Sponsored by:

[Z06] LS6 Valve Spring Life

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:28 PM
fmvette9
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Default LS6 Valve Spring Life

I installed 05 updated part number valve spring in my LS6 in 05. I now have 125K miles on the springs. Car is a daily driver with maybe 15 6500 rpm runs per week, else typically under 3K rpm.

Rather than doing the work to pull a couple of springs out of the car, and take somewhere to measure spring rate, I would probably go ahead and replace all of the springs with the latest GM LS6 replacement blue springs for $60.

I know how the car is driven is the most important factor in spring life. What is the common sense action to do now, replace or drive another 50K miles? Can not detect any valve float on my red line runs.

I would like to hear from 02+ owners with over 100K miles on their GM LS6 springs. If anyone measured spring pressure with high mileage, what did you find? Anyone close to 150 K or 200K miles on original or replacement GM springs?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2016, 05:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fmvette9
I installed 05 updated part number valve spring in my LS6 in 05. I now have 125K miles on the springs. Car is a daily driver with maybe 15 6500 rpm runs per week, else typically under 3K rpm.

Rather than doing the work to pull a couple of springs out of the car, and take somewhere to measure spring rate, I would probably go ahead and replace all of the springs with the latest GM LS6 replacement blue springs for $60.

I know how the car is driven is the most important factor in spring life. What is the common sense action to do now, replace or drive another 50K miles? Can not detect any valve float on my red line runs.

I would like to hear from 02+ owners with over 100K miles on their GM LS6 springs. If anyone measured spring pressure with high mileage, what did you find? Anyone close to 150 K or 200K miles on original or replacement GM springs?

Thanks
spring rate is not an indicator of fatigue. i actually did measure spring pressure between a new blue and a 95k mile bare with orange dot from an 02. the bare with orange dot were identical to maybe a couple pounds more. it's hard to tell on a pull down tester if you're going for an exact measurement. they were however within 5lb of each other as you compressed
Old 10-17-2016, 01:58 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

When I originally heard about the issues people were having with the Z06 springs breaking I was already way past the typical mileage where it was supposed to occurring. I thought about changing mine, but being the procrastinator I am I never did anything about it. I thought I might do a major valve train upgrade. I am now at 150k miles on stock parts. Never did anything and it is still running perfectly with no problems, seems just as fast as it ever was.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:36 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
When I originally heard about the issues people were having with the Z06 springs breaking I was already way past the typical mileage where it was supposed to occurring. I thought about changing mine, but being the procrastinator I am I never did anything about it. I thought I might do a major valve train upgrade. I am now at 150k miles on stock parts. Never did anything and it is still running perfectly with no problems, seems just as fast as it ever was.
best guess is the issue only affected 1-3% of cars

that means you had a 97-99% chance of being okay

many of us just didn't want to risk being that 1-3% over $65
Old 10-20-2016, 08:42 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's pretty rare to have such high mileage on our cars.

I was at 72,000 miles on my original springs when they got replaced due to Heads/Cam work.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:07 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
best guess is the issue only affected 1-3% of cars

that means you had a 97-99% chance of being okay

many of us just didn't want to risk being that 1-3% over $65
My car has been extraordinarily reliable, must have been built on a good day. I've tons of miles traveling in it and it never lets me down, even with all the mods I have done. Most issues I've had have been mainly minor. 153k and it still runs perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 Valve Spring Life

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS6 Valve Spring Life