Sponsored by:

[Z06] Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6comm2679
i just went to the dealership and ordered springs, seals and valve cover gaskets today. I'm going to look into a valve spring tool and a spark plug hole air hose adapter next.

I need to to build myself a workbench for the garage before I tear into it though...
dont need a work bench to hold springs bro, you way over thinking it with that tool you can swap out the springs really easy probably 2 hours (more if you never messed with LSx heads) watch some video's on how guys are doing it that will help you out a lot

something to think about since you'll have it a part is the valve seals stocks are known to leak

Old 07-07-2017, 08:29 PM
ZO6comm2679
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
dont need a work bench to hold springs bro, you way over thinking it with that tool you can swap out the springs really easy probably 2 hours (more if you never messed with LSx heads) watch some video's on how guys are doing it that will help you out a lot

something to think about since you'll have it a part is the valve seals stocks are known to leak

I've been meaning to build myself a bench for a while now and it's just something I want to get done before I take anything apart on the car. I suffer from mild OCD lol. I'd like a nice flat space (not the floor) to lay the rockers out on in order so they can go back in their correct positions.

As as far as the seals leaking, what exactly are you referring to? I ordered some new seals from GM and plan on replacing them.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

valve stem seals since the springs are being swapped

you dont pull every thing a part at once, just 2 at a time and to help with the ocd get a sharpy and mark every second rocker that way you dont get them mixed up

some times on CL you can fine a commercial grade bench pretty cheap
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 PM
ZO6comm2679
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
valve stem seals since the springs are being swapped

you dont pull every thing a part at once, just 2 at a time and to help with the ocd get a sharpy and mark every second rocker that way you dont get them mixed up

some times on CL you can fine a commercial grade bench pretty cheap
Thanks for the tips man!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6comm2679
i just went to the dealership and ordered springs, seals and valve cover gaskets today. I'm going to look into a valve spring tool and a spark plug hole air hose adapter next.

I need to to build myself a workbench for the garage before I tear into it though...that way it all stays organized. I have a small pancake style air compressor that I use for tire inflation...I'm assuming that will be plenty to keep my valves from dropping. I'll have to check my service manual and see what psi is required.
I like using the TDC method for preventing the valves from dropping. You basically bring the piston up to TDC and the verify it is all the way up by sticking a short (7 to 8 inches) wooden dowel in the spark pug hole. Look here on LS1howto.com: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23#part3

This way is safer as you use the piston itself to stop the valves from dropping.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Springs