Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:35 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TGO
275/40-17 front
295/35-18 rear

I couldn't find NT05's or anything else I see recommended. I got Michelin PS2's. I've had them on another car before so I know they are a good tire. I got them from Costco. Great warranty on top of factory.
don't until you find out if the 295 is still n4e only in the compound. if it is it's a mismatch with the front unless you have a 911 which uses that compound out back

the t1s is less expensive and an equal performer. they are also current production the ps2 is being phased out

i've driven most of the available z06 tires and there is no way i'd take a ps2 over the t1s with our current situation. if the ps2 was just made AND it was the matching compound to the front maybe but that isn't the case. the t1s is current. the michelin that is quite a lot better is the pss and it's not available in this size. the ps2 is also much more expensive and for no real reason in benefit. best case scenario IF the compounds were correct and IF the ps2 was just made it MIGHT be slightly faster than a t1s but you're seriously splitting hairs. they both hovered around the same on the skidpad. michelin casing like most their sport tires was excellent but this tire hasn't been made in the same compound 265 and 295 for years. they LOOK the same but they aren't

the conti sport could be another choice. brand new compound and suppose to be decent. that is the one z06 tire i haven't driven. the older DW was okay but had a terrible sidewall. not very responsive

Last edited by racebum; 04-16-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:19 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah. I don't race my car. I don't care.

I didn't even see a mention of compound on the site anyway.

Last edited by TGO; 04-16-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:11 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by TGO
Yeah. I don't race my car. I don't care.

I didn't even see a mention of compound on the site anyway.
it's in bold print

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...S2N4&tab=Sizes

N4 Porsche

you effectively have two different tires front and rear

you may notice the 265 40 17 does not say this

https://www.puretyre.co.uk/tyre-info...che-n-marking/

is an explanation of what the N means

or in short
Porsche tyres with “N” markings should be fitted in full sets of the same tyre in order to maximize the performance and handling characteristics of the car.
Mixing of different brands and/or patterns is not recommended.
Mixing of different N numbers is not recommended even if its from the same tyre manufacturer.
the t1s is cheaper, performs similar, is in production this year and a similar performer to the ps2 back when they actually were the same F&R

Last edited by racebum; 04-16-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by racebum
it's in bold print

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...S2N4&tab=Sizes

N4 Porsche

you effectively have two different tires front and rear

you may notice the 265 40 17 does not say this

https://www.puretyre.co.uk/tyre-info...che-n-marking/

is an explanation of what the N means

or in short

the t1s is cheaper, performs similar, is in production this year and a similar performer to the ps2 back when they actually were the same F&R
1) Maybe you missed the part where I said I don't care?

2) Maybe you also missed the part where I said I didn't buy from tirerack?

EDIT: The N1 porsche was not specified on the Costco site and it is not specified on the tire itself. They both have a single number combination with an N in it and both front and rear tires have it. Otherwise nothing.

Last edited by TGO; 04-16-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 PM
bmarcinczyk14
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by c6speedjon
I run nitto nt05 275/40/17 up front and nitto nt05r 285/40/18 in rear. I need the drag radials all the time as I've got an a&a kit and the car is making 650 rwhp. I love this set up. Weekend warrior as well with occasional 1/2 mile event and 1/4 mile strip...
Why would you go narrower than stock in the rear?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM
bmarcinczyk14
Racer

don't until you find out if the 295 is still n4e only in the compound. if it is it's a mismatch with the front unless you have a 911 which uses that compound out back

the t1s is less expensive and an equal performer. they are also current production the ps2 is being phased out

i've driven most of the available z06 tires and there is no way i'd take a ps2 over the t1s with our current situation. if the ps2 was just made AND it was the matching compound to the front maybe but that isn't the case. the t1s is current. the michelin that is quite a lot better is the pss and it's not available in this size. the ps2 is also much more expensive and for no real reason in benefit. best case scenario IF the compounds were correct and IF the ps2 was just made it MIGHT be slightly faster than a t1s but you're seriously splitting hairs. they both hovered around the same on the skidpad. michelin casing like most their sport tires was excellent but this tire hasn't been made in the same compound 265 and 295 for years. they LOOK the same but they aren't

the conti sport could be another choice. brand new compound and suppose to be decent. that is the one z06 tire i haven't driven. the older DW was okay but had a terrible sidewall. not very responsive
What is this t1s you speak of?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:46 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Toyo...
Old 04-16-2017, 11:25 PM
bmarcinczyk14
Racer

These? Looks like they don't make our size for the fronts
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Old 04-17-2017, 12:14 AM
TGO
Safety Car

T1 Sport I think.

And they still only have stock 265 width for the front.

I have no worries about the PS2's.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:41 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14
Proxes T1 Sport. Don't think tirerack has them, but the Toyo site shows factory sizing front and rear.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:24 AM
racebum
Race Director

tire rack is an obsolete business

discount tire does everything they do and have locations virtually everywhere. they can pull from brands & special order sizes tire rack won't touch or doesn't have

quite a few members have been able to get the t1s is the correct size lately from them. simply give them a call and go over what you want or walk into any of the thousands of locations

oh no. it's still not over, discount tire will price match amazon or any other major vendor. tire rack will tell you to kick rocks AND charge you shipping. thus...obsolete business.

simply googling t1s 265 40 17 would have brought up various results

Last edited by racebum; 04-17-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:25 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by grantv
Proxes T1 Sport. Don't think tirerack has them, but the Toyo site shows factory sizing front and rear.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:26 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by TGO
T1 Sport I think.

And they still only have stock 265 width for the front.

I have no worries about the PS2's.
they will roll down the street well enough. my comment was simply about getting the most for your money and keeping the handling balance of your car. if you want to spend more for less that's okay, your car your money. the old saying about lead a horse to water...really applies here.

the N spec is on the michelin home page. the ps2 in 295 35 18 is only made in N4 now

i still question if you really grasp what you're getting when you say you have no worries but again. i really have no interest in adding more if you're just some hostile old man. this is more of a for the benefit of others type response now. do your homework people. learn from this guy's mistake

the nt05 is a classic dry weather go-to
the t1s is an amazing dry/wet sport tire that can go a solid 20k miles
the new conti sport looks promising !

choose from one of those 3 and enjoy the car

Last edited by racebum; 04-17-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Just get the Conti Extreme Contact Sports & be done. They are an excellent tire. I run 275/40-17 front & 295/35-18 rear.

Steve
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 AM
bmarcinczyk14
Racer

they will roll down the street well enough. my comment was simply about getting the most for your money and keeping the handling balance of your car. if you want to spend more for less that's okay, your car your money. the old saying about lead a horse to water...really applies here.

the N spec is on the michelin home page. the ps2 in 295 35 18 is only made in N4 now

i still question if you really grasp what you're getting when you say you have no worries but again. i really have no interest in adding more if you're just some hostile old man. this is more of a for the benefit of others type response now. do your homework people. learn from this guy's mistake

Will the t1s last longer than the nt05? Will the conti sports last considerably longer than the t1s? How would the conti sports and t1s compare in dry grip?

EDIT: Hmm, very promising article for the conti sports
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...act-Sport.aspx

Last edited by bmarcinczyk14; 04-17-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM
TGO
Safety Car

OMG what are you babbling about? Jesus.

Listen, I spent an hour or so trying to find tires that came in the sizes I had on my car. I found nothing. I was looking to go with Nitto, but, the only tire I could find that wasn't a track slick was the PS2. I've had these tires before and I have had no problems with them at all. Costco has the best price and the best warranty so that's where I bought them. Whatever this N spec nonsense you're babbling about is, I saw no mention of it anywhere on the website nor do I see it on the tire itself. Coscto - as funny as it sounds - is pretty thorough about details as well and they made no mention of it either. You make it sound like having a Porsche certified tire is a bad thing anyway. LOL! The car drives and handles fine. I'm not interested in wasting time nitpicking over the most minute detail that even if there is a difference would only manifest itself under a very specific condition. You sound like a Toyo salesperson. The tires are already bought and installed anyway. Not sure what you're expecting me to do. Go preach to someone else.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:33 PM
racebum
Race Director

Will the t1s last longer than the nt05? Will the conti sports last considerably longer than the t1s? How would the conti sports and t1s compare in dry grip?

EDIT: Hmm, very promising article for the conti sports
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...act-Sport.aspx
i really couldn't tell you. i haven't driven the conti sport but with tires newer is often better. the t1s was a great performer and behaved very well on the c5z but i really could not give you a hand on comparison.

the t1s will last substantially longer than the nt05. 25% would be a ballpark guess. better wet performance as well. the nt05 really comes into it's own above 90-100deg. the t1s works well enough on 50deg days or 100deg days. it doesn't require heat to perform well. the nt05 gets dicy as the temps drop

i would love a chance to drive the conti sport as it may well be a top tier choice. they are light which is also a bonus. only concern is a 340 utqg which may limit overall grip but even that is hard to say. michelin was generating numbers out of the pss with a 300utqg that many 200 tires can't touch. to date the pilot super sport is my favorite "street" tire, sadly they don't come in front sizes for the c5z

Last edited by racebum; 04-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Tire Sizes on OEM C5 Z06 Rims

Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 PM
caslerst
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC Tireracks website lists 275's as rears so it won't return results if you try to look for matched sets using 275 as fronts and 295 as rear. Do a separate search for the 275's and it'll show results (at least it did when I was looking a couple months ago).

I just put the new Continental ExtremeContact Sports on my daily driver Z in 275/295. So far they seem to be okay. They hold the power a lot better than the Bridgestone's and I had to drive it in the rain today, because my truck's wipers broke, and they did fine at 70 on the freeway. Obviously don't know how long they'll last but the Bridgestone's went 40k. It was about 20k of poor performance though, fishtailing everywhere.

I looked at every brand I could on lots of different sites and the Conti just seemed to fit my needs the best. I wanted it all, performance, longevity, and a good price. Nitto's seem to be a good price and performance but don't last. Michelin's perform and last but are $$$.

For a daily driver they seem to be the best of both worlds and are priced pretty well.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:46 PM
bmarcinczyk14
Racer

Yeah I think at the moment I'm leaning towards the Extreme Contact Sports, they fit the bill of decent tread life without sacrificing too much performance, all while staying at a very reasonable price. They're supposed to be right on par with the PSS in dry performance and maybe even better in the wet, and much cheaper. Which Bridgestones did you have? Considering my current tires are the OEM's, can I expect the contact sports to be better than that tire in every regard (assuming the OEM's are new also for comparison purposes).

Last edited by bmarcinczyk14; 04-18-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 PM
caslerst
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which Bridgestones did you have? Considering my current tires are the OEM's, can I expect the contact sports to be better than that tire in every regard (assuming the OEM's are new also for comparison purposes).
I had Bridgestone RE760's and they were brand new when I bought the car. They were a decent tire for a car that saw a lot of freeway but their performance dropped a lot as they wore. No confidence in the corners and I could spin them easily in second even though my car is stock. Pulling out from a side street became difficult because they just spun.

I don't know how the Conti's will compare with what you have now. But like I said, it's performing well, is priced right, comes with roadside assistance, a 30k mile warranty (verify based on size), and a 60 day trial. So far I'm happy with my choice.

Oh, the 275's do have a little taller sidewall than the 265. It does not cause any problem with traction control and I don't think it looks weird but some do. There's a post with pics somewhere on here if this is a concern for you.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best Tire Sizes on OEM C5 Z06 Rims