Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Want to install long tube headers myself...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM
BulldogHD
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to install long tube headers myself...

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading and learning from the forum for a while. But, this is my first post. I have a 2001 Z06 with 26K miles. It was totally stock when I bought it. I have replaced the stock air box with a Vararam. I replaced the stock shifter with an MGW flat stick shifter. And I sent the PCM to Doug for a mail in tune. I bought a set of ARH long tube headers from CCA. I enjoy working on my vehicles and I want to install the headers myself. I would like to hear from anyone that has actually done this. How much of a PIA was it? And, how did you lift and support the car high enough to work under it???

Thanks in advance,

Joe D.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The headers were on my car when I purchased it but I have had them off and on a couple of times. Mine are texas speed. Its really quite simple but a buddy of mine has a lift in his garage which makes everything a million times easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by ApexerER:
BulldogHD (04-19-2017), JUSTCRZN (04-22-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed Kooks myself on jackstands. They went in easily from the bottom. ARH is supposed to fit even better than the Kooks. You'll be fine!
The following users liked this post:
BulldogHD (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 PM
BulldogHD
8th Gear

I have it up on jack stands. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

MY LG's are on the way. Out with the terrible OBX headers and in with some decent fitting pieces. I have had the headers off the heads twice, but never out of the engine bay so I'm in the same boat.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM
jattz06
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Arh fit great.. makes the job pretty easy
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Arvette1
8th Gear

Let us know how it goes. I'm in the same boat as you trying to decide if I want to do it myself.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

A few years back I installed a set of LG Long Tube Headers on my 00 vert. Did it in the garage on a quick life with no issues. Fairly easy DIY project.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have contemplated doing this due to high labor cost. do any of you guys have the oil cooler adapter installed at the filter, and do the headers make access difficult or impossible to service/ tighten the AN fittings?
Iank (09-09-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Tech tip: use the LS1 F-body GM manifold gaskets instead of the Corvette versions as the round gaskets fit the header ports better.

Also couldn't hurt to change the front oxygen sensors instead of trying to fight the old ones off the old manifolds. Did you have the rear sensors tuned out or are you planning to run them? If you're going to run them look for the rear o2 sensor extension harnesses which you can get from Jegs or Summit. Don't forget a new catback (axle back) gaskets.
The starter wires are going to get their insulation heat cracked over time due to the longtubes. You may want to get some insulation from Jegs/Summit the same time.

The following 2 users liked this post by ~Josh:
BulldogHD (04-20-2017), Georgies (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 PM
BulldogHD
8th Gear

Because of my work schedule, I won't be able to finish this project until Saturday. So far, I have the car up on four jack stands. I have removed the stock mid section from the manifold to the rear axle. Surprisingly, all four O2 sensors came out easily. I removed the air pipe on the driver's side. I have unbolted the air pipe on the passenger side. There's no way I can reach behind the intake to remove that last bolt. So, I'm thinking about just cutting it off since I'm not going to reconnect it. The fuel rail cover will hide it once it's all back together. Any reason why I shouldn't do that?

I still have to remove the stock exhaust manifolds. Then I will start the installation of the long tubes. The ARH kit came with O2 sensor extensions and some nice round manifold gaskets.

Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply. I appreciate it!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

where did you purchase the headers from? did you ask for the gaskets and extentions, or did they just include them?
Thanks.

Anyone here have any experience with the pfadt headers?

http://store.afecontrol.com/afe-powe...e-c5-c6-97-13/
zzcop8 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 AM
BulldogHD
8th Gear

I ordered the ARH headers through CCA using their link right here in the forum. They had the best price with free shipping. I'm very happy with the purchase.

The O2 sensor extensions and gaskets were included. I did not have to request them.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

With a lift an air tools (how I did mine) it took under 2 hours and that included a trip to the parts store.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 AM
RIKKITIK
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

For me, it's not bad at all. Actually easier putting the headers (ARH) on, than it is taking the OE manifolds off (Cal smog...sigh ).
Good jack stands, +height is your friend, a lift is even better. I need about 17" minimum (rocker panel to floor).
I'll be 60 in July , if I can do it, YOU can do it
BulldogHD (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by BulldogHD
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading and learning from the forum for a while. But, this is my first post. I have a 2001 Z06 with 26K miles. It was totally stock when I bought it. I have replaced the stock air box with a Vararam. I replaced the stock shifter with an MGW flat stick shifter. And I sent the PCM to Doug for a mail in tune. I bought a set of ARH long tube headers from CCA. I enjoy working on my vehicles and I want to install the headers myself. I would like to hear from anyone that has actually done this. How much of a PIA was it? And, how did you lift and support the car high enough to work under it???

Thanks in advance,

Joe D.
There isn't anything overly difficult about installing LTH's on your Corvette. On a lift it will take a competent technician 4-5 hours for a proper install. And by proper I mean taking the right steps to line up the exhaust straight, strap tie wiring harnesses away from the exhaust, etc...

You need to jack up the car about 2.5 to 3 feet. Basically if you take 1 header and stand it up pointing to an 11 o'clock position, that's the clearance you need.

Drivers side slips up from the bottom and you need to jack the engine up a little. Passenger side slips down from the top.

The clamps that come with most kits are crap. Invest in 2.5" or 3" band style clamps, which ever diameter the pipes are. You'll save yourself a ton of time and aggravation.

I personally wouldn't want to attempt this without a lift. I just don't have the patience to do it on my back. Maybe you can check with a local Corvette club and see if anyone has a lift in their garage that you can rent.
BulldogHD (04-21-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:08 AM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Question, I assume I wont run into any problems if I don't remove the front tires? A small shop is going to let me use their ramp, but its a drive on.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to install long tube headers myself...

Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 AM
BulldogHD
8th Gear

Nope, I don't see any reason to remove the front wheels...good luck!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I did headers myself on a G8 GT & its a PITA. I bet its a much bigger PITA no a C5 corvette too....especially w/o a lift

After you install headers you will need to get tuned, & to get the absolute most out of them (which is what you should be shooting for after dropping a couple grand on your first "major" performance mod) you should get a custom dyno/street tune.

That being said - for the price that I could get ARH headers for - on sale @ a good price from a reputable vendor, along w/ all the little supporting hardware needed (gaskets, bolts, cooler plugs/wires, O2 extensions etc) + the cost of having the car re-tuned later after I installed on my own VS. the cost of purchasing them through my local speed shop & dyno tuner (I'm lucky to have a very reputable/good shop near me), paying for them to do the install & tune all at once, it came out to me saving just under $300

I would have GLADLY paid someone $300 to install the headers on my G8 GT.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM
BulldogHD
8th Gear

This project is finally finished! After taking a test drive, I am REALLY happy with the results. The increase in throttle response and acceleration is unbelievable. It even sounds better!

But, installing the headers on my back, under the car, with no air tools, was VERY difficult. The ARH long tubes fit perfectly and they went into place fairly easily. A lift and air tools would have made this much easier!

If you've been thinking about long tube headers, do it! The increased performance is definitely worth the effort!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Want to install long tube headers myself...