Old 07-23-2017, 07:48 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
you're going to regret those F1's

wait about 18 months

then see what you think of the traction.

i'm not sure i've ever came across a tire that falls off so fast age wise with very few heat cycles
18 months?
Ha!

At the rate I'm tracking the car they won't last the season...

I did a quick looksie of other tire options and don't see much with some of the online dealers anyway. Any recommendations for a better lapping tire set?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC3
18 months?
Ha!

At the rate I'm tracking the car they won't last the season...

I did a quick looksie of other tire options and don't see much with some of the online dealers anyway. Any recommendations for a better lapping tire set?
in 295 / 265 your options are really limited. you can run the R888 in 305 35 18 and 275 40 17

the toyo t1s in 295/265 but it's a street tire. the f1 supercar is pretty decent as long as you replace them annually. problem is it's expensive to do that compared to more modern and better tires

how much grip do you need anyway? are you still on stock suspension?

you may wind up buying different wheels just to fit modern tires.

the top autocross tires from last year are here

http://www.autocross.us/forums/topic...ires-for-2016/
Old 07-24-2017, 05:13 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the feedback. Still stock everything. I know one can get carried away with mods to the car for the track. Do I need grippier tires? No. I'm actually having fun sliding in the corners. I'll consider new wheels/tires in the fall for next season. I'll have more experience then and will have a better handle on how far I want to take the track fun.

But I notice the engine approaching red line for heat build up, and the clutch pedal not returning really needs attention before anything else. Any recommendations for aditional cooling and clutch bleed mods?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:00 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC3
Thanks for the feedback. Still stock everything. I know one can get carried away with mods to the car for the track. Do I need grippier tires? No. I'm actually having fun sliding in the corners. I'll consider new wheels/tires in the fall for next season. I'll have more experience then and will have a better handle on how far I want to take the track fun.

But I notice the engine approaching red line for heat build up, and the clutch pedal not returning really needs attention before anything else. Any recommendations for aditional cooling and clutch bleed mods?
dewitts radiator and or becool

clutch is an ongoing issue. bleed it annually and or just suck out the fluid in the reservoir once it has been bled after every event. the self adjusting clutches are the bane of actual racing conditions
The following users liked this post:
PeterC3 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Chasing your wife around the racetrack in her c7 corvette? Is she single?

just kidding, enjoy the car!
Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 AM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Chasing your wife around the racetrack in her c7 corvette? Is she single?

just kidding, enjoy the car!
Sorry, she's very taken... :-)
And I do count my blessings - two corvettes a C3 and a C5 and lady that doesn't mind - not necessarily in that order.. :-)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Just my 2 cents on tires, I'v been on the Conti DW's. First set I chose the 275s for fronts, didn't like the turn-in response or road feel, but they did last, gave a good ride and less road noise. (DW's in general) Second set I went to the 255 for the front. That gave the ar much better balance feel, better turn-in on track, and all the listed above road use advantages. Yes they are not the most stick, but on a stock Z they just work.

Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] I wanted a Ferrari 348