Sponsored by:

[Z06] Wanting a C5Z/FRC

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:38 AM
lobamotive
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Wanting a C5Z/FRC

I've been throwing around the idea of purchasing a C5Z for the past 18 months or so, and I think the time has come. I ended up buying a 2010 F-150 back in early April, but I'm really missing the ability to actually pass anyone on the freeway. Not to mention the truck gets about 13 or 14 mpg on the highway

So here I am, wanting to know some of your thoughts and insight on a C5Z or FRC.

I'm looking for a 408/416 forged stroker car, but would like to stay in the realm of $20k. Can it be done? Once I get used to the power, I'd like to slap a supercharger on there. I've also considered a roller, but seeing as this will be my only car, I don't see that happening.

What are ya'll's thoughts? I've checked with my insurance, and at my young age, the C5Z would be cheaper than my current truck.

Also, give me some info about your Vette(s) and how highly you would recommend one to someone else.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 AM
Glenndingo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a recent c5z owner and someone who has had many v8s including a 93 Nissan Pickup with a 350/700r4 in it to name probably the most oddball thing I've had, I cannot recommend a c5/c5z enough.

What I can tell you though is before you go maxing out power drive it a bit -- it'll surprise you how fast it is out of the box, then you'll remember it's a car from the early 2000s and be even more impressed. I highly recommend getting a near stock one of either flavor and learning the car a bit, and grab a CAI/catback and a good set of rubber, because just remember the o lt time you'll be wishing you bought better tires is when you're loose on the street, and hopefully that's not your last thought.

Tires/CAI/Tune were my first chosen mods. After that will be headers/retune then I'm updating old equipment.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Hard to go from having a truck to having a two seat sports car as your only mode of transportation. I would never want to do it. But if you have the logistics figured out and you can make it work, good for you.

As for recommending a Z, I certainly do. I have owned mine for two years now and it has been very reliable. I just replaced the headlight gears with a brass set and recently have noticed a "leaky butt" that needs to be addressed, but that's it. Just get in it and go.

As for a DD, I'd be careful how far you go with modding it. You don't want to cross that line of "hell yeah it's fast" and "it's a handful to deal with daily". I love my car and it's stock except for headers and a tune, but I would miss the creature comforts of "another car" after a while.

Shakey
Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

I don't expect to supercharge it anytime soon. I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping ~$6k on something that's not another car.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

You want a Z/FRC with a stroker for $20K? If so you'll obviously be buying used with the mods wanted? And guessing you won't get a modded Z for that TBH, an FRC with mods maybe.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
You want a Z/FRC with a stroker for $20K? If so you'll obviously be buying used with the mods wanted? And guessing you won't get a modded Z for that TBH, an FRC with mods maybe.
I've seen them on the for sale section. Pretty rare, but they do come up. Hell, there are a few SC'd Z06's on there for less than $20k, albeit higher miles.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Glenndingo
Heel & Toe

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...267188864.html

All you!

Not a 416 but it's a 383 at least.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:22 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glenndingo
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...267188864.html

All you!

Not a 416 but it's a 383 at least.
I can't imagine freight from Hawaii to Texas to be very cheap! Good luck with the sale if that's yours!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Glenndingo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by lobamotive
I can't imagine freight from Hawaii to Texas to be very cheap! Good luck with the sale if that's yours!
Lol thanks but it's not mine, it looks nice though...
Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

I dont see getting a C5Z/FRC with a stroker for 20K. Considering a stroker motor and heads will cost you or the previous owner 8-12K assuming it stays LS1-6 based and 12-15K if its LS2-3-7 based, $20k wont do it.

An SC'd car would be more attainable at that price
Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 PM
samc5z
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Same boat as the op here. I'm young and have my 2nd real car (02Z) sold my 15 5.0 Roush. I definitely need/want more power without a doubt. I sourced and bought an ls9 and am going to toss that in there along with headers and a tune and will be fine lol.

op do it and don't look back. I haven't been more happy since being in this baby although it could use a few more ponies for dding.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Originally Posted by samc5z
Same boat as the op here. I'm young and have my 2nd real car (02Z) sold my 15 5.0 Roush. I definitely need/want more power without a doubt. I sourced and bought an ls9 and am going to toss that in there along with headers and a tune and will be fine lol.

op do it and don't look back. I haven't been more happy since being in this baby although it could use a few more ponies for dding.
LS9 in a C5Z sounds absolutely sick. Congratulations man, it will be one hell of a ride!

Get notified of new replies

To Wanting a C5Z/FRC

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wanting a C5Z/FRC