Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Call me crazy, but.... anyone else prefer the c5z in stock ride height vs. lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
not enough facepalms for this

a street car has to be setup with more travel as you have uneven surfaces everywhere and a lot of bumps to deal with. they could have molded the fenders lower ala BMW but you still need more travel. a track car has less travel and a much higher spring rate as you're dealing with much higher speeds, G forces and pressure on the suspension. comfort is some of it but performance is another. track cars are terrible on the street. too stiff. hit a bump and spin the car around. race cars that are setup to handle street like environments are called rally cars and they do have travel and some gap. a lot of public roads aren't far off a paved rally course. in fact a lot of paved rally courses ARE blocked off public roads

you can make a car look lowered but still have a good deal of travel. most exotic car makers do this. look at the history of the c1-c4 they all had fairly substantial gaps. some of this likely played in if their were old men on the design team wanting to keep the more classic appearance. lowered cars did not become mainstream until the fast & the furious days. which was about 2001.
You're talking in circles man and clearly you don't get it. You're agreeing that the C5 had to fit the masses and there's no way they designed that wheel gap on purpose other than they had to to fit ride height for every jamoke. I'll be he first to admit a lowered C5 takes more care to navigate but it's worth the looks. You can easily lower the car without affecting wheel travel which you clearly don't get.

The Viper is another car that looks better lowered properly.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:34 PM
detroit99sts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JET ninja : very nice stance.

Originally Posted by GTs 58
I agree that a lowered Z looks much better. For me the stock height is just fine and sometimes that's too low for everyday use. I'll keep mine stock and follow a lowered Z on the freeway that's sweeping up all the cigarette butts and trash ahead of me. If I did lower my Z, I'd honestly feel compelled to get a set of 13" chrome spoke wheels to finish off the slammed look.
I agree , some nice old school Dayton gold spokes with white wall vogue tires.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
GTs 58 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
You're talking in circles man and clearly you don't get it. You're agreeing that the C5 had to fit the masses and there's no way they designed that wheel gap on purpose other than they had to to fit ride height for every jamoke. I'll be he first to admit a lowered C5 takes more care to navigate but it's worth the looks. You can easily lower the car without affecting wheel travel which you clearly don't get.

i do get it. i've been around since the c5 was created. it's you who does not. if you were not around at the time you will never understand unless you listen to those who were. they could have easily reduced the fender gap and kept the same ride height. they didn't. it was not the "in" look at the time when this car was made. that wheel gap was designed on purpose . at the time the c5 was created you virtually never saw an elderly man in a lowered car. elderly are the #1 corvette buyers. the lowered crowd, again, at the time was all under 30 and most under 25, those are not new corvette buyers. fast forward to today where the lowered look is more widely accepted and we have the c7 that looks lowered stock. it still has the suspension travel but it visually looks lower to the eye. all gm would of had to do to make the c5 look lowered is change the fender arching and wheel offset just slightly. lowering the c5z now more than roughly 1/2" max just slows it down on the street unless you spend real money and time on a coilover package to maintain that travel and compliance.

Last edited by racebum; 05-18-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

i do get it. i've been around since the c5 was created. it's you who does not. if you were not around at the time you will never understand unless you listen to those who were. they could have easily reduced the fender gap and kept the same ride height. they didn't. it was not the "in" look at the time when this car was made. that wheel gap was designed on purpose . at the time the c5 was created you virtually never saw an elderly man in a lowered car. elderly are the #1 corvette buyers. the lowered crowd, again, at the time was all under 30 and most under 25, those are not new corvette buyers. fast forward to today where the lowered look is more widely accepted and we have the c7 that looks lowered stock. it still has the suspension travel but it visually looks lower to the eye. all gm would of had to do to make the c5 look lowered is change the fender arching and wheel offset just slightly. lowering the c5z now more than roughly 1/2" max just slows it down on the street unless you spend real money and time on a coilover package to maintain that travel and compliance.

Disagree, people were already lowering c4's before the c5 even came out.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Joe_Joe
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The real question everyone really wants answered is ... what is the best wax out there for my car?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:15 PM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

c5r was made for the track

c5z was made for the street

apples and oranges
I disagree. the c5z was designed to take from the showroom floor to the race track. that is why options were left off the z so it would be lighter for the track. no telescopic wheel, tpms, insulation, fog lights, and had lighter wheels and titanium exhaust
Old 05-18-2017, 03:37 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
Disagree, people were already lowering c4's before the c5 even came out.
what c4 came from the factory lowered?

the fact you say people is what my entire argument was. tuner cars were in their infancy.

lowered cars were not common. it was something a few people were doing

at the time, before z06 launched it was considered a risky departure as GM wasn't sure it would sell or work but they did know he z51 hardtop wasn't selling like they wanted it to

Last edited by racebum; 05-18-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got his point, it gets back to track vs. street. If you go lowering cars that are already low on the street, you're going to scrape a lot. Any possible handling benefits are going to be lost (and mostly not used anyway) because you're on public roads. Who the hell needs to be lowered for even more handling than a stock C5 already has? Lordy, I wonder how people handle the concept that most people in the US drive SUVs and trucks and some jack those up on top of it.

Race tracks are generally all smooth and have no potholes or uneven surfaces that really cause an issue with clearance. People jack up trucks and stuff to clear rocks and hills when off-roading. If you lower or lift a vehicle and never do anything but drive on public roads, it's functionally less than optimal. It's not illegal to do so, but I see so many mall ninja trucks and Jeeps with huge lifts on them that look spotless. I don't see lowered Vettes so much, but it's the same thing just the other direction. Next comes the huge C5R wing to give more downforce for all that expressway driving...then a rear diffuser. I'm not saying it isn't cool, but outside of a track it doesn't make much practical sense.

I saw a guy driving a built S10 with some nasty sounding cammed V8 and rear tires that looked like they were 335 or 345s. You can street drive a drag car, but it has some notable downsides if you're not using it as intended (drag races).

Last edited by BigBossMY03Z; 05-18-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

i do get it. i've been around since the c5 was created. it's you who does not. if you were not around at the time you will never understand unless you listen to those who were. they could have easily reduced the fender gap and kept the same ride height. they didn't. it was not the "in" look at the time when this car was made.
First, I'm the 10 year member here while you're not. My C5 was on the cover of Corvette Magazine in 2009 while I'll bet yours was not ever. You couldn't have the same design with wheel gap removed, it would be an entirely different car/look. Go ahead and photoshop it and prove me wrong.

Also your arguments of "in looks" doesn't even hold water because a lot of things were "in" during the 90s and we can agree they were bad looks, just like the 4x4 C5.

Ergo, it looks bad regardless and looks better lower.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 PM
racebum
Race Director

First, I'm the 10 year member here while you're not. My C5 was on the cover of Corvette Magazine in 2009 while I'll bet yours was not ever. You couldn't have the same design with wheel gap removed, it would be an entirely different car/look. Go ahead and photoshop it and prove me wrong.

Also your arguments of "in looks" doesn't even hold water because a lot of things were "in" during the 90s and we can agree they were bad looks, just like the 4x4 C5.

Ergo, it looks bad regardless and looks better lower.
not really into arguing on the internet. if you want to play mr ego by all means...continue...

you don't get it. you're not going to get it. i'm not trying anymore

Last edited by racebum; 05-18-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 AM
ZEEZERO-6
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

Drewstein I hope you find the courage to ask yourself out on a date you make a great couple !

The reason the Vette is set at the height it is from the factory is so that a new owner would be able to put a set of chains on it if drove in the winter. The optimal geometry for the suspension is one 1" lower than factory for tracking anything lower than that defeats performance.
racebum (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:05 AM
jattz06
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

I prefer the lowered look.. can't beat the look. Much easier driving at stock ride height but I prefer my car lowered
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM
Joe_Joe
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Since you asked ... you're CRAZY

IMHO nothing looks better than a nice lowered Z.

Then ...

... and now

JETZ (05-28-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:54 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_Joe

Then ...

... and now

Although a slightly lowered car looks nice, this is visually too low for my taste (and daily drivability). Also... just jabbing fun at you, but this reminds me of a before and after ad:
"Here is Jenny after using XX pills"; in the meantime she's now wearing make-up (tinted windows), did her hair and has nice clothes on (new wheels, rubber), and is smiling instead of looking like shes posing for a mug shot (sunny out, wheels turned in)...
Joe_Joe (05-25-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

lowered cars did not become mainstream until the fast & the furious days. which was about 2001.
Not sure what you mean by mainstream, but lowering cars has been a common practice in the aftermarket world since the early days of hot rodding. Lowriders started in the 50's, disco vans in the 70s, Mini trucks in the 80's, etc.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:42 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

frank

Originally Posted by Joe_Joe

... and now

Last edited by JETZ; 05-28-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Joe_Joe (05-30-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 05:49 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
Not sure what you mean by mainstream, but lowering cars has been a common practice in the aftermarket world since the early days of hot rodding. Lowriders started in the 50's, disco vans in the 70s, Mini trucks in the 80's, etc.
you are talking about sect crowds. this is true. mainstream is OEM

car manufacturers were not selling lowered cars on dealership floors

they are now

many of you guys seem to base everything on aftermarket or your own feelings and that's just not how dealerships and car manufacturers were in 2001. it was extremely rare to see 60yr olds driving lowered cars back then. now it's common. that age bracket is your prime corvette buyer

Last edited by racebum; 05-28-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Call me crazy, but.... anyone else prefer the c5z in stock ride height vs. lowered?

Old 05-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

I'm sorry. I'm confused. Manufacturers are selling lowered cars? Who? What models? They take a regular production car and lower it before selling it? I haven't seen this.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

I thought when one talked about lowering a car, it was only aftermarket. I was unaware the manufacturers were lowering cars on dealership floors in the mainstream.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
I thought when one talked about lowering a car, it was only aftermarket. I was unaware the manufacturers were lowering cars on dealership floors in the mainstream.
ride height in relation to fender is lower now than it has ever been. a stock c7 z06 is lower off the showroom floor than many "lowered" cars were back in the day and shares a similar tire to fender gap as what guys shoot for when lowering their c5s aftermarket

like you're attempting sarcasm on something very simple that still isn't clicking for some reason.

Last edited by racebum; 05-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Call me crazy, but.... anyone else prefer the c5z in stock ride height vs. lowered?