Sponsored by:

[Z06] Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:47 AM
flati
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hurst Shifter

I've been reading a ton of stuff here and elsewhere on after market shifters for my C5 Z06 and have a question. My car currently has a B&M short throw but I am a middle aged guy who grew up in a world of Hurst shifters and cant help but think I need one even over everything I've read about the MGW shifters I keep hearing about. And besides, I was originally told my Z06 had a Hurst to later find out that its a B&M and it now has a Hurst logoed shift ball on it, so now what?! I also hear of so many people using C6 stock oem shifters in their C5 so with that being said will a Hurst C6 shifter fit in our C5s, the C6 Hurst shifter appears to have the bend at the top of the handle unlike the straight version listed for the C5. I've also heard issues of excessive noise from the Hurst, hasn't that been resolved by now?
Old 11-20-2016, 12:36 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by flati
I've been reading a ton of stuff here and elsewhere on after market shifters for my C5 Z06 and have a question. My car currently has a B&M short throw but I am a middle aged guy who grew up in a world of Hurst shifters and cant help but think I need one even over everything I've read about the MGW shifters I keep hearing about. And besides, I was originally told my Z06 had a Hurst to later find out that its a B&M and it now has a Hurst logoed shift ball on it, so now what?! I also hear of so many people using C6 stock oem shifters in their C5 so with that being said will a Hurst C6 shifter fit in our C5s, the C6 Hurst shifter appears to have the bend at the top of the handle unlike the straight version listed for the C5. I've also heard issues of excessive noise from the Hurst, hasn't that been resolved by now?
I had a B&M and a Hurst in my 04 Z both way way nicer that stock then I got a Callaway way better that eater one of those ,I don't think you can buy them anymore . If you just want a better one that stock street ride the Hurst will work fine .. I even had a C-6 shifter in it when I got it was Ok Hurst way better shifter.. I think B&M or Hurst acquired the other ,I don't know whom acquired whom.. Prop. find an older Hurst on the Forum for sale .. I have tried 3 no 4 shifters and none have the feel as the Hurst shifter I had in old 55 Chevy with a 4-speed so if looking for that old Hurst fell ..Not happening ..
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM
flati
Intermediate

Who offers the best pricing on the Hurst, I have seen it priced from $230 or so to $281?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Have to do like the rest of us do just look and look till you find a good price . Hinson out of B-Ham Al. has good prices on some stuff and they have a shifter that you might be interested in also. Check them out .. Hurst did not invent the first shifter for the C-4 6-speed an engineer working for GM on the race teem did and went to GM with it they said : we don't sell shifters so he went to Hurst the rest is history ..
Old 12-15-2016, 04:21 PM
flati
Intermediate

I hear people talking about adding the C6 shifter to their C5's so will a Hurst C6 fit and what are your thoughts on the C6 since it has the "bend" in the arm vs. the C5's straight arm?
Old 12-15-2016, 10:29 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flati
I hear people talking about adding the C6 shifter to their C5's so will a Hurst C6 fit and what are your thoughts on the C6 since it has the "bend" in the arm vs. the C5's straight arm?
I think my 04 had a C6-Z shifter in it been 3 years can't remember anyway just get a good after market one and be done with it The MG something is a good one and the Hurst also Hinson has good one also .. Do like I did I found good used ones on the forum and keep trading around till I got one I liked .. I have Callaway can't find them anymore but all were good way better that stock anything better that stock..
Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM
r0bd
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by radar502
I think my 04 had a C6-Z shifter in it been 3 years can't remember anyway just get a good after market one and be done with it The MG something is a good one and the Hurst also Hinson has good one also .. Do like I did I found good used ones on the forum and keep trading around till I got one I liked .. I have Callaway can't find them anymore but all were good way better that stock anything better that stock..
http://shop.callawaycars.com/Shifters-C5_c10.htm
Old 12-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Drewster67
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Hurst shifter and I personally don't like it even though I am a Hurst Fan. I'm leaning towards a MGW because its allows for smoother motion. Do a google search for MGW C5 Shifters. Kind of Pricey but well worth it.

Drew
Old 12-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Hurt is the same as the B&M Ripper shifter, which is to say it is dung.
The Hurst name means very little nowadays, plus, there really isn't much you can do to make a "short throw" shifter for a car with a remote shifter and a transaxle.
Best bet is the C6 Z06 shifter. The handle is a tad shorter and slightly angled rearward. It is a direct bolt in for both C5s and C6s.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:59 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Cool ,I did not know you could buy them anyway I have one and I love it I have tried C6-Z - Hurst - B&M . I like my Callaway ..
Old 12-26-2016, 05:42 PM
justin.
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the hurst and I am not a fan but I hate short shifters in general. It was in the car when I bought it. Just bought a c6 z06 shifter and can't wait to put it in. I'll have mine for sale in like a week if you are interested in buying used

Get notified of new replies

To Hurst Shifter

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hurst Shifter