Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Call me crazy, but.... anyone else prefer the c5z in stock ride height vs. lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
what are "the right shocks"?

if you mean replacing the entire suspension with coilovers, yes that helps considerably but they you have the problem of physically running into things on the street and getting stuck on speed bumps not to mention destroying the front lip

you also live in arizona. it's dry and flat. most of the rest of the country is not like that
Are you just looking for contrary crap to bring up now? First we tell you the correct suspension and being lower is better for performance and you fight us on it. Then when I say my car is lowered on bolts with proper length Bilsteins you assume I'm talking coilovers...

Then with coils you mention being low has some drivability issues with running into things. There's no pleasing you I guess.

I haven't run into a lower Z than mine in AZ and I get by just fine. Sure speed bumps are a challenge and I have to be careful around curbs etc, but damn it looks great and handles great. I didn't buy it to be convenient, I have 3 other cars for that. I bought it because it's a badass car for stupid little money that runs as strong as most performance cars built today.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:14 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
So you lowered your car the cheapest way and expect it to work? I've said several times you need the shocks to match. Get the right shocks and the car will be even better. The main reason for your issue is the shock travel was shortened with the factory unit. A new set is like $400 so don't be a cheap *** and expect it to work.

I take my slammed Z around some crazy corners at high speeds with C6 ZR1s not being able to get by me. Spend more than 10 minutes sorting out your suspension.
Ummmm....no I didn't lower the car the "cheapest" way, I lowered it the correct way according to GM factory engineers (watch the VHS tape that came w/ ya car buddy boy)

Oh....and I guess I better go ahead & replace my leaf springs in case anyone else calls me a cheap skate....the fact that I've swapped out inner/outer tie rods @ all 4 corners w/ OEM or Moog replacements, new F/R sway bars w/ poly bushings & moog or steingager 3 piece heimlinks along w/ swapping out the factory shocks for DRM Bilsteins??

bahahhaha
Old 06-21-2017, 06:38 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Are you just looking for contrary crap to bring up now? First we tell you the correct suspension and being lower is better for performance and you fight us on it. Then when I say my car is lowered on bolts with proper length Bilsteins you assume I'm talking coilovers...

Then with coils you mention being low has some drivability issues with running into things. There's no pleasing you I guess.

I haven't run into a lower Z than mine in AZ and I get by just fine. Sure speed bumps are a challenge and I have to be careful around curbs etc, but damn it looks great and handles great. I didn't buy it to be convenient, I have 3 other cars for that. I bought it because it's a badass car for stupid little money that runs as strong as most performance cars built today.
this is what happens when you are thinking of what you're going to say before you even consider what i has said

you miss my entire point and statement
Old 07-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Way to perpetuate the stereotype that nobody but old farts buy these things.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Way to perpetuate the stereotype that nobody but old farts buy these things.
and rednecks with an ego

not just old farts
Old 07-04-2017, 02:01 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
and rednecks with an ego

not just old farts
Meh, Camaros are for rednecks. I think you meant to allude to this guy.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I have both a C5Z that's lowered all the way on factory bolts that scrapes on nearly everything, and a C5Z I bought mostly for track use that I'm keeping at stock ride height. I like how the lowered one looks, but I like the practicality of the non-lowered car better. After thrashing the non-lowered car on the track, I found that it doesn't need lowering...it's fine as is. I had a buddy that complained half the day about how it looked like a 4x4 and I should lower it.

As well as that car performs as is, it's not needed whatsoever. If it gets lowered as a by-product of improving the handling with coil overs or something later...so be it. But I'm certainly not going out of my way to do something unnecessary.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 07-05-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:23 PM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lowered on Wcc lowering bolts
The following users liked this post:
Dark Sarcasm (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by c6speedjon
Lowered on Wcc lowering bolts
NICE! Do you got to any car shows or meets around IL? I live in Aurora.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 PM
stevemC5Z06
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lowered on stock bolts

Quick Reply: [Z06] Call me crazy, but.... anyone else prefer the c5z in stock ride height vs. lowered?