Sponsored by:

[Z06] Took my '02 Z06 to the dragstrip.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Potent68
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbulanceDriver
Glad your issues were fixed! I have ghost cels now. Same codes just randomly turn on now. Been a while day without them. Fingers crossed! Cheers!
Hopefully yours don't keep haunting you too. The added bonus for me of going back to the stock air cleaner assembly is that I can run in the stock class at the autocross races. Even having a different air cleaner puts you into a modified class where people can have WAY more done than just a simple air filter.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 PM
AmbulanceDriver
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Potent68
Hopefully yours don't keep haunting you too. The added bonus for me of going back to the stock air cleaner assembly is that I can run in the stock class at the autocross races. Even having a different air cleaner puts you into a modified class where people can have WAY more done than just a simple air filter.
We will see. So far so good knock on wood! Really? That's crazy we don't really have autocross stuff in my town unfortunately.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Potent68
Instructor

Originally Posted by AmbulanceDriver
We will see. So far so good knock on wood! Really? That's crazy we don't really have autocross stuff in my town unfortunately.
I have to go North or South by about 30-45 minutes to find it but that's a fun commute in these cars. My problem now is trying to decide if I am going to go to the autocross or the dragstrip now that the car is running so much better. I still can't get over how great she feels now too. It's unreal.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Simply getting your 60' down to 2.0 or better will get you into the 12.xx. MPH may come up a little but that is more dependent on accel through the rpm band and DA.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:36 AM
LS6FRC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
unhooking the ground resets the fuel trims. pull the ground off the battery and start from zero.

.060 gap will do it, lucky you didn't waste a coil. the GF has a mercedes with 105k on it, OE plugs, finally took out a coil. i have harped to change those for a year or more. coil died. she limped it home on 5cyl. gap was about .065. new plugs and a new coil went in, runs great.

I always gap my plugs to .040
Old 05-14-2017, 12:40 AM
LS6FRC
Advanced

I use premium. I couldn't tell you off hand if that is 91 or 92 here, but I get it religiously from the Fred Meyer (Kroger) gas station. The cats *should* be good with only 10k miles on them but it's something to keep in mind for sure.

from my experience with all my ls cars I've owned Fred Meyer gas slowed my cars down. I would suggest chevron or Phillips 66
Old 05-14-2017, 10:22 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6FRC
from my experience with all my ls cars I've owned Fred Meyer gas slowed my cars down. I would suggest chevron or Phillips 66
oddly enough we only have 5 refineries around here and chevron owns none of them. that gas is coming from some other brand unless they truck it or ship it from elsewhere which is doubtful since 90+% of our capacity comes from those 5 and cherry point is the largest which is owned by arco/bp
Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Make a small log of all the details if you get back to the strip and we can give you some pointers if necessary. Glad to hear the car is running better.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:43 AM
gordy02corvette
Advanced

Great weather here in Oregon so I was hoping for some great results. The car ran 13.1 @ 111 most of the day. It felt like it was hesitating in the upper RPM range in 3rd. This became more evident when I ran a newer Mustang GT. I had him by a few mph in the 1/8th and then he had me by a few mph in the 1/4.

A run or two later the check engine light came on yielding the famous P0171 and P0174 codes. When I bought the car somebody had put a Blackwing intake on it. I'm hoping that's the cause of the issue. I should definitely be trapping higher than the 111. (I did hit a best of 13.0 @ 112.) After clearing the codes they didn't come back for the mellow drive home.

I stuck a WTB up in the parts section to see if I can find a stock air box.

Oh, and my Bridgestone Potenza's coupled with my first time back at the track in over 10 years were yielding 2.2 60' times.

I am hoping that putting a stock air box back on the car will get my mph back up where it should be and then I can just worry about my launching technique.
Corvettes are road racers, not dragsters!!!! You can actually turn right or left and use the brakes with your vette!!!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gordy02corvette
Corvettes are road racers, not dragsters!!!! You can actually turn right or left and use the brakes with your vette!!!
They can do both, quite well.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Potent68
Instructor

Originally Posted by gordy02corvette
LOL, that's why I took it to the autocross also, and will be autocrossing again this weekend!

I figure compared to the life of confinement the poor car had (remember, I bought it with 86xx miles on it in January) the car is finally being used as the General intended.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 PM
HONK 3X
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly doubt putting the stock intake on will make your car faster....
Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Potent68
Instructor

Originally Posted by HONK 3X
I highly doubt putting the stock intake on will make your car faster....
I'm not sure I said it would, and I don't have time to go re-read all of my old posts. What it has done was put it back to original condition to help with troubleshooting. It has also allowed me to run in the stock class for autocross, and has kept those left/right bank lean codes from recurring.

I still have the Blackwing on my workbench in case I decide to go ahead and use it if I ever install headers and a mid-pipe on my car. Personally though, I'm not a fan of oiled filters and would rather not use one.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure I said it would, and I don't have time to go re-read all of my old posts. What it has done was put it back to original condition to help with troubleshooting. It has also allowed me to run in the stock class for autocross, and has kept those left/right bank lean codes from recurring.

I still have the Blackwing on my workbench in case I decide to go ahead and use it if I ever install headers and a mid-pipe on my car. Personally though, I'm not a fan of oiled filters and would rather not use one.
The mail order tune option from ECS and other vendors are pretty good for basic mods like intake. I had issues with my vararam, was getting cel, tried the metal screen which did help some but it was still off the charts on ltft and pig rich under wot until I got a mail order tune which adjusts the VE and MAF translation table correctly for the intake. I no longer user the metal screen. I have since learned how to tune some and made further refinements using a wideband and hptuners but I digress in my post. The main issue with adding an intake to the stock tune is the car runs very rich at wot and putting on an intake on it actually causes it to run even richer during wot due to how lean it can run during cruising conditions. The cruising adjustments are added to the wot fueling which causes this super rich wot condition as its sort of a ecu safety measure. I wouldn't give up on your intake just get a mail order tune and enjoy the benefits from a shop that has tuned thousands of c5's with the same mods you will most certainly enjoy the throttle response and extra power just from tune and cold air intake on this car imo. They will also adjust the fans, cags, raise the rpm and some other items.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:22 AM
Potent68
Instructor

****UPDATE****

I took the car back to the track today in bone stock form.

I was in the right hand lane. The left hand lane was a cam/heads/headers/exhaust/air cleaner C5 non-Z06 car. I was a tick faster than him at the 1/8th and then he somehow out MPH'd me by 4 mph both runs. I'd expect him to be faster, but I was faster for most of the run. Different red line? Different gear ratio? MN6 vs MN12? Either way, it was great fun and I'm so glad the car is more in line with my expectations now.

Here's the DA and correction.

Last edited by Potent68; 06-03-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

OP are you running a catch can? Somethings still up on the back half of your time...
Old 06-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Potent68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scotty2000SS
OP are you running a catch can? Somethings still up on the back half of your time...
Negative. Bone stock from a performance perspective. I have dyno time with Tom Wong at the end of the month just to make sure nothing is awry. Theoretically, the previous owner could have had it tuned, so that will be one of the things we're going to check. I'm not having it tuned at this point, other than putting it back to a stock GM tune if it has anything else on it currently.

I'm just wanting to make sure I don't have a weak coil pack or some other mystery issue making itself known. I figure it's just one of those things you deal with with a car that was barely driven 500 miles a year it's whole life. Issues like this wouldn't be noticed when you're just slowly cruising to the car show and back.

Get notified of new replies

To Took my '02 Z06 to the dragstrip.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I highly recommend adding a catch can and another bottle of sea foam before you hit the dyno. Run that tank out with the sea foam too before you hit the rollers.

Ask me how I know lol
Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

****UPDATE****

I took the car back to the track today in bone stock form.

I was in the right hand lane. The left hand lane was a cam/heads/headers/exhaust/air cleaner C5 non-Z06 car. I was a tick faster than him at the 1/8th and then he somehow out MPH'd me by 4 mph both runs. I'd expect him to be faster, but I was faster for most of the run. Different red line? Different gear ratio? MN6 vs MN12? Either way, it was great fun and I'm so glad the car is more in line with my expectations now.

Here's the DA and correction.

Your car seems like its running fine.
Some more seat time with better your ET and also increase the mph a bit as well.

Proof is your timeslip. That driver in the left lane needs more practice and its affecting et as expected but mph as well. The setup could be off as well but most often in my experience driver error plays the biggest role.
Nice pass.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 PM
Potent68
Instructor

Pulling this one back up for an update.

I took the Z06 up to Tom Wong today and he strapped it to the dyno. To make a long story short, he found that the car was going rich by almost a full point in the air/fuel about the time I thought it felt like it was struggling at higher RPM's. It looked like a stock GM tune too. Tom worked his magic and I can definitely say that any weird hesitation feeling is completely gone now and the car feels noticeably smoother all around. It even got about 27 mpg on the drive home despite a few 3rd gear blasts to test it.

I am so glad this wasn't in my imagination and there was actually something weird happening.

Last edited by Potent68; 06-29-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Took my '02 Z06 to the dragstrip.