Sponsored by:

[Z06] Mini Spare for C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 11:36 AM
My2002Z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Spare for C5 Z06?

Does anyone know which make model and year of car I could get a mini spare from that would fit my C5 Z06 on the front and rear? I figure if I turn off traction and stability control I could run with a mini spare at low speeds for short distances just to get the car home or to a safe place when I have a flat tire. I did see that some company makes a nice package for this but at around $400 seems like over kill. If I knew that that the mini spare from a 2004 Buick LeSabre would fit I could probably get one of those for $20.

Thanks, Mike
Old 05-21-2017, 01:21 PM
albertw
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The compact spare from the Pontiac GTO (the second version sold for a few years in the 90's, I think) fits, sort of. The centre hole is a bit small and needs to be filed or Dremeled out by a few thou, and the fit to the bolts isn't perfect. The bolts (studs, lugs . . . I forget the right term) wind up being very slightly bent when tightened down, but the consensus on the forums when this came up a dozen years ago was that it would be OK for short distances at low speeds.

I don't think the mechanical limited slip differential would work well with appreciably different diameters for the rear wheels. If I get a flat in a rear tire, my plan is to put the fronts on the back and the good rear and the spare on the front. That's a lot of work to do at the side of the road, but where I do my driving for entertainment there is no cell coverage and the nearest tow service can be hours away, so it's an option to avoid spending the night at the side of the road.
The following users liked this post:
My2002Z06 (05-21-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mini Spare for C5 Z06?