Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] If you had it to do over again

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nah, run of the mill 416 stroker build. Nothing special. Drives like stock if I keep the 2x4 block under that right pedal.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

i did my headers, intake, tune and felt it needed to be a little more spicy. added 4.10s , mantic clutch, and nittos NT01 and say no more. dont think i will be doing any more mods, the car is a monster and doesn't break loose. grip is perfect and 100% power down.

Last edited by RomanNYC; 09-08-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

The LAST thing the C5 Z06 needs is more power. If you are new to this car, then probably the "driver mod" would be my first recommendation.
You have not defined what you intend to accomplish with this car?
If you intend to drag race it, then the short gears etc are appropriate.
If you intend to track this car, then safety, cooling and brakes would be at the top of my list. For street (DD) usage, then I recommend that you just "Drive IT". I think that after the driver mod, the biggest performance booster is TIRES. They are expensive, so choose wisely (for your usage).
The following users liked this post:
ztheusa (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 06:45 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are new, then....ah screw it. More power is always a good thing in my book. Especially if you are only talking 20-40 more hp with headers, cai and a tune. That should wake it up and still be very manageable. mine is making around 520 wheel horsepower and I still don't think it's enough.

If you are road racing and have a little extra coin, track pads that come off after your hpde, a dedicated set of track wheels and tires, I use stock size wheels with nito NTOl tires. A harness bar with a harness to keep you from sliding around and some ss brake lines with upgraded brake fluid and clutch fluid, using a turkey baster to clean the old black fluid out of that clutch reservoir. And I'd pick up a C6 shifter here in the classifieds as well.

And Shazam. You're ready to go get your feet wet. Easy does it on the first few sessions. Remember, smooth is fast. You would now have a car capable of showing tailights to 85% of the red group. Advanced group driving and finishing WILL require more HP and some brake ducts as well as enough time behind the wheel to know what the car will do when you do certain things. Getting the car balanced and setup correctly at this stage and possibly some cooling mods if you're going to drive it at 8-9/10.

Learning the car, tires, brakes, fluid, harnessed up and another 50-75hp and you are ready to rock in the advanced group.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 PM
samc5z
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

blower and lt's and tune, or ls3 swap with heads cam, and lt's and tune lol.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Everything was fine til you said CA..

Man go the a+a or edelbrock blower route ;its easier makes more power and no worries about our goofy laws. Cant bring it over and just "Pay someone" right off the bat
Leave it alone til you get it out here then ask around..

Last edited by cv67; 09-12-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Glenndingo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks for all the responses guys,

I don't think I will be looking for as much power as a S/C or Turbo will provide. At most I will do a H/C/I and be done with it. These cars are capable of so much, probably more than I am capable of actually doing with it. I am looking for an all around upgraded experience, which means nicer tires, a nice tune, and (believe it or not) not too much power (prob ~400-425 rwhp range) with a fat midrange and sticky tires.

So far, I just slapped a CAI and ordered a handheld for it for the time being to set fan speed, eliminate cags, and do some data logging, may contact Lew in the future. Still deciding on which tires to go with, I hear the Toyo R888's are very nice, but everything has shipping tax here in Hawaii.

If I can catch a company doing free shipping and a discount on some solid LG headers to Hawaii that's as far as I'm going to go for a good while. Anyway, I've been having a ball with the car it is everything I hoped it would be and I have not ever been this satisfied with a purchase.

Quick Reply: [Z06] If you had it to do over again