Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2004 Z06 value in the toilet

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by radar502
Cool been saying the same for years . I can't understand why people with all the very bad story's about dealers going around people still think they are your friend .. One day people will get it ,whey are in the bizz to make money and they want your money .. Kind of like the girls in the strip club . I want your money ..LOL
this is it. when you walk into a business you're negotiating with an adversary. they aren't your friend. occasionally you may meet a solo operator that loves his customers and is actually giving you advice in your best interest but most businesses put money first and the consumer second

realize this and businesses become much more transparent to deal with in your own mind
Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

[QUOTE=racebum;1594381267]this is it. when you walk into a business you're negotiating with an adversary. they aren't your friend. occasionally you may meet a solo operator that loves his customers and is actually giving you advice in your best interest but most businesses put money first and the consumer second

realize this and businesses become much more transparent to deal with in your own mind[/QUOT Not all are bad some are Ok and will help you out just have to know the right one but still have to remember is a businesses . Need to deal with this guys with eyes wide open . I see this on the forum so much people walk into GM dealer with a old C-5 and get all bent thinking the GM dealer salesman will give him $16,000 for it and can't understand why not . People need to have a understanding on what's going on with old Corvettes HOT RODS world and the economy of the used hot rod world . Just saying its not all black and white have to understand were the value comes from and what kind of people will appreciate the value .
Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 AM
AmbulanceDriver
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought my three owner 02 c5z two weeks ago with 60k on it for 18k. I now owe 14k with a 4% interest rate for 5 years... A lot of it depends on your area but taking a vehicle to trade at a stealership is not a good idea. Sell privately or keep it.

I don't know about most of you but I love the way the c5z looks with flip up headlights and trunk far more than the newer looks of z06's. Yea its got the typical gm interior but if I wanted something with a great interior I would buy a ctsv/atsv not a car that is a proven track car in stock form...
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (04-06-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 AM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Currently the c5 z06 has the biggest bid to ask price of any vehicle. This is why many will collect dust as new vettes are purchased and old ones are hoarded. This is why the spread is the largest.

Also, Autotrader made an article in September 2016 that the c5 z06 is the best bargain sports car available today.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't post this saying THE DEALER WAS TRYING TO SCREW ME. I posted this to inform everyone out there that their C5 Z06 isn't worth much. I drive my car and I ENJOY IT. Some owners let theirs gather dust. Not me man I drive my car with no regard to depreciation of its value. I admit I was surprised at first.
To the rich guy who said,
"The dealer will not be able to sell a 13 year old car with over 100k miles, so I agree that the C5 will go to auction and they will not get much for it. The better question is why do you have a loan on a 13 year old car with 100k miles and why are you considering a new loan on an 11 year old car?"
Because I am poor. When I buy something that costs over $10,000 I borrow the money. Your comment sheds light on how ignorant some folks are to guys like me who earn less than $70,000 a year. I don't own my home either I borrowed the money from a bank. I have test drove C6 Z06's and just love them. I don't have $27k- $33k so I have to borrow it. I owe $11,500 on my car. I am not in the hole with it and I am sure I could sell it for more than what I owe. That being said I wanted to shed light on buying a car and then owe more than its worth. That Lexus dealership salesman wanted me to commit to a $54,000 purchase. Give me a break. He should have asked up front if I was able to get my own financing? Rich folks don't worry about money. I am poor so I think about it. As the years go by and I rack up the miles on my C5 Z06 it will continue to lose value. I know that and I don't care.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:46 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
do you not know how basic math works (compound interest)?
Do you know the OPs credit score? Do you realize he wants to finance an 11 yr old car for 7yrs?
Here if you buy a house for 100k by the time you put taxes, insurance, pmi in the loan your house payment is approx 1000 per month. Pay it off in 30 yrs and you pay 360k back. Sheesh I guess the car dealer isn't so bad now is he/she?
Unrealistic expectations here buddy.
There is a big difference between purchasing a depreciating and an appreciating asset. I would never take 30 years to pay off a mortgage but even if you did that 100k house might be worth 300k by then. It is reasonable to stretch an amortization out longer for an appreciating asset. A good rule of thumb here is if you can't afford to pay off a mortgage in 15 years at what interest rates are now, you can't afford it. Buy a cheaper house. My work vehicle is a new 55K Suburban, but my work pays me for it so I can justify buying new, otherwise you are really wasting a ton of money. Do you know what the smell is when you sit down in a new car? The smell of burning money!!

Most cars in general, the opposite applies, the value usually goes down and goes down fast with most cars worth half their purchase price in 5 years. At least with a corvette kept in good condition that doesn't have outrageously high miles, you might not take quite as big of a hit unless you purchase it new. For play toys such as boats or cars, I buy used, usually 5 years old or older and find that diamond in the rough. When I decide to sell, I generally get close to what I paid.

Example: Bought a 98 Triton bass boat in 2003 for 15K. Owned the boat and used it a lot but took care of it and sold it last year for 13.5K.
I see some of these younger guys dropping 60K on a new rig and stretching payments out 7,10, even more years. That is the dumbest, and I mean dumbest thing you could possibly ever do. The 3 year rule on cars and boats. It will never steer you wrong. buy outright, sell outright. Educate yourself on the market and be patient. If you have a nice car now and still owe 12K on it, dropping 7k on mods puts you in a worse financial position. Put 7K towards the bank note and that car is within the 3 year rule. Get it paid off, then knock yourself out with mods.

I only say this because I have learned by making those same mistakes in my exuberant youth. Good luck and just keep driving that bad azz looking car!

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 03-29-2017 at 09:48 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
There is a big difference between purchasing a depreciating and an appreciating asset. I would never take 30 years to pay off a mortgage but even if you did that 100k house might be worth 300k by then. It is reasonable to stretch an amortization out longer for an appreciating asset. A good rule of thumb here is if you can't afford to pay off a mortgage in 15 years at what interest rates are now, you can't afford it. Buy a cheaper house. My work vehicle is a new 55K Suburban, but my work pays me for it so I can justify buying new, otherwise you are really wasting a ton of money. Do you know what the smell is when you sit down in a new car? The smell of burning money!!

Most cars in general, the opposite applies, the value usually goes down and goes down fast with most cars worth half their purchase price in 5 years. At least with a corvette kept in good condition that doesn't have outrageously high miles, you might not take quite as big of a hit unless you purchase it new. For play toys such as boats or cars, I buy used, usually 5 years old or older and find that diamond in the rough. When I decide to sell, I generally get close to what I paid.

Example: Bought a 98 Triton bass boat in 2003 for 15K. Owned the boat and used it a lot but took care of it and sold it last year for 13.5K.
I see some of these younger guys dropping 60K on a new rig and stretching payments out 7,10, even more years. That is the dumbest, and I mean dumbest thing you could possibly ever do. The 3 year rule on cars and boats. It will never steer you wrong. buy outright, sell outright. Educate yourself on the market and be patient. If you have a nice car now and still owe 12K on it, dropping 7k on mods puts you in a worse financial position. Put 7K towards the bank note and that car is within the 3 year rule. Get it paid off, then knock yourself out with mods.

I only say this because I have learned by making those same mistakes in my exuberant youth. Good luck and just keep driving that bad azz looking car!
This is some of the most solid advice on the forum. I see too many people making emotional ("gotta have it" mentality) rather than smart financial decisions when it comes to cars. Most people don't realize the tradeoffs you make when you overspend (beyond one's means) on a car or any other depreciating asset. The potential financial tradeoffs are not being able to retire as early, not being able to get a nicer house, not having enough of an emergency fund, etc. etc. the list goes on.

If one has to take out a loan on a car...one is overspending beyond their means.

Ask any CPA, they will tell you the only things you should take out loans on are education, homes, or other things that add/create value for you.

I think a lot of people would benefit from reading the forums over at https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 04-06-2017 at 10:13 AM.
02BlownZ06 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:39 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
"The dealer will not be able to sell a 13 year old car with over 100k miles, so I agree that the C5 will go to auction and they will not get much for it. The better question is why do you have a loan on a 13 year old car with 100k miles and why are you considering a new loan on an 11 year old car?"
Because I am poor. When I buy something that costs over $10,000 I borrow the money. Your comment sheds light on how ignorant some folks are to guys like me who earn less than $70,000 a year. I don't own my home either I borrowed the money from a bank.
You said you are poor but you want to trade a 2004 Corvette with a lien for a 2006 Corvette with a much bigger lien and I am the ignorant one?

You cannot compare a mortgage to an auto loan. One loan is for an appreciating asset with tax deductible interest and tax deductible real estate tax. The other loan is the exact opposite.
ArmchairArchitect (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I went to a Lexus dealership in East Mesa last weekend. I test drove a 2006 Z06 with 22,000 miles. A real beauty in every way. So we sit down to discuss numbers. My black 2004 Z06 with 110k miles is worth $10,000 and not a penny more. He acted like that was a gift and said Man we don't sell cars like that it's outta here off to the auction. I looked for myself and Kelly Blue Book used private sale is $12,000. It was a rude awakening. To make matters worse he told me the C6 was $615/month for 84 months. I thought this never would have happened if they had posted the price online. I thanked them and walked away. My Z06 has 385rwhp. The stock C6 Z06 was more powerful but is it worth almost $20,000 more than my car? Nope. I asked the salesman what the car would be worth by the time I pay it off? He totally avoided that question despite telling me how my car was now worth less than a beat up Pinto. I paid $15,000 two years ago. I owe $12k and will knock down the principal quickly from now till the loan is PIF. In other words I am even on my car. I won't buy a car and be upside down in it half way through paying it off. I take excellent care of my car so if I sell it the new buyer will get a good solid car. I'll keep looking and eventually I'll find a 2006, 2007 C6 Z06 for $25k. Mileage 60k or close to that and good condition. As for my 2004 Z06 where on earth can you find a car with that level of performance for $12,000? I am tempted to keep it and modify the engine to 500-550hp.
I hate to say it out loud but..........you're driving the "new" C4. Your car is old now......it has depreciated to a place where it's a tough sell.

2 generations of newer and better Corevttes as drivers are now on the road.........then their is ALL THOSE C5s still in pretty darn good shape out there you are up against when trying to sell yours.

Unfortunate for a seller .....but pretty good news for a buyer.

Your car is neither appealing as a "new car" or collectible and in demand as old car.

You're currently in a place where your Corvette is just a car for sale and not much more. Tough news for you but great news for the next owner and his desire to get your car or one just like it on the CHEAP.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:14 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbartick
You said you are poor but you want to trade a 2004 Corvette with a lien for a 2006 Corvette with a much bigger lien and I am the ignorant one?

You cannot compare a mortgage to an auto loan. One loan is for an appreciating asset with tax deductible interest and tax deductible real estate tax. The other loan is the exact opposite.
Stop over analyzing a quick post. The comparison was in haste sorry. At the same time their lender or they were offering a $37,000 car for over $52,000 at the end of the term. I heard several really bad numbers. Rather than first asking me if could finance the purchase?
Some people trade in cars they don't own outright. I know it's hard to believe but poor people like me typically trade a car in after three or four years. Granted my Z06 is worth less than what I owe wholesale I could always sell it myself. As far as buying a C6 Z06 and it's decline in value I would not pay more than $28k stock. Yes I will finance it.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Originally Posted by Krystal
I hate to say it out loud but..........you're driving the "new" C4. Your car is old now......it has depreciated to a place where it's a tough sell.

2 generations of newer and better Corevttes as drivers are now on the road.........then their is ALL THOSE C5s still in pretty darn good shape out there you are up against when trying to sell yours.

Unfortunate for a seller .....but pretty good news for a buyer.

Your car is neither appealing as a "new car" or collectible and in demand as old car.

You're currently in a place where your Corvette is just a car for sale and not much more. Tough news for you but great news for the next owner and his desire to get your car or one just like it on the CHEAP.
I agree 100%. The point of me posting was to shed light on the fact the C5 has become the best value sports car with the Z06 at the top.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:02 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

My 2004 Z06 with 17000 miles on it is valuable to me. It is not going anywhere. Especially since I do not owe anything on it. And it only cost me 300.00 a year for car insurance. It gives me a great feeling every time I drive it.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:16 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

I like your plan B the best.

But if you stick with plan A, post it up in the FS forum at a price you think is reasonable to start off with. And don't overlook freebee Craigslist in nearest big city and your local as well.

Once sold, I would bump up to a brand new C7 and just skip C6. If out of range, see what Mike@Criswell has for ever changing used inventory. If you buy new or used that's a good source. Matter of fact he will give you a price sight unseen as he has other times per his Sunday threads.
Don't hurt to ask.

This is another entertaining thread from last Sunday
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3967201
Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Brad Walters
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a Lexus dealership in East Mesa last weekend. I test drove a 2006 Z06 with 22,000 miles. A real beauty in every way. So we sit down to discuss numbers. My black 2004 Z06 with 110k miles is worth $10,000 and not a penny more. He acted like that was a gift and said Man we don't sell cars like that it's outta here off to the auction. I looked for myself and Kelly Blue Book used private sale is $12,000. It was a rude awakening. To make matters worse he told me the C6 was $615/month for 84 months. I thought this never would have happened if they had posted the price online. I thanked them and walked away. My Z06 has 385rwhp. The stock C6 Z06 was more powerful but is it worth almost $20,000 more than my car? Nope. I asked the salesman what the car would be worth by the time I pay it off? He totally avoided that question despite telling me how my car was now worth less than a beat up Pinto. I paid $15,000 two years ago. I owe $12k and will knock down the principal quickly from now till the loan is PIF. In other words I am even on my car. I won't buy a car and be upside down in it half way through paying it off. I take excellent care of my car so if I sell it the new buyer will get a good solid car. I'll keep looking and eventually I'll find a 2006, 2007 C6 Z06 for $25k. Mileage 60k or close to that and good condition. As for my 2004 Z06 where on earth can you find a car with that level of performance for $12,000? I am tempted to keep it and modify the engine to 500-550hp.

Keep your current Z in STOCK form.
These are going to go up in value soon.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

I didn't post this saying THE DEALER WAS TRYING TO SCREW ME. I posted this to inform everyone out there that their C5 Z06 isn't worth much. I drive my car and I ENJOY IT. Some owners let theirs gather dust. Not me man I drive my car with no regard to depreciation of its value. I admit I was surprised at first.
Because I am poor. When I buy something that costs over $10,000 I borrow the money. Your comment sheds light on how ignorant some folks are to guys like me who earn less than $70,000 a year. I don't own my home either I borrowed the money from a bank. I have test drove C6 Z06's and just love them. I don't have $27k- $33k so I have to borrow it. I owe $11,500 on my car. I am not in the hole with it and I am sure I could sell it for more than what I owe. That being said I wanted to shed light on buying a car and then owe more than its worth. That Lexus dealership salesman wanted me to commit to a $54,000 purchase. Give me a break. He should have asked up front if I was able to get my own financing? Rich folks don't worry about money. I am poor so I think about it. As the years go by and I rack up the miles on my C5 Z06 it will continue to lose value. I know that and I don't care.
It's smart on your part to think about money and just enjoy what you got, not what you would like to have gotten at the dealer. Just bide your time and wait for that C6 price to reach out to you, if that's what you want. Till then, a good looking, well maintained C5Z will always be appreciated. Both by their owner and by a car loving public.

Here is 10-pages of advice this 23 y.o. is getting on buying a new one. Good for anyone thinking of making the leap, regardless of age.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3968163
Old 04-17-2017, 03:08 PM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One more on keeping it/modding to your content. Your car is beautiful and will continue to turn heads even as time passes on!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Potent68
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Had to work or I would have been there. Oh and you can talk all your big blah blah to my face when you see me. I'm the guy who drives a 1992 C4 blue. I'm 6'2" 240 lbs and would enjoy meeting you and discuss how all I want to do is bitch on the forum.
Threats? Really?
ArmchairArchitect (04-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Z06 value in the toilet

Old 04-17-2017, 06:54 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

I won't ever post anything on here again
this would be welcome

toxic personalities aren't needed, there are plenty in the PRC section on this forum already
95rtturbo (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:07 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

1) You're already upside down on your car. You've been paying for it for two years and have only knocked $3k of the purchase price.

That's why you don't take out a loan on a 10+ year old car.

2) Why do you seem surprised the dealer only offered you $10k on a $12k car? They need to make money on the trade. Otherwise what's the point?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 AM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

lol you are in the hole with it. That's kind of the whole point of this thread. If you could sell it for more than you owe then why are you trying to trade it in?

Last edited by TGO; 04-18-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2004 Z06 value in the toilet