Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:18 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Shocks and Brake pads

Posted in tech forum no answer to my question

Removed and replaced shocks without disassembling front or rear suspension. Replaced brake pads ceramic without disconnecting any lines. I took out for a test drive I hear the rotor sound like brake pads are rubbing and no I did not resurface rotors they are slotted drill rotors. So I thought that was normal changed pads it will wear down after a couple of miles. Went to work today and my steering wheel shakes something awful. I installed Blistien shocks I notice this just the front end. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

How many miles were on the front rotors before you swapped new pads? Were the rotors worn bad? Your rotors could be warped or need to be replaced.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

did you torque the wheels? that's honestly the most common cause of what you just said. if a rotor wasn't seated and you put the wheels back on it will shake itself lose in a couple blocks

go check your lug torque

Last edited by racebum; 04-08-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
How many miles were on the front rotors before you swapped new pads? Were the rotors worn bad? Your rotors could be warped or need to be replaced.
My rotors are good. Not warped. Just changed pads to ceramic. Honestly the pads I took of were even all around. Decided while I was there to change them. But I will look again thanks for feed back.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racebum
did you torque the wheels? that's honestly the most common cause of what you just said. if a rotor wasn't seated and you put the wheels back on it will shake itself lose in a couple blocks

go check your lug torque
No did not have a torque wrench. Did the German method goodin tight. I am at work I have access to a torque wrench. Thanks for the feed back . I suspecting a dead shock.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:36 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

My suspicion was wrong Racebum. I did not go by the golden rule German method goodin tight is not the correct procedure. I have access to torque wrench at work . They were loose. Torque the tires problem went away. I am embarrassed I did not follow my gut and go by Discount Tires before I went work and have them torqued. Lesson learned if you are going to do something do it right the first time. Thanks Racebum
Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray76l82
My suspicion was wrong Racebum. I did not go by the golden rule German method goodin tight is not the correct procedure. I have access to torque wrench at work . They were loose. Torque the tires problem went away. I am embarrassed I did not follow my gut and go by Discount Tires before I went work and have them torqued. Lesson learned if you are going to do something do it right the first time. Thanks Racebum

Get notified of new replies

To Shocks and Brake pads

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shocks and Brake pads