do an MS4 Cam, kind of confused on what to order as theres different options to order from on the website such as Lobe Seperation Angle and Pushrod length.

My plans for the car are just, CAI, Full Exhaust and a Cam.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:47 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Acethetics
Looking to do an MS4 Cam, kind of confused on what to order as theres different options to order from on the website such as Lobe Seperation Angle and Pushrod length.

My plans for the car are just, CAI, Full Exhaust and a Cam.
The LSA determines when the power comes in the power band. The lower the LSA the sooner the power comes, but you could loose a small amount of peak power. The pushrod length can change with the heads that you are running among other things. If you are running a stock LS6 then the seller(as long as it is a reputable vendor) should easily be able to tell you what length you need. I believe a 7.4 is correct for a stock head LS6.

The MS4 cam is an old cam grind and there are much better options out there. Is there any reason why you chose the MS4? The new technology has come a long way and the grinds are much better now than ever.

You say just a cam.....you do realize that with a cam of that size or any cam for that matter especially one that large, you will need many other parts to go with it. You will need injectors, gaskets, springs, possibly lifters, oil pump, timing chain upgrade, among other things that could be necessary or at least a good idea for reliability.

Your best option/bet would be do a LOT of research and I mean a LOT about the specific cam lobes/grinds and everything about them. It would be a good idea to call and speak with someone about your specific goals with the car. Do you want large power, driveability, the cam "sound" and other things?

Just a few suggestions of people to talk to are Tick Performance, Texas Speed, England Green, Tony Mamo, Advanced Inductions, and many many others that are vendors on the site.

What specific reason made you choose the MS4? If you can't honestly answer that question to yourself then you need to research before you make a decision.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:54 AM
Acethetics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ferg03 Z06
The LSA determines when the power comes in the power band. The lower the LSA the sooner the power comes, but you could loose a small amount of peak power. The pushrod length can change with the heads that you are running among other things. If you are running a stock LS6 then the seller(as long as it is a reputable vendor) should easily be able to tell you what length you need. I believe a 7.4 is correct for a stock head LS6.

The MS4 cam is an old cam grind and there are much better options out there. Is there any reason why you chose the MS4? The new technology has come a long way and the grinds are much better now than ever.

You say just a cam.....you do realize that with a cam of that size or any cam for that matter especially one that large, you will need many other parts to go with it. You will need injectors, gaskets, springs, possibly lifters, oil pump, timing chain upgrade, among other things that could be necessary or at least a good idea for reliability.

Your best option/bet would be do a LOT of research and I mean a LOT about the specific cam lobes/grinds and everything about them. It would be a good idea to call and speak with someone about your specific goals with the car. Do you want large power, driveability, the cam "sound" and other things?

Just a few suggestions of people to talk to are Tick Performance, Texas Speed, England Green, Tony Mamo, Advanced Inductions, and many many others that are vendors on the site.

What specific reason made you choose the MS4? If you can't honestly answer that question to yourself then you need to research before you make a decision.
Wow thanks for all the information, you cleared up alot of questions I had, I was planning on doing springs, and timing chain also, I chose the MS4 because I thought it made the best numbers, do you reccomend any other cams?

Edit: I'll be upgrading oil pump also, I'm not concerned with driveability and I want it to sound good

Last edited by Acethetics; 05-31-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:09 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Where do you want to make peak power? Mid or upper rpm? Or you just wanting a cam for the sound? I researched mine and talk to my builder and we picked one out that best served me. I have gotten into the 1/2 mile racing events so i wanted a cam that ran better in the higher rpm range, My cam is from 21st century muscle cars and the specs are 238/240 605/609 112lsa. Of course like Ferg03 Z06 said there is a lot of supporting mods you will need.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 AM
Acethetics
Instructor

Probably mid RPM, I would only be doing 1/4 mile.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Look into Brian Tooley, LG... Although the TSP MS4 is a proven cam. There are other options out there w newer technology. "Sound" is great, but you want it to perform and match it with future mods ( thinking ahead).... you will def want a new oil pump ( piece of mind), hardened push rods (7.4), valve spring kit (.650-.660 lift), timing chain, front seal kit, and it is a good idea to replace the crank pulley as it will have to be removed anyway. Factor in a good tune as well.... Cam changes are not as easy as they sound. There are a lot of determining factors when doing the swap and doing it right.. Just my 02....

Last edited by TXGS507; 05-31-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Acethetics
Instructor

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Look into Brian Tooley, LG... Although the TSP MS4 is a proven cam. There are other options out there w newer technology. "Sound" is great, but you want it to perform and match it with future mods ( thinking ahead).... you will def want a new oil pump ( piece of mind), hardened push rods (7.4), valve spring kit (.650-.660 lift), timing chain, front seal kit, and it is a good idea to replace the crank pulley as it will have to be removed anyway. Factor in a good tune as well.... Cam changes are not as easy as they sound. There are a lot of determining factors when doing the swap and doing it right.. Just my 02....
Would I be buying oem crank pulley, and front seal kit? I have a friend whose installed a few cams, I just need to buy the parts, I kind of chose MS4 because they have a package deal where it comes with oil pump, timing chain, springs and rods
Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 PM
Acethetics
Instructor

This is what i'm ordering so far, Is this everything I will be needing? Do you recommend 111 LSA or 112 LSA for a 1/4 mile? Is that the correct lifters and harmonic balancer?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM
Acethetics
Instructor

I called tick performance and set up a cart, I'm strongly convinced to go with a Torque Max stage 3
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

M6 or A4?
I am currently in the process of installing an LG G5X2in my 99 SS.... SLP UD pulley will be replacing my harmonic balancer.

Rule of thumb ( and it varies) is A4 114lsa.... M6 112lsa....
Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Acethetics
Instructor

Manual transmission
Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 PM
yoshgixxer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a ton of research on this same subject a few months ago, I thought I was sold on the MS4, as I was looking for maximum power possible but after looking at a lot of dyno graphs for the MS4 it seemed to be a very peaky cam. I also like the specs on TSP Tourqer V4 cam. That Seemed like a great street cam with a much broader torque curve, ultimately went with the BTR Stage 4 cam for its better all around power, after a lot of phone calls and hunting,. So far I'm very pleased. Pulls super hard from 4000 all the way to the limiter set at 6900... I did BTR platinum spring kit with Ti retainers/JP billet timing set/Melings pump/Johnson SLR lifers/AFR heads/YT roller rockers/Fast 102/90mm LS2 TB while I was in there..

Fwiw the new TSP cams are ground on much freindlier cam profiles that don't beat up the valve train so bad.. Also don't forget To check your PTV!!! It gets super tight with the MS4.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 PM
yoshgixxer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what i'm ordering so far, Is this everything I will be needing? Do you recommend 111 LSA or 112 LSA for a 1/4 mile? Is that the correct lifters and harmonic balancer?
I'd run a 111LSA.. And those lifers are the cheaper version LS7 lifter, didn't read a lot of good stuff about those lifters, If your going through the hell of pulling the heads to do lifters buy a GOOD lifter. Get your self some new style lifter trays to (LS3/LS7 I think?) there only $7 a tray.
Morel makes some very nice lifters in the $250 range or you can go with the JohnsonSLR but there around $450... Either way if your using a monster cam valve float is going to be your enemy and could cause you to bend some valves if **** gets crazy. Run good lifters to control the valve train and id also recommend upgrading to Titanium retainers. Lighter the better!!
Don't forget the trunion upgrade for your rockers.

A 7.400 push rod probably will be fine but check your lifter preload when your assembling the rockers. Super simple to check and is very important to know. There's many YouTube videos on how to check by setting zero lash and counting the number of turns till right. I ended up with 7.350 length to get the preload I wanted and now my valve train is pretty quiet.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 PM
Acethetics
Instructor

Heres the new setup i'm looking at

Old 06-01-2016, 02:00 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I called tick performance and set up a cart, I'm strongly convinced to go with a Torque Max stage 3
That is the exact cam that I went with...you will LOVE IT!!!! It is absolutely amazing...there is a forum member here that has the same cam with a video on youtube...do a search and you will find it. I heard/saw that video and after speaking with Martin @Tick I was sold.

The cam is great and makes wonderful power. With Texas-Speed 1 3/4 LT's, Texas Speed off-road catless X-pipe, into the factory Ti exhaust, and a vararam..also 42# Fast injectors, I made 432/417 with an absolutely beautiful dyno sheet and a great torque curve

Last edited by Ferg03 Z06; 06-01-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

MS4 eats springs like candy, be prepared to either:

Buy the good expensive springs up front

or

Replace springs as a maintenance item.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:25 PM
lilgbz28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the ms4 cam 112 lsa for 8k miles and enjoy it very well. It's a little picky in the lower rpms for cruising around the parking lot but easy to clutch around it. It's all in the tune on the highway in 6th gear I have no problem running 50mph to 80mph range no surging at all. My 1st round with this cam was full exhaust mantic clutch, springs, oil pump I did keep the stock lifters and they lasted over 7k miles but I was a low mileage car. Stock 28# injectors. 90% duty cycle Car made 435 whp 380 ish tq. 2nd round was ud pulley ported fast 92 ported ls2 tb retuned car made 452whp 390ish tq ran out of injector. Now I did prc as cast 225 heads bigger injectors and replaced lifters for piece of mind and retuned 491 whp and 422 tq.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to MS4 Cam

Old 06-10-2016, 03:19 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm surprised FTI gets as overlooked as it does on here.

Those in the know all know Ed Curtis makes the real magic sticks
Old 06-11-2016, 11:11 AM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...997-2004.html/ is a good reference to use for parts. if he has it on there it means its the best.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:27 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

worked great for me, even better when you add nitrous.
put around 50k on it, I replace springs every 20k, just the springs, don't need a whole new kit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Looking to MS4 Cam