Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:58 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Krystal
Honestly? I wouldn't want either in this two car choice.

The new Mustang is dull as dish-water......and unfortunately the C5 is the new C4 to me.
thankfully the c4 is an awesome car.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:30 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 48 Posts

Honestly? I wouldn't want either in this two car choice.

The new Mustang is dull as dish-water......and unfortunately the C5 is the new C4 to me.
Really? You wouldn't have this 500+HP LS3 C5? Yeah, it's old. 1998. At least the windows and paint are.
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan

If I read one more of your posts I think you will be my first entry to the ignore list.
Please do......it's not my intention to offend you but I also won't change my posting to suit your thin skin......

...you probably should put me on ignore....

....I won't lose any sleep over it and you shouldn't either.
The following users liked this post:
ztheusa (11-19-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by BLUICIDE
Really? You wouldn't have this 500+HP LS3 C5? Yeah, it's old. 1998. At least the windows and paint are.
Honestly? I like your car....... it's still a good looking Corvette and I'm sure you've managed to make a lot of it.

It's just not a car I'm terribly interested in......too many of them everywhere I go.....most not nearly as nice as yours.

I realize I'm ruffling feathers in this part of the forum. Sorry about that.......it's a thread about performance and it morphed into a discussion about styling preferences.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
thankfully the c4 is an awesome car.
Everyone's favaorite is an "AWESOME CAR"........ god forbid our taste in them was exactly the same.

What a dull world that would be. We'd all be driving the same car.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Please do......it's not my intention to offend you but I also won't change my posting to suit your thin skin......

...you probably should put me on ignore....

....I won't lose any sleep over it and you shouldn't either.
It's just that your posts are so stupid they really aren't worth the bandwidth that I don't even pay for.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by grantv
You don't like (own?) a C5? I could never bother posting on the site if I weren't owning or wanting to own...
The title was talking about the latest Mustang performance vs an older Corvette bench mark.

That caught my eye in the "recent posts" search.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
It's just that your posts are so stupid they really aren't worth the bandwidth that I don't even pay for.
....and yet you still seem compelled to reply rather than just ignore?

Go ahead just do it.....you'll feel better.....life's too short to get your panties in such a bunch over this. It's not worth it.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:39 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Everyone's favaorite is an "AWESOME CAR"........ god forbid our taste in them was exactly the same.

What a dull world that would be. We'd all be driving the same car.
its definitely not my favorite, but you would have to be stupid not to see that it's worlds better than a c3, and worlds faster than most cars of its era.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Krystal
Race Director

its definitely not my favorite, but you would have to be stupid not to see that it's worlds better than a c3, and worlds faster than most cars of its era.
I wouldn't agree with that statement concerning the C4 but I would with the C5 and newer Corvettes for sure......early C4 performance and build quality was pretty bad it didn't get really get going until the 1990s......but that's not too surprising.... technology is always moving forward.

The C1, C2 and C3 have one enduring advantage though....these are all easy cars to do just about anything you want with......these cars are incredibly popular and a wide open platform to work with. You will contend with the build quality issues.....but you can fix a lot of that and the body styles are classic Corvette that ensures their place in the world and explains why they're still so very popular.

Ultimately, original, as delivered, performance is a loser for the long haul in any car. To keep up you're going to have to add performance but then you will run afoul of the "purist" looking to maintain the originality and the expense can certainly start to become prohibitive vs the value of the car you're working with.

It's just my opinion but to become a classic and in demand cars have to bring more to the table to interest future owners than just objectively measurable performance.

The C5 may be one of these cars eventually but for now they are still too "modern"..............check back in 20 years we'll have a better idea of how that looks like it's working out. It hasn't gone especially well for the C4. I think all modern era Corvettes face an uphill challenge for the long haul the older Corvettes don't. Cars in general just have so many MORE systems and parts that will be very difficult to keep going in an era when parts availability is very likely to become an increasingly expensive and difficult problem.

To keep them going......the older pre-computer era cars have more in common with the lawn mower in my tool shed than they do with the latest Corvettes or even just everyday modern cars. Makes modern performance near impossible to match in terms of "go" and Mpg.......but as a week end cruiser most of that doesn't matter much if when you aren't driving it daily.

I own a C3 that has done mid-12 second quarter mile runs........it handles a whole lot better than when new on a completely revised suspension that is now transverse fiberglass, front and back, and a nod to modern wheels and tires ......but ultimately the car is a BUCKET OF BOLTS vs the build quality of today and gas mileage I achieve with the Holley carb fed 383 is abysmal.

The hook though? Classic body styling and out right ease of keeping the car running. In comparison to a late model car it's a primitive experience for sure.......but there is appeal in the simplicity that makes it easy to own for those Sunny drives on the weekend each summer.

IMO....for the C5 to get the same place when it's as old as the C3 ......... parts at a reasonable cost have to be readily available and it's body style will have to be deemed by future owners and buyers as more appealing than the C4 for sure.

Last edited by Krystal; 11-20-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:16 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

I smell rice burning. Anyone else? Could be the Been wrong before, but, never that right.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

I smell rice burning. Anyone else? Could be the Been wrong before, but, never that right.
Uhhh, a C5 is as old as a C3? Try again, and see if you can be factual.

"IMO....for the C5 to get the same place when it's as old as the C3 ........."

WHUT?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Uhhh, a C5 is as old as a C3? Try again, and see if you can be factual.

"IMO....for the C5 to get the same place when it's as old as the C3 ........."

WHUT?
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.....though it's pretty obvious you're being deliberately obtuse.

When the newest C5 is old enough that we no longer see it as just another used car on the road......we'll have a better idea of how well it held up as a potential "classic" Corvette. Given the fact that the oldest C5 is 15 years newer than the last C3 to roll off a Chevy production line....... and a full 3 decades newer than the oldest C3s......we just don't know yet how it'll stand up in terms of demand from a classic car perspective.

I personally believe, most late model cars, will be challenged by the complexity of all that they have built into them. It'll make them far more difficult to keep running over time when the suppliers no longer provide the parts you'll need. Think about all the systems in your C5 and great many layers of suppliers who were part of the manufacturing.......what you get is a better new car than cars from Pre-computer era..........but it's also a car with a CRAP LOAD more to go wrong and future owner/restorers will have to repair and replace over time that may be difficult to justify or even acquire.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (12-23-2018)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 AM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people actually prefer a cars look over the other, Has nothing to do with price. I like performance just like the other guy but at the end of the day, it's always the way the car looks that wins me over. If I could have gotten an allocation for the GT it's a no brainer. It's beautiful! I don't own a corvette but this Mid Engine could be the one that wins me over.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by conceptmachine
Some people actually prefer a cars look over the other, Has nothing to do with price. I like performance just like the other guy but at the end of the day, it's always the way the car looks that wins me over. If I could have gotten an allocation for the GT it's a no brainer. It's beautiful! I don't own a corvette but this Mid Engine could be the one that wins me over.

Why are there so many non corvette owners on this forum? When I sold my BMW, I left that forum. Same for my Cadillac. I never saw any benefit from going to those forums again.

Shakey
Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Why are there so many non corvette owners on this forum? When I sold my BMW, I left that forum. Same for my Cadillac. I never saw any benefit from going to those forums again.

Shakey
Was just gonna post the same question, seems lately more and more posters here who don't even own (or intend to for that matter!?) a C5. Moved from BMW to my Z, no more BMW posts for me. Heck, i dont even get the grampi guy whos posted 1000+ times, who eventually will (supposedly) buy one.
I do not get it.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:15 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Back on subject guys. I'm the OP and the point of this post was that FINALLY the Mustang GT will go as fast as a 15 year old Z06. LOL However I just saw the Lightning Blue 2017 Mustang GT with the perf pkg and it is beautiful and badass looking!

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z

Old 12-02-2017, 11:35 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I think I would rather sell my car and walk everywhere than own an automatic.
Fixed. I like driving my car, not riding in it.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:00 AM
CoachPaul
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looks Great

Your car looks great. I have a C5 in Electron Blue also. How and how much did you lower it. I hate the 4" gap between the top of the tires and the fender well,

Coach
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by WannaC5Z
Back on subject guys. I'm the OP and the point of this post was that FINALLY the Mustang GT will go as fast as a 15 year old Z06. LOL However I just saw the Lightning Blue 2017 Mustang GT with the perf pkg and it is beautiful and badass looking!
0 to 60 means very little in the context of all around performance. Compare Nurburgring lap times and then get back to us.

Let's just put this tired old thread to bed already.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z