Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Aftermarket Heel/Toe Gas Pedal...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:41 AM
yarberrymt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aftermarket Heel/Toe Gas Pedal...?

I've been trying to practice heel/toe technique driving around town and it is somewhat difficult because of the need brake heavily to align the pedals. I like the idea of altering the gas pedal to make this technique easier (to blip the throttle) and improve foot grip.

Does anybody have aftermarket pedal experience or can anyone offer advice? Thoughts on "screw-on" covers versus actual pedal replacement vs. leaving the OEM alone?

I noticed several companies offer aftermarket pedals. Here are a few I found:

Elite Engineering (Pedal Replacement)

Customer Corvette Accessories (covers?)

Ultimate Pedals (covers?)

Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I ran the Elite Engineering full replacement pedal on my C5 Z06 listed in the first picture. It was a great pedal and easy to use.

However, I only found it easy to use on track. On track I could heel/toe like a champ but I found it very difficult on the street. I just never was braking hard enough to get the pedals lined up for easy heel/toeing so I don't know that a pedal would solve all your heel/toe problems on the street.

That was my experience.

Either way, great pedal.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 06-01-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:50 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Regarding heel toe downshifting, I was taught to roll my foot to the right and blip the throttle with the right side of my foot just below the pinky toe. None of the aftermarket gas pedals has the "extension" at the top...they all are wider at the bottom which just does not work for me.

I made my own version by taking a 1.5" diameter fender washer and attaching it to the top left side of the stock pedal with two self tapping metal screws. Half sticks out past the gas pedal to the left between the gas pedal and the brake. I did this on my last track to and had over 30 track days on it. It worked great then and is working great on my track Z06 now.

Something to consider, costs under a buck and 3 minutes to install or 1 minute to remove.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:01 AM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Regarding heel toe downshifting, I was taught to roll my foot to the right and blip the throttle with the right side of my foot just below the pinky toe. None of the aftermarket gas pedals has the "extension" at the top...they all are wider at the bottom which just does not work for me.

I made my own version by taking a 1.5" diameter fender washer and attaching it to the top left side of the stock pedal with two self tapping metal screws. Half sticks out past the gas pedal to the left between the gas pedal and the brake. I did this on my last track to and had over 30 track days on it. It worked great then and is working great on my track Z06 now.

Something to consider, costs under a buck and 3 minutes to install or 1 minute to remove.
This works around town also, you can brake normally, and still blip the throttle with the right side of your foot. I have never been able to actually "heel/toe" in the vette
Old 06-04-2016, 01:08 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I heel/toe all the time and the pedals on the vette are perfect for it IMO...i have never tried to split my foot between the brake and gas pedal, but when breaking with my toesill rotate my foot slightly to bleep the throttle with the outer part of my heel. I feel like some of the aftermarket pedal covers will make it hard to drive the car especially if you are not driving with proper shoes.
I drove one with the elite engineering gas pedal cover once and had my dress shoes on which made it hard to drive. A few times as i was pressing the brake pedal the heel of my shoe would grab the lower part of the gas pedal at the same time (the part where the elite engineering pedal cover extends). This made it dangerous when i was in gear as the car would try to accelerate while i was pressing on the brakes. So i had to be more cautios and awar to keep my foot centered on the brake pedal.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I love the CCA "block" finish pedals that I have on my Z. The standard pedals don't have enough grip for me to feel confident that my foot isn't going to slip.

I heel/toe on the street and on the track. There is no "right way" to do it. It's highly dependent on your foot size and your ability to move/rotate your right foot. I do it with toes/ball of the foot on the brake and heel/side of my foot on the throttle. Doing this way I'm able to modulate the brake and account for less than full brake pressure and still get the blip done.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Heel/Toe Gas Pedal...?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Aftermarket Heel/Toe Gas Pedal...?