Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I actually considered a 2 year old 5.0 when I bought my z06. I did really like how it drove, but it was nothing compared the c5z. Sadly, I still think I would rather a terminator than a new mustang GT
Agreed, I wouldn’t mind a Cobra, my buddy has one and I dig it BUT after owning my C5Z and modding it, I just appreciate it much more how badass these cars are and were when they 1st came out. Mustang is doing good in their own right but it’s true regarding their main competitor is the Camaro/Challenger crowd.

What does Ford make that’s in the Corvette competition realm? Is the GT made anymore?

Old 12-22-2018, 07:16 AM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
What does Ford make that’s in the Corvette competition realm? Is the GT made anymore?
They started making the Ford GT again in 2017. Cool car, but way over priced. It held the lap record at VIR five about a week before the new ZR1 beat it. (At 1/4 the price) Guess it needs some bigger turbos on that EcoBoost.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1
They started making the Ford GT again in 2017. Cool car, but way over priced. It held the lap record at VIR five about a week before the new ZR1 beat it. (At 1/4 the price) Guess it needs some bigger turbos on that EcoBoost.
Interesting but true, I went to go look it up. I read some of the butt-hurt comments on YouTube from FordNation when the ZR1 beat the record lol
Old 12-23-2018, 03:09 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
i don't think I would choose a 75 corvette with 100,000 miles over a Ford probe.
Can't remember the last time I saw a Ford Probe. I remember they sold well for several years, but here in southwest Florida there are zero, none at all, even in the many car groups here. On the other had, there are a decent number of C3 Corvettes here. I have to assume virtually all Probes are in the junkyard.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:42 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Krystal
EXACTLY!!!

We own a 2014 Mustang GT......I rarely drive it...... but I will admit that it's more fun to "row the gears" in a car with a red line over 7,000 RPM.... but to take advantage the car really does have to be a standard shift with three pedals on the floor.

In a Automatic transmission car.......clearly the priority GM's designs put on more low end torque is the winner and if a high tech modern automatic transmission is make the gear changes for me.......what do I care where the shift points are......I'm just riding along with a foot to the floor......probably faster too........but not having nearly as much fun or immersed in the experience of ....." DRIVING!!"

In the end...... i like to DRIVE and the world doesn't happen just 1/4 mile of straight away at a time.

Ford's approach to making power today is more appealing to me.

We should all try to enjoy while it lasts regardless of preference between low end grunt or top end RPM priorities.......the future is here and it looks pretty inevitable at this point. Electric is faster and far more efficient.......once the cost curve has been bent down-ward far enough and the infrastructure to charge is in place........it's over for gasoline powered cars as we know them today anyway.
Electric may be faster and more efficient, but I want that fabulous aftermarket exhaust V-8 sound. I have almost no desire to own an electric car, though I do admire the looks of the old Fisker Karma and the new Karma Revero.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:23 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It's hard to believe this thread has been going on for around two years. I suspect it will go on close to eternity and that's probably a good thing. I am currently searching for my last "sport car" and I have to say it's a very difficult decision. With my current income and exceptional credit rating I could buy most brand new vehicles on the market. I would buy a new Mustang Bullitt if it weren't over $53k (I had an 08 Bullitt), so that's out. I have been looking seriously at the latest model Camaro SSes (but I had one of those in 16), I've owned 7 Corvettes, 5 Camaros, 5 Mustangs a bunch of BMWs and even a 1968 Dodge Charger RT 440 and a 66 Chevelle SS. So, as a senior citizen who has owned nearly 80 cars in my lifetime, what am I looking at most favorably?...a C5Z. For me, the C5Z embodies the best of all the years of fast, beautiful and affordable performance cars and you can find many still under 10k miles. I've kind of narrowed my search down to 3 C5s, but I'm most impressed with the very special Z16. I have to wait a few weeks yet to finalize my finance issues, but if I had to do it today, it would be a C5Z. Listen as Hickok45 says "Life is good" enjoy it while you can.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Krystals post is reality. MFRs are toning their cars down to just a few. There will be lots of hybrid and electrics in the future, and a day will come when we cant drive these dinosaurs or have to pay through the nose to use them.

I doubt there will be any future values on most, collectibles etc. If we cant drive em what good will they be? It will happen in our lifetime so start enjoying and using them up thats what they are for.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:36 AM
zone-7
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

The quality of the journey is far more important than the time it takes to complete the journey.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:14 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Krystals post is reality. MFRs are toning their cars down to just a few. There will be lots of hybrid and electrics in the future, and a day will come when we cant drive these dinosaurs or have to pay through the nose to use them.

I doubt there will be any future values on most, collectibles etc. If we cant drive em what good will they be? It will happen in our lifetime so start enjoying and using them up thats what they are for.
I don't know your age, but I'm 60. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime...

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z