Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How much should this 2004 Z16 sell for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM
SeanmanZ06
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much should this 2004 Z16 sell for?

Hey Guys,

Sadly, I am considering putting my beloved 04' Le Mans Z06 up for sale. My wife and I have found our dream waterfront home, and I could use the funds for a nice down payment. Wanted to post here and get some feedback as to what a fair by owner price would be on this car. It is an immaculate 2004 Le Mans Z06(Z16), that just turned 80k miles. Always garage kept, and always under a cover. I installed the A&A V3 Si kit a couple years back, and added LG Longtubes, and a LS7 clutch with a Fidanza flywheel at the same time. The car was tuned and made 610whp/503wtq on a dynojet. About a year ago I added the Big Bubba BOV kit w/ trumpet from A&A, as well as the 3.6'' pulley, down from the 3.8'' it came with. The car runs perfectly and makes about 11 pounds of boost. It also has a set of seats from a Viper, which were reupholstered with black leather and black suede on the inserts, as well as the factory looking red Z06 embroidery on the headrests. The car has an aftermarket carbon fiber hood which was professionally painted, and striped to match the flow of the factory Z16 look. Also installed is a double din Pioneer Premier NAV/stereo unit, wideband sensor w/ AFR gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and boost gauge. Hurst shifter, drilled/slotted front and rear rotors, brand new 305/18 Nitto 555 Extreme Drag Radials in rear, HID headlight conversion kit, LED running/turn signal lights, and a brand new A/C compressor, condenser, accumulator, and orifice tube. The HUD was experiencing the "fall down" issue, so I have repaired that recently as well, and it is functioning perfectly. Everything on this car is truly unscathed. Factory paint still looks wet. I will attach some pictures below. Let me know what you guys think. (Some of the pictures came out sideways and not sure how to rotate them in here.)
Attached Images        
Old 04-06-2017, 10:50 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Would start pricing at around 20-22K and be prepared for 17-18K.

Unfortunately, most shy away from modded cars. At 22K, this would be a steal with the mods you have done. However, that is a good bit of boost on a stock bottom end. Do you have a methanol/water kit as well?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Difficult to price such a nicely modded Z16. I would start in the $30k range (+/-), and go from there. Beautiful car. Best of luck.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bikeriderga

Unfortunately, most shy away from modded cars. At 22K, this would be a steal with the mods you have done. However, that is a good bit of boost on a stock bottom end. Do you have a methanol/water kit as well?
17-18k for a Z16? a bone stock '04 Z with similar mileage would never go for below $20k.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:06 AM
corvette27
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful car and great color. I am in the market for for a C5 z, however I'm not a fan of modding Z06's lowers the value in my opinion. If it were none stock you would get more money. I would make an offer if it was a factory stock car.

I would say 18-20k is what you will get for the car.

Thanka!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedLS6
17-18k for a Z16? a bone stock '04 Z with similar mileage would never go for below $20k.

I have priced my 04 with 66K miles at 21K and haven't even had a tire kicker. I wish the OP good luck, that is a beautiful car.

Shakey
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM
SeanmanZ06
Intermediate

No methanol/water kit, but the car is tuned fat/rich to compensate. No knock. Been running like a top for years, albeit I do not beat the crap out of it either.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedLS6
Bone stock is the key there!

If you can find a buyer that is looking for a well documented modded car, sure with the mods the OP has done, then getting it for 28K would be a bargain. He has at least 10-17K in mods, but as anyone will tell you, you NEVER get what you put into mods out of them! Never mod a car expecting to really increase it's value (see exceptions listed in this post).

Most buyers are not looking for and are afraid of modded cars. I do not begrudge the OP or the value of his car at all!! I understand well modded cars are WORTH MORE! However, most people don't. They see them as "ticking time bombs". The exceptions are Lingenfelter or Calloway type modded cars. These will always bring a premium, but have less potential buyers.

If the OP has time to sell or is not in a hurry to sell, then yes ask more and only accept more. Targeting performance minded people looking for a performance bargain, would be a smart way to go. However, if he is looking for quick sale, then he will have to go with the current market price.

Ask people with modded cars what kind of prices they are getting with over 60K miles. They usually have to accept market value or even less.

I get your point and I am not disagreeing with it. Simply looking at the market overall. An 04 80K car is about 18-22K.

Finally, if you have time and target the right people, you can get more and you should. I should have mentioned that in my original post. My fault, it was an oversight. I should have added that caveat in my response.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 04-06-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
I have priced my 04 with 66K miles at 21K and haven't even had a tire kicker. I wish the OP good luck, that is a beautiful car.

Shakey
Not to hijack, but plan for replacement?
OP, I would price it around $24K hoping for a buyer who wants what you have done. Guessing it'll sell a bit below.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Bone stock is the key there!...
I definitely see your point. Great post!
The following users liked this post:
bikeriderga (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:24 PM
SeanmanZ06
Intermediate

Bone stock is the key there!

If you can find a buyer that is looking for a well documented modded car, sure with the mods the OP has done, then getting it for 28K would be a bargain. He has at least 10-17K in mods, but as anyone will tell you, you NEVER get what you put into mods out of them! Never mod a car expecting to really increase it's value (see exceptions listed in this post).

Most buyers are not looking for and are afraid of modded cars. I do not begrudge the OP or the value of his car at all!! I understand well modded cars are WORTH MORE! However, most people don't. They see them as "ticking time bombs". The exceptions are Lingenfelter or Calloway type modded cars. These will always bring a premium, but have less potential buyers.

If the OP has time to sell or is not in a hurry to sell, then yes ask more and only accept more. Targeting performance minded people looking for a performance bargain, would be a smart way to go. However, if he is looking for quick sale, then he will have to go with the current market price.

Ask people with modded cars what kind of prices they are getting with over 60K miles. They usually have to accept market value or even less.

I get your point and I am not disagreeing with it. Simply looking at the market overall. An 04 80K car is about 18-22K.

Finally, if you have time and target the right people, you can get more and you should. I should have mentioned that in my original post. My fault, it was an oversight. I should have added that caveat in my response.
Well put! Appreciate the time and effort you've provided in your post. From what I gather this far, I should probably start with a premium sale price, and if push comes to shove with the new property, accept a reasonably lower final offer. Hopefully I can move everything around in order to make it all work, and be more relaxed with time on my side to sell the Vette for what she's truly worth. Thanks again for your input!
bikeriderga (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:56 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd start by listing the car for $30,000 OBO & see what feedback you get. The realistic value on that car, being that it is so heavily modded (really to the point it is no longer a C5 corvette TBH), is probably just under $20k, particularly w/ 60k miles.

You need to see if there's a buyer out there looking for an '04 Z w/ that level of modification, & who is comfortable w/ the build/quality etc. If that person exists a value in the range of $20-$30k also exists as it would take @ least $10-$15k to turn a stock C5Z into what you have.

BUT....not many buyers out there like that because a) people are weary of heavy mod builds unless they know the tuner/builder/car, b) bone stock C5Z's w/ lower miles @ reasonable prices can be had & then modded to make it "your" car, c) high mileage beat down track rat C5Z's w/ those mods PROVEN to handle the abuse can be had for less as well.

If you don't find that special buyer de-mod the blower @ least sell it on its own & you'll be in good shape.

Another thing going against you & your car is if there was ever a single C5 corvette model that really SHOULD have been kept in stock condition....its your CE. That's just the unfortunate truth....so buyers particularly looking for '04 CE C5Z's are really keen on finding low mileage bone stock examples, yours is the opposite of that.

Last edited by C5Dobie; 04-06-2017 at 02:59 PM.
bikeriderga (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Not to hijack, but plan for replacement?
OP, I would price it around $24K hoping for a buyer who wants what you have done. Guessing it'll sell a bit below.

No plan for now. I have a price in mind, if I don't get it, I will keep it. Don't have to sell, but could use the money for other priorities right now.

Shakey
Old 04-07-2017, 11:27 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Purchased a 04 Z06 for 25 last Sept, with 9800 miles. Silver with Borla's Int. like new.
12 yr. old with org. tires, perfect conditional , hard as a rock. All new fluids as I'm sure never been changed. Sold a "10" 65 roadster for 56500. That I restored in 04-07 got a lot of attention, but the smile is not the same on my face when I'm in the Z06
Old 04-08-2017, 03:58 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

How long have you owned the car? All the mods on the car done by you, or previous owner?

That hood/striping looks very familiar...

frank

Last edited by JETZ; 04-08-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:03 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

What a gorgeous C5Z Z16....
'show and go"....

I agree with others....
Corvette owners who own these cars and can appreciate the mods "may" give you top dollar for that car. Conversely, their are more individuals out there who do not know these cars but "think" they want a built C5Z not taking into consideration what a powerful car it is bone stock.

I speak from personal experience. I recently sold my highly modified and built C5Z... was nowhere close to what I wanted for it. Or what I had in it. Have a realistic expectation of what you will take ( not what you want) and don't deviate from that. 80K, stock bottom end, 11psi for some is not conducive and those in the know will shy away. Personally, if I didn't already have 5 cars I would be very interested in this one. Very nice, tastefully done imo. GL with sale.... Be patient, realistic and the right buyer will come along.

Last edited by TXGS507; 04-17-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:27 AM
SeanmanZ06
Intermediate

Thanks for for the reply! I listed the car high to start with, just to see if I get any hits. If I don't see any serious inquiries in a week or two, I am going to lower it down closer to what is actually consider letting it go for... one question: what are the best websites to list these cars on these days?

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
What a gorgeous C5Z Z16....
'show and go"....

I agree with others....
Corvette owners who own these cars and can appreciate the mods "may" give you top dollar for that car. Conversely, their are more individuals out there who do not know these cars but "think" they want a built C5Z not taking into consideration what a powerful car it is bone stock.

I speak from personal experience. I recently sold my highly modified and built C5Z... was nowhere close to what I wanted for it. Or what I had in it. Have a realistic expectation of what you will take ( not what you want) and don't deviate from that. 80K, stock bottom end, 11psi for some is not conducive and those in the know will shy away. Personally, if I didn't already have 5 cars I would be very interested in this one. Very nice, tastefully done imo. GL with sale.... Be patient, realistic and the right buyer will come along.

Get notified of new replies

To How much should this 2004 Z16 sell for?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

All those low baller, "must be stock" bozos are under informed people who think these cars are collector cars. No C5Zs will ever be like the C1-2s are now in value, but they just don't get it. The future won't include internal combustion engines, and in a couple of decades, anything that burns gas will be either illegal, or in a museum. If you're able, enjoy your car. I wouldn't sell my car for less than 30k, but I don't need to. GLWS.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:46 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I would start in the 25-27k range. You can always go down in price. Going up is a little harder.

I think anyone looking for a Z16 is looking for a bone stock one.

Unfortunately, the clock is not on your side if you're selling to fund a dream waterfront home.

Maybe try taking it to carmax. They will assess and give you a price that they would buy it, knowing that they have to make some profit. So take their price and bump it couple grand and start there.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

There is a supercharged Z06 sitting up at Corvette Warehouse in Dallas. Although it only has 10K miles on it, it might be a good point of reference for what to list yours at.

http://www.corvettewarehouse.com/200...-Texas/6164317

Quick Reply: [Z06] How much should this 2004 Z16 sell for?