Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Just bought a Z. How to check on valvesprings, steering column bypass, + other items?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:55 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts
Default Just bought a Z. How to check on valvesprings, steering column bypass, + other items?

Hi all, just bought a new 02 Z (pics attached). Thanks so much to everyone on this forum for the knowledge I gathered on these machines during my hunt for one. The Z has had 8 previous owners, and the seller, while he took exceptional care of the car, was unfamiliar as to some of the C5Z's quirks and common failure points and whether they might have already been addressed by previous owners.

Besides pulling the valvecovers, any way to check if the valvesprings have been upgraded to the blue ones?

As for the steering column lock bypass, I see that there are a number of different devices for this, so probably doesn't make sense to dig around through wiring. How would I test whether the steering column lock is bypassed? If the steering wheel turns when the key is out, would that be telling me that the bypass was done?

Anything else I should check on the car as far as C5Z quirks/failure points that should be addressed?

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 05-03-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Glendows
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new ride!

The easiest way to check your springs is to remove the oil filler cap and shine a flash light in there. That's how I was able to check mine and was able to see that they needed to be replaced.

To check for the column lock bypass I suppose you could just try turning the steering wheel with the key out of the ignition and see if it locks. That's what I did with my car and when I found that it still locked I promptly ordered the LMC5 module. Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (05-03-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Hi all, just bought a new 02 Z (pics attached). Thanks so much to everyone on this forum for the knowledge I gathered on these machines during my hunt for one. The Z has had 8 previous owners, and the seller, while he took exceptional care of the car, was unfamiliar as to some of the C5Z's quirks and common failure points and whether they might have already been addressed by previous owners.

Besides pulling the valvecovers, any way to check if the valvesprings have been upgraded to the blue ones?

As for the steering column lock bypass, I see that there are a number of different devices for this, so probably doesn't make sense to dig around through wiring. How would I test whether the steering column lock is bypassed? If the steering wheel turns when the key is out, would that be telling me that the bypass was done?

Anything else I should check on the car as far as C5Z quirks/failure points that should be addressed?

Exactly what Glendows said......Congrats on the new ride....from the pics it looks like the 8 previous owners loved the car as much as you will.....
ArmchairArchitect (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Zeeb
Intermediate

The essentials for my '03 included: Valve spring replacement to blue stockers, bushing the rocker arms, sound deadening kit plus trunk partition, steering column kit, aux. input for the sound system, 1-4 skip shift elimination, armrest pads for the doors, venom mod (just adding a washer) for transmission shift detent, shifter minor cut-down and addition of a round shift ****, and an assist spring for the trunk lid. The above addresses most if not all of the reliability, convenience, and comfort issues with the c5 ZO6... IMHO
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeeb:
ArmchairArchitect (05-06-2017), JohnnyZee (05-17-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

It may be good to pull the valve covers off, to inspect everything. Very easy to do and doesn't require much time.

As for the bypass, another option is to pull the passenger kick panel and look at the BCM. If it has a wire pack connected to the BCM connectors and a black ground wire running to the bottom of the mounting surface, it has a LMC5. If it does not, would be a really good idea to go ahead and spend the few buck to get one - even if another bypass has been done. I have been the victim of the 2 mph fuel cutoff and that ain't fun!

Also, the trunk lid shocks can be found on ebay. I recently purchased a set - delivered to my door for about $10. Now when the truck latch is released, it is very easy to get your hand under the lid to raise it.

Have fun with the new Z. Looks like a very nice example.

Last edited by Andrew; 05-05-2017 at 03:35 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

This is what you are looking for to find the LMC5.

Pull passenger kick panel.

Then look for the tube with the wires and the ground wire on the bottom. Worth every penny!
ArmchairArchitect (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:34 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Glendows
Congrats on your new ride!

The easiest way to check your springs is to remove the oil filler cap and shine a flash light in there. That's how I was able to check mine and was able to see that they needed to be replaced.

To check for the column lock bypass I suppose you could just try turning the steering wheel with the key out of the ignition and see if it locks. That's what I did with my car and when I found that it still locked I promptly ordered the LMC5 module. Hope that helps!
I removed the oil filler cap and looked inside with a flashlight, but didn't see anything that was either yellow (original valvesprings) or blue (newer type), or anything that looked like a valvespring for that matter. I have a cheap Android endoscope...should I send that down there?

My steering wheel does lock when I turn it and the key is out of the ignition...I guess that means I need to do the bypass mod?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:29 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I removed the oil filler cap and looked inside with a flashlight, but didn't see anything that was either yellow (original valvesprings) or blue (newer type), or anything that looked like a valvespring for that matter. I have a cheap Android endoscope...should I send that down there?

My steering wheel does lock when I turn it and the key is out of the ignition...I guess that means I need to do the bypass mod?
I have one of those Ebay endesopes, it should work.
If your wheel locks buy an LMC5 from Compliance Parts, follow the provided written instructions (don't assume the YouTube video tells all, it doesn't).
Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 PM
vazo6
Intermediate

Now I may be crazy but in my mind. If my car is 15 years old and never needed the LCM5 whatever to bot let it lock does it really need it?

​​​​​​​
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM
CrackRox21Z06
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vazo6
Now I may be crazy but in my mind. If my car is 15 years old and never needed the LCM5 whatever to bot let it lock does it really need it?

​​​​​​​
I thought the same thing. After 14 years theres noway this thing can fail now.....and then it failed. I was very far from my house on a sunday night when it locked up on me. I suggest you address it now.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:16 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Look again...you need to be at an angle to see them.. try harder.

Last edited by Georgies; 05-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 PM
lamaro88
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vazo6

​​​​​​​
Yup definitely does need it. This problem happen to my 02 Zo6 last last year. Invest in the LMC5 for sure. Luckily I was home when it locked up haha.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:24 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

If your not taking the valve cover off you would need to take the filler assembly off to see the springs, not just the oil cap. Its a little tricky to get the filler assembly off without breaking it so be careful. Almost easier to just pull a valve cover, it's really a pretty simple job on these cars anyway once you remove the coil pack assembly.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:23 AM
gordy02corvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexerER
Exactly what Glendows said......Congrats on the new ride....from the pics it looks like the 8 previous owners loved the car as much as you will.....
lower this vette. Lowered mine. Appearance is ten fold.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Welp, I sent a cheap USB endoscope camera down my oil fill tube...looks like I have the stock yellow valvesprings:

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 05-22-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 PM
mpetty
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pax springs are what i got on my z. I think there is an argument whether or not to go with aftermarket springs

Last edited by mpetty; 05-22-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM
Potent68
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Welp, I sent a cheap USB endoscope camera down my oil fill tube...looks like I have the stock yellow valvesprings:

I did mine recently. In the link below I answered a few questions people had about part numbers and the tools I used.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-the-new.html

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a Z. How to check on valvesprings, steering column bypass, + other items?

Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

I picked up an 02 Z06 in Electric Blue on Friday. The first thing I did was read here about the common issues and fixes along with common mods.

I have on order a set of LS6 blue springs and new valve seals. I will use the TDC method to hold the valves up. I have used this method before and it works great. I have never really trusted using an air compressor to hold the valves up.

I also have ordered a skip shift delete, an LCM5 module, a new center console latch, a passenger door window switch, and some jacking pucks.

I also ordered a Hinson shifter.

I did a seats out cleaning of the interior this past weekend and the difference is night and day.

Great looking car in red. I am really enjoying mine.

Last edited by Spaceme1117; 05-23-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:23 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

buy a tick performance clutch master cylinder and be active on the clutch fluid changes.... one of the kryptonite's for these cars.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:03 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

You don't have to put in Blue Springs, what if you ever want to upgrade the cam? I added Lil John Motorsports '660 Springs with Ti Retainers and new bronze bushing Trunions to mine, next year I'll add a Cam and Long Tube Headers...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just bought a Z. How to check on valvesprings, steering column bypass, + other items?