Sponsored by:

[Z06] 408ci Broken c5z axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:04 PM
c5zJoe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408ci Broken c5z axle

Went to the track for the first time with my 408ci c5z that I recently purchased. First pass I spun like crazy. Second pass I slipped the clutch a tad too much. 3rd try SNAP, broke the outer cv I think. The car is also on a 28'' nt05r (i think the radial might be the problem, not as forgiving as a slick) and has a RPM built trans and diff. So do I purchase another oem c5z axle and buy a 16'' rear ccw set up or buy DSS 1000hp axle kit. Then buy ccw drag pack later on. both options will be around same price.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I would do the c5z axle over the stronger ones, I would much rather have the axle be the weak link since their easier to replace than the diff and the ccw's with a bias ply would be easier on it also
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by c5zJoe
Went to the track for the first time with my 408ci c5z that I recently purchased. First pass I spun like crazy. Second pass I slipped the clutch a tad too much. 3rd try SNAP, broke the outer cv I think. The car is also on a 28'' nt05r (i think the radial might be the problem, not as forgiving as a slick) and has a RPM built trans and diff. So do I purchase another oem c5z axle and buy a 16'' rear ccw set up or buy DSS 1000hp axle kit. Then buy ccw drag pack later on. both options will be around same price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5PRtxNYOQY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGN9LC6-914
Been there, done that!

Contact Jeremy from RPM, he'll set you in the best-bang-for-the-buck option. He can also source GM parts as well, so he might be able to save you some $
Old 05-24-2017, 03:28 PM
c5zJoe
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 493lszosix
I would do the c5z axle over the stronger ones, I would much rather have the axle be the weak link since their easier to replace than the diff and the ccw's with a bias ply would be easier on it also
Even with an Rpm Stage 4 diff? I know anything can happen. I keep going back and forth on this haha. I would think the diff would hold up to my power level. Maybe it was a freak thing snapping the axle, I was told they been 8.70s.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:51 PM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Normally the C5Z06 axles work very well. Ive had quite a few customers go really fast with stick shift cars on them. But I'll be honest. The only time I ever broke my C5 at the drag strip I was on a drag radial. Once I switched to a bias ply all my breakage went away.

What rear gear is in the car now? A 28" tall tires puts a lot of stress on the driveline.

This is the first clean pass with my 430ci LS7 in the car. It ended up going 10.3X@138mph.

This is with the heads/cam LS6.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:06 PM
c5zJoe
4th Gear

The car came with the 28 when I bought it, I was told it had a 4.10 in it. It does seem like I have to shift into 4th 100-150 feet before the finish. But its hard to tell since i did not get a clean pass in.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:12 PM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

The car would perform much better with a 26" bias ply on it.
The following users liked this post:
c5zJoe (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 04:27 PM
c5zJoe
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
The car would perform much better with a 26" bias ply on it.
I think I will just buy another oem c5z axle and do a 16" bias ply set up and see what happens would hate to break again at the track since I don't always have the option to trailer the car. I also have a MSD 2 step laying around from my old car. When you launch on the slick do you do a fast controlled release? basically slip it just a little? Thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by c5zJoe
I think I will just buy another oem c5z axle and do a 16" bias ply set up and see what happens would hate to break again at the track since I don't always have the option to trailer the car. I also have a MSD 2 step laying around from my old car. When you launch on the slick do you do a fast controlled release? basically slip it just a little? Thanks!
No problem. That would be what I would do as well. The bias ply will be much more forgiving. Just make sure you get your CV axle from GM! Not a parts store. The parts store axles are garbage. I just had a customer put a set in his auto swapped C6 Z06 and one failed with 1.5 60ft times.

As for the launch method I would drive the car into the pre-stage beams, then bring the rpm up to my desired launch rpm. Then I would slowly release the clutch till the car starts to creep into the stage beams. Then I would press the clutch just enough to get the car to stop rolling. Then I would release the clutch quickly but allowing my foot to stay on the pedal while applying throttle. This prevented shocking the driveline and achived low 1.4 60ft times.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:13 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Jeremy has some good advice here.

Stick cars and radials don't play well together.

A 26" bias tire would very likely work better for you, but you should really run with skinnys up front if you have a bias tire in the back.

As far as axles go, I've been 1.27 to the 60' on an OEM axle. I know others have been 1.20.

Sometimes you can find them used on here, or at a salvage yard vs buying new from GM.

I carry an extra one to the track just in case. Less than 45 minutes to change out vs repairing a diff.

Best of success to you!
The following users liked this post:
Jeremy@RPMTransmissions (05-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 408ci Broken c5z axle

Quick Reply: [Z06] 408ci Broken c5z axle