Sponsored by:

[Z06] How to remove oil fill neck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:09 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How to remove oil fill neck?

I want to see what color are my valve springs are. How does the oil fill neck come out? Just pull/pry up or does it twist out? I don't want to break it.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

You have to remove the valve cover and pull on a tab from the inside with a pick. It's a pain in the *** and most likely wont cooperate. A new neck costs $7.50 from NAPA. When I needed to remove it once for polishing I used a ******* hammer. Then twisted on a new neck afterwards.

If you want to check your valve springs you'll be removing your valve cover regardless.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 AM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
When I needed to remove it once for polishing I used a ******* hammer.
Haha, Ive been there before!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:49 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ~Josh
You have to remove the valve cover and pull on a tab from the inside with a pick. It's a pain in the *** and most likely wont cooperate. A new neck costs $7.50 from NAPA. When I needed to remove it once for polishing I used a ******* hammer. Then twisted on a new neck afterwards.

If you want to check your valve springs you'll be removing your valve cover regardless.
I've read you can see one of the springs if the filler neck is removed. I took the plastic valve cover off and I think I saw that tab. I couldn't get it with a small screwdriver.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I tried and tried and tried, but couldn't get the damn thing off. Even with a pick set with a crazy 2 bend tip I couldn't coerce the tab to unclick itself.
If you've got a scope with a light on it that would help. But I found it easiest to just take the whole damn valve cover off and check them all. You can literally take it off in under 5 minutes. Might seem like a lot but it really isn't. Just unscrew the coil plate and then you're about 4 bolts away from getting the valve cover off.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acid666
I tried and tried and tried, but couldn't get the damn thing off. Even with a pick set with a crazy 2 bend tip I couldn't coerce the tab to unclick itself.
If you've got a scope with a light on it that would help. But I found it easiest to just take the whole damn valve cover off and check them all. You can literally take it off in under 5 minutes. Might seem like a lot but it really isn't. Just unscrew the coil plate and then you're about 4 bolts away from getting the valve cover off.
Do you need a new valve cover gasket when you take the cover off and put it back on?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I've had mine on and off a few times and never replaced the original VC gaskets and never had any issues. They are an O-ring style, they are easily reused unlike the old school sbc gaskets.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove oil fill neck?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to remove oil fill neck?