Sponsored by:

[Z06] Transmission vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission vibration issue

Ever since I had my clutch done there's been vibration from the transmission. I was told I needed to have my aftermarket flywheel balanced the same way my stock one was but every machine shop says it's impossible. Any advice?? I live in the Houston area
Old 07-11-2017, 02:29 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax03z06
Ever since I had my clutch done there's been vibration from the transmission. I was told I needed to have my aftermarket flywheel balanced the same way my stock one was but every machine shop says it's impossible. Any advice?? I live in the Houston area
I feel your pain. Last week at McDonald's, I tried giving the cashier 15 cents extra so I could get back a whole dollar amount of change. She hadn't punched it in the computer that way and already had different change in hand. Told me she couldn't do it, it was "impossible". Man, was I disappointed. Here I thought it was just basic math, guess I was wrong.

So what did you actually get done? Got your clutch changed. Straight out of the box, any "balancing", new flywheel and pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, any other new parts, what did you have done?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thbwlZ
I feel your pain. Last week at McDonald's, I tried giving the cashier 15 cents extra so I could get back a whole dollar amount of change. She hadn't punched it in the computer that way and already had different change in hand. Told me she couldn't do it, it was "impossible". Man, was I disappointed. Here I thought it was just basic math, guess I was wrong.

So what did you actually get done? Got your clutch changed. Straight out of the box, any "balancing", new flywheel and pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, any other new parts, what did you have done?
Sorry about your change lol. I sent my clutch and flywheel along with my factory clutch/wheel to monster clutch co. They've told me they can balance it properly so we will see.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:19 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry about your change lol. I sent my clutch and flywheel along with my factory clutch/wheel to monster clutch co. They've told me they can balance it properly so we will see.
That's very good. Monster understands the balance issues. That's great they are offering to match your original setup. Hopefully that takes care of it. If it doesn't, then something else is going on.

Having a machine shop tell you match balancing is "impossible" is like a cashier saying it's impossible to make change in any other manner other than what the magic computer tells them. They know how to push buttons, but they don't understand the math behind it. Maybe Monster just knows how to do the impossible!

Good luck, I think you are on the right path.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 AM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thbwlZ
That's very good. Monster understands the balance issues. That's great they are offering to match your original setup. Hopefully that takes care of it. If it doesn't, then something else is going on.

Having a machine shop tell you match balancing is "impossible" is like a cashier saying it's impossible to make change in any other manner other than what the magic computer tells them. They know how to push buttons, but they don't understand the math behind it. Maybe Monster just knows how to do the impossible!

Good luck, I think you are on the right path.
I really do hope so. I'll update you when I get everything back together.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

I really do hope so. I'll update you when I get everything back together.
well turns out both my stock and aftermarket flywheel are zero balanced so I tried the engine mounts and they still didn't work.

Has anyone had the harmonic balancer cause a vibration??
Old 07-26-2017, 09:43 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Is that balanced as an assembly with clutch disk and pressure plate? Or just the flywheels?
Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oneandgone
Is that balanced as an assembly with clutch disk and pressure plate? Or just the flywheels?
just the flywheel and pressure plate.

Last edited by Jax03z06; 07-27-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

After typing that I had a duh moment about the clutch disk part. lol

I have read about people with vibrations after dampener replacement. The service manual actually states something like if the factory balancer has been weighted that the new one must be weighted to match.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oneandgone
After typing that I had a duh moment about the clutch disk part. lol

I have read about people with vibrations after dampener replacement. The service manual actually states something like if the factory balancer has been weighted that the new one must be weighted to match.
Well my balancer has never been replaced. If a balancer is worn could it cause a vibration???
Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 PM
oneandgone
Burning Brakes

Possibly. Apparently the GM balancers are known for going bad and actually coming apart. I guess they can separate and either go forward into the rack or backward into the timing cover. I've read that you can sometimes see them wobble when the engine is running. Everyone says to run the Powerbond balancer or a performance aftermarket unit over the GM replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission vibration issue

Quick Reply: [Z06] Transmission vibration issue