[Z06] Headers and tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:58 PM
acarroll7715
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Noam Tasini
Good Vegas feedback buddy. Thanks.
How much is a tune by these tuners aprox ?
Think I'm paying $550, I'm having a lot of other work being done right now too - headers, 3" x pipe, valve springs, water pump, etc. You have to look at the cost involved when paying for a dyno tune vs. a mail order tune. Tuners have rent to pay, utilities, cost of a dyno and much more hence why their prices are higher. Not to knock any mail order tunes as I've seen great tunes here on the forums from Chuck @ Cow and others as well. I just want my car dialed in 100% and don't mind spending a few hundred extra to get that piece of mind and also be able to consult with someone local if something happens to the car.

If doing headers, I highly suggest getting them ceramic coated. Ram Pro Line up off of Craig Rd does an amazing job. Paid $350 to get my headers coated. It'll drastically reduce your under hood temps. Living out here (plus I work in the automotive cooling industry) I see what heat does to cars every single day. PM me if you want Frank's info, very knowledgeable guys and takes his time with tunes without short cuts. Also has great reviews all over the internet.

Last edited by acarroll7715; 09-14-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
How about $149 then? I do several of these tunes per day, feel free to take a look at our mail order tuning thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nly-149-a.html

That's a great price. Read I shall 😉
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
3 years ago by memory:
TSP headers = $500 + freight
CAI (used) = around $150
X = $100 (Magnaflow)
Cats = $200 (Magnaflow metal)
TSP tune = $150
Labor to fit X to existing mid section = around $200? (if I were to do again I'd buy a complete mid with cats)
Labor to install = free; me
You really managed some great pricing there. Are the TSP good compared to the Kooks? The X is extremely cheap 😨. And the tune... Well everything as said . Good job.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Originally Posted by acarroll7715
Think I'm paying $550, I'm having a lot of other work being done right now too - headers, 3" x pipe, valve springs, water pump, etc. You have to look at the cost involved when paying for a dyno tune vs. a mail order tune. Tuners have rent to pay, utilities, cost of a dyno and much more hence why their prices are higher. Not to knock any mail order tunes as I've seen great tunes here on the forums from Chuck @ Cow and others as well. I just want my car dialed in 100% and don't mind spending a few hundred extra to get that piece of mind and also be able to consult with someone local if something happens to the car.

If doing headers, I highly suggest getting them ceramic coated. Ram Pro Line up off of Craig Rd does an amazing job. Paid $350 to get my headers coated. It'll drastically reduce your under hood temps. Living out here (plus I work in the automotive cooling industry) I see what heat does to cars every single day. PM me if you want Frank's info, very knowledgeable guys and takes his time with tunes without short cuts. Also has great reviews all over the internet.
Thanks Accarroll for all that valuable info. Glad to see I've got my options in town with good pros at the helm. Now to decide 😉.
Still learning her and blown by her just at stock levels. Exhilarating!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:57 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

You really managed some great pricing there. Are the TSP good compared to the Kooks? The X is extremely cheap 😨. And the tune... Well everything as said . Good job.
Kooks is a premium brand, but the latest TSP and XSP seem to be problem free. The X was just that, just an X. I cut apart my factory mid section to install it.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Kooks is a premium brand, but the latest TSP and XSP seem to be problem free. The X was just that, just an X. I cut apart my factory mid section to install it.
Are the magnaflow really more flowing than standard?
If so... Which one is the correct one of these 4 I attached?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:39 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

There are plenty of good options for cats. My research told me metallic were the best option, and Magnaflow among others were a good option. This is what I bought:

3" thru, they are mounted almost immediately after my header collectors, into a modified X:

...which was welded into the rear half (cut off and discarded the front half) of the factory mid section.
I can snap a pic somehow if curious.

Last edited by grantv; 09-15-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:50 AM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

There are plenty of good options for cats. My research told me metallic were the best option, and Magnaflow among others were a good option. This is what I bought:

3" thru, they are mounted almost immediately after my header collectors, into a modified X:

...which was welded into the rear half (cut off and discarded the front half) of the factory mid section.
I can snap a pic somehow if curious.
That would be great if you feel like it. Thanks.
Thought X pipe is larger usually. I guess this was a universal part, hence didn't fit perfectly.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:14 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I have the same cats as grantv mentioned just in the 2.5" version I believe. I've been very happy with them. I think I bought the 59956 model.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

Thanks Accarroll for all that valuable info. Glad to see I've got my options in town with good pros at the helm. Now to decide 😉.
Still learning her and blown by her just at stock levels. Exhilarating!!!
I will add my 2 cents. I have the Texas Speed headers and catted connection pipes connected to the stock Ti Z06 exhaust. I would argue these headers and pipes are just as good quality as Kooks, ARH, etc. for half the price. $1000

I have a mail order tune from Diablew Tune (http://www.diablewtune.com/). He sells the Diablow inTune programmer and does a remote tune based on logs that you collect and e-mail back to him. He has a reputation for being able to do remote tunes that are nearly as good as most shops dyno tunes. He also includes 1 year of free updates so if you add other mods he will adjust the tune for free. $510 (tune plus programmer).

As for the intake, I am using the stock intake with the Zip Tie mod and K&N filter with a better sealing, and higher flowing air bridge. The Zip Tie mod will get you 80 to 90% the benefit of an aftermarket intake for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:48 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I will add my 2 cents. I have the Texas Speed headers and catted connection pipes connected to the stock Ti Z06 exhaust. I would argue these headers and pipes are just as good quality as Kooks, ARH, etc. for half the price. $1000

I have a mail order tune from Diablew Tune (http://www.diablewtune.com/). He sells the Diablow inTune programmer and does a remote tune based on logs that you collect and e-mail back to him. He has a reputation for being able to do remote tunes that are nearly as good as most shops dyno tunes. He also includes 1 year of free updates so if you add other mods he will adjust the tune for free. $510 (tune plus programmer).

As for the intake, I am using the stock intake with the Zip Tie mod and K&N filter with a better sealing, and higher flowing air bridge. The Zip Tie mod will get you 80 to 90% the benefit of an aftermarket intake for a fraction of the cost.
my only issue with them is that they often hang below the car
Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 PM
Noam Tasini
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117

Price seems ok. Wouldn't expose my K@N drop in though. Too much dust and sand as is here in Vegas.
Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Yup. I'd do the CAI with tune if going that route.

Last edited by Noam Tasini; 09-16-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:51 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Yuhuh, my TSP's do.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Call me on Tuesday......

Originally Posted by acarroll7715

Call me on Tuesday...... I'm getting married this weekend and I'll be unavailable till Tuesday.

914-332-0049

Thanks
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 09-16-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:11 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Call me on Tuesday...... I'm getting married this weekend and I'll be unavailable till Tuesday.

914-332-0049

Thanks
Chuck CoW
Congrats Chuck!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you Very much!

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Congrats Chuck!
Thank you Very much!

What a great time we had.... Lots of work. Phew!

Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: [Z06] Headers and tune