Sponsored by:

[Z06] Travel and touring with Z06 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:23 PM
1betsy1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Travel and touring with Z06 questions

We're looking at purchasing a C5 to take on vacations and really like the thought of the handling and HPs of the Z in the mountains and hills.
I've driven the C5 coupe but never a Z06?
I love the style and look of the Z.
Is the Z06 AC and heating system capable of hours on the highways and driving in the mountains?
How's the over all road noise and quietness of the interior on a stock car?
Thx
Old 04-04-2017, 07:07 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

AC and heating, no problem.
A bit noisier than a base model, but not bothersome at all IMO.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:10 PM
chasb4570
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Trip car

Our trip car is an '04, six speed coupe. The HVAC in these cars is fine, we live in Phoenix. The coupe will give you more interior room. Performance in stock form is more than adequate. That said, LG Street Pro headers, high flow cats, X-pipe, SLP GTR exhaust and a HP tuners street tune. Car runs awesome. Luggage cuts down on interior noise, dynamat works well.
Chas
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 PM
albertw
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine / exhaust noise stock is low. Much, much louder is the tire noise on coarse pavement. If you idea of a driving holiday is 12 hours a day in the car, like me, I think you'll find it unbearable if it's mostly on chip seal and old, worn asphalt. And you'll have to raise your voice substantially, half way to shouting to carry on a conversation with a passenger. On new pavement the noise is moderate.

To civilize the tire noise I added a partition (between the trunk and seating area), insulated the entire interior except the doors, and went to tires that make less noise than the stock Goodyears. Both Toyo Proxes T-1R or S are much better, as are my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3. Before these changes I wore foam earplugs on long trips. Now I use noise-cancelling earbuds for straight drones on noisy pavement and take them out in the twisties.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (04-06-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 PM
AmbulanceDriver
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by albertw
The engine / exhaust noise stock is low. Much, much louder is the tire noise on coarse pavement. If you idea of a driving holiday is 12 hours a day in the car, like me, I think you'll find it unbearable if it's mostly on chip seal and old, worn asphalt. And you'll have to raise your voice substantially, half way to shouting to carry on a conversation with a passenger. On new pavement the noise is moderate.

To civilize the tire noise I added a partition (between the trunk and seating area), insulated the entire interior except the doors, and went to tires that make less noise than the stock Goodyears. Both Toyo Proxes T-1R or S are much better, as are my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3. Before these changes I wore foam earplugs on long trips. Now I use noise-cancelling earbuds for straight drones on noisy pavement and take them out in the twisties.
Sure you dont want a CTSV? I think the ride od the c5z is extremely comfortable for a sports car. Its not that loud either. I've noticed a lot of people here want a muscle car with Cadillac manners
Old 04-04-2017, 10:37 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I've driven a c5 z06 from Ft. Lauderdale to Denver also drove it to Chicago, new Orleans and Boston from Ft. Lauderdale. I never had one issue with it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I find the C5s to be very ergonomic and easy to drive in long distance. Great fuel economy, cruise control and a joy to drive. As others have mentioned the Z has a bit more road noise. I took care of the road noise by using some noise insulation in the trunk area and also using a partition helps a lot.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 PM
albertw
Cruising

Ambulance Driver,

I've had my car for 16 years. I think I know what I want, and it's not at CTS-V. I want a more civilized Z06, and after a few weekends of work that's what I've got.

The original question was about noise. I didn't comment on the ride, which is fine for me - not sure why you needed to add that to your first obnoxious observation about my post.

As for the noise level, I think on the worst kind of road surfaces with the Goodyear original model tires it is loud enough that long term exposure can damage hearing. Of course, there's lots of people who think that's fine. I thought the people asking the question should get a range of opinions.

Last edited by albertw; 04-05-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 AM
AmbulanceDriver
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how its obnoxious. The corvette is a sports car that can easily be daily driven but it is not going to be sedan quiet. The question stands for the OP considering he is the one asking about purchasing a vehicle, are you sure a CTSV is not a better option? If you are concerned with road noise OP it may be a better option
Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Drove my C5 FRC (with the thinner glass and so on) from Buffalo to Nashville and back for a long weekend with the wife. Zero complaints, AC blew frosty cold, and a decently quiet ride on the Kuhmo tires. Luggage and a partition helps a ton.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I guess I am in the minority here as I purchased a like new 02 Z06 last year with 19K on the odometer. Exterior and interior absolutely mint condition. The interior noise especially on concrete highways is deafening. I couldn't even carry on a cellphone conversation holding my cellphone let alone bluetooth. The ride is harsh, the way a sports car should be so no complaints there but I was shocked at how loud the interior was. I bought a partition and that helped but I went for a complete sound deadening of the entire interior. I have that stuff applied to every single surface of the interior of that car and the difference is remarkable. I can now carry on a conversation with my fiance at 80 mph no problem where before we almost had to shout. Heating and AC system are fine although my blower motor is slightly noisy on high. I still love the car and love driving it long distances. Can't hardly get the smile off my face when behind the wheel.

I did a lot research before I bought the car so knew pretty much what I was getting into but didn't know about the road noise. You can try the partition and that may satisfy you but I needed more than that. Just my .02.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbulanceDriver
I don't see how its obnoxious. The corvette is a sports car that can easily be daily driven but it is not going to be sedan quiet. The question stands for the OP considering he is the one asking about purchasing a vehicle, are you sure a CTSV is not a better option? If you are concerned with road noise OP it may be a better option
He's exaggerating substantially, and is pobably a lot like my dad where any noise at all is an excruciating test of patience and high irritability. In other words, it's not that loud. Even with my car on Toyo R888R's, it's not that loud on any paved surface. I'm not sure why some people just won't admit that the raised noise just bothers them, because hey...that's fine. Understandable. But to say it's loud enough to shout and will cause hearing damage...come on.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 04-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:58 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
He's exaggerating substantially, and is pobably a lot like my dad where any noise at all is an excruciating test of patience and high irritability. In other words, it's not that loud. Even with my car on Toyo R888R's, it's not that loud on any paved surface. I'm not sure why some people just won't admit that the raised noise just bothers them, because hey...that's fine. Understandable. But to say it's loud enough to shout and will cause hearing damage...come on.
Repeated and extended exposure to noise levels over 85 decibels can cause permanent hearing damage. My Z was up around 85+ at highway speeds on concrete. I ignored everything I heard about ear damage and now suffer the consequences. It also makes you even more sensitive to loud noises, so I guarantee there are some folks out there like myself that the high road noise will really bother. The Z has high road noise in stock condition but it can be tamed if it bothers you. I deadened the road noise and was, for me, the best possible mod I could have ever done. Just wanted to give my humble opinion about it.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:00 AM
1betsy1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx. all for sharing your information.
I've owned and driven many old chevys of the past but never a somewhat modern day sports car other than a base C/5 and C/6 that I thought was at a comfortable ride and noise level for traveling.
Unfortunately no ones going to let me take a couple hour drive in there Z06 for sale,
I'm not a noise snob but I'm getting a little long in tooth and don't want to regreat not being able to travel with such a nice all around car that I have scraped and saved to purchase.
It wasnt long ago where I would go anywhere in anything but the body has changed, though I have know intentions of laying the around the porch.

Last edited by 1betsy1; 04-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't really get all the road noise complaints. I have an 03 Z. No partition and no sound deadening. Is it louder than my new Silverado and my wifes new Maxima...Yes, no doubt about it. But I have surely never felt the need to raise my voice to my passenger or wear earplugs. Those statements actually made me laugh to myself. I can't imagine the roads being driven on are much worse than the roads here in Upstate NY. I wouldn't think twice about getting in my Z and driving across the country....but that's me...
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by 1betsy1
Unfortunately no ones going to let me take a couple hour drive in there Z06 for sale,
Where are you located? You might be able to meet up with a couple of people to compare a coupe to a Z.

Tires and road conditions DO matter. Fresh grooved concrete seems loudest. Luggage helps tame the sound. Comfort wise, the C5 is incredible. Took my Z on a 14 day 5000 mile trip and would be willing to do it again.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Its louder than a big, heavy sedan, but I've had no issues on any trips, including a 1500 mile trip a couple years back. Currently I have quite a bit of tire noise, but these tires have 30k HARD miles on them, they were pretty quiet when new. My wife had zero issues falling asleep 30 minutes into our trip down to Florida, even with the headers and borla straight pipes.

I'll actually say that when we want comfort on a longer drive we take the corvette instead of her 2005 corolla, which is just not nearly as ergonomic or comfortable.

Get notified of new replies

To Travel and touring with Z06 questions

Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 PM
oldvtr
Instructor

Default Touring in a C5 Z06

We're looking at purchasing a C5 to take on vacations and really like the thought of the handling and HPs of the Z in the mountains and hills.
Is the Z06 AC and heating system capable of hours on the highways and driving in the mountains?
Thx
I am 69 and have owned my '02 Z06 for 11 years. We have traveled all over the country during non-snow seasons - New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Gulf Coast, Missouri, Wisconsin, Rt 66 to Phoenix and then back through Texas on golf trips and to participate in track days. Have never found the car to be too noisy - it's a sports car. 8 to 10 hours a day with no discomfort.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:10 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Noise

Thx
I've owned my Z now for 3 years I am 6' tall and find the car very comfortable on long trips my wife usually falls asleep during long rides and always comments on how smooth the car rides and she is the CTSV type person as for noise I feel the car is relatively quiet however I think tire choice has a lot to do with it. I run the Continental DW's
Old 04-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

A fresh set of Conti DWs and a trunk loaded with Soft luggage, you'll have a 10+ hr a day 27+ mpg, mileage eater. Some road surfaces can be annoying (take the chain chop here in the Sierras). We have logged over 150k in ours, (org owner) all over the US, Mexico, and even a stent in Europe.

My only complaint is that my bones are starting to wear out, getting IN & OUT is noticeably harder...(it's a low car). " This car is going to out last me..." Then again, maybe it's the IN & OUT that's adding the weight that's the problem. ;-)

What the worst that can happen if you buy a Z? You'll have a great car.

Mark

Last edited by Moto One; 04-06-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Travel and touring with Z06 questions