Sponsored by:

[Z06] LG GT2 Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:48 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LG GT2 Help

I'm writing this while on my Samsung Note, while sitting on the throne, so please excuse any rough-edges.

​​​​​​With that image now seared into your minds, a couple of years ago I got the LG Motorsports GT2 adjustable coilovers to compliment my T1 sways. I got them from Andy and asked him to make sure the car was nice and low, which he did:

So low in fact, that this happened soon after:

I still don't think the driveway of that building is up to code.

Notwithstanding, I still like the car low.

However, if I don't have my seat belt on, I'll get launched out the window if I go over a bump at high speed. I have the fronts at their firmest setting and the rear on one click down from firmest.

Meanwhile, on my viper, I have the KWs (I believe V3s) and it too is LOW:

But it rides like a dream; stiff, no body roll and very tame over bumps at speed. Plus, I have a bunch more room to make them even stiffer.

I figured the GT2s don't have enough room for proper rebound, so I looked into shock-tower extenders, but none seem to exist for the C5.

Sooooo, other than raising the Vette, what other options are there?

At this rate, I'm very unhappy with the GT2s. They're not only bouncy over bumps at speed, they also allow for body roll. They're just not confidence-inducing. Plus, if I don't crawl over speed bumps, they bounce, causing the car to bottom out. This doesn't occur with KWs.

Should I just toss the GT2s and replace them with KWs? Seems like a waste.

And LG was less than helpful, by the way. They basically told me it is what it is.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:12 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ESBESQ
I'm writing this while on my Samsung Note, while sitting on the throne, so please excuse any rough-edges.

​​​​​​With that image now seared into your minds, a couple of years ago I got the LG Motorsports GT2 adjustable coilovers to compliment my T1 sways. I got them from Andy and asked him to make sure the car was nice and low, which he did:

So low in fact, that this happened soon after:

I still don't think the driveway of that building is up to code.

Notwithstanding, I still like the car low.

However, if I don't have my seat belt on, I'll get launched out the window if I go over a bump at high speed. I have the fronts at their firmest setting and the rear on one click down from firmest.

Meanwhile, on my viper, I have the KWs (I believe V3s) and it too is LOW:

But it rides like a dream; stiff, no body roll and very tame over bumps at speed. Plus, I have a bunch more room to make them even stiffer.

I figured the GT2s don't have enough room for proper rebound, so I looked into shock-tower extenders, but none seem to exist for the C5.

Sooooo, other than raising the Vette, what other options are there?

At this rate, I'm very unhappy with the GT2s. They're not only bouncy over bumps at speed, they also allow for body roll. They're just not confidence-inducing. Plus, if I don't crawl over speed bumps, they bounce, causing the car to bottom out. This doesn't occur with KWs.

Should I just toss the GT2s and replace them with KWs? Seems like a waste.

And LG was less than helpful, by the way. They basically told me it is what it is.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Why don't you try SOFTENING them up..............a lot! You have nothing to lose, and the results will probably surprise you. Please DO post your results here. If they are double adjustable, I would want more REBOUND stiffness. I have an 04, and it is fine over bumps.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:48 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Why don't you try SOFTENING them up..............a lot! You have nothing to lose, and the results will probably surprise you. Please DO post your results here. If they are double adjustable, I would want more REBOUND stiffness. I have an 04, and it is fine over bumps.
Thanks for the response. But when I received the car back from Andy, it was set on the softer settings and was WAY worse. The harder setting made it more tolerable, but still very disappointing when compared to the KWs. I just don't think that the LG adjustable coilover setup is suited for a lowered car - which is weird because then what's the point?

If i can't figure out a solution, I'll be yanking these out and replacing them with KWs. They're a bit more expensive, but well worth it if these are the alternative.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Deputy_Dangle
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have my GT2s set on 5 click from full soft on the front and 7 clicks from full soft on the rear. The front coilovers are as low as they would go and the rear has an ever so slight amount of rake.
While the car is stiff'ish, it has no bounce, the dampers are doing their job well. The car remains very composed over mid corner bumps and such.
I use Pfadt light rate bars on their softest settings front and rear.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deputy_Dangle
I have my GT2s set on 5 click from full soft on the front and 7 clicks from full soft on the rear. The front coilovers are as low as they would go and the rear has an ever so slight amount of rake.
While the car is stiff'ish, it has no bounce, the dampers are doing their job well. The car remains very composed over mid corner bumps and such.
I use Pfadt light rate bars on their softest settings front and rear.
I tried it at half like you have it and they were still pretty soft/bouncy. The difference is pretty dramatic between the KWs on the viper and these.

I don't know what the T1 sway bars are set at - I know that the car was lowered using those somehow, but I have no familiarity with how the sway bar on this car works. I wonder if the sway bars are contributing to this problem.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:08 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if your sway bars are adjustable look at which hole the endlinks are installed in... the hole nearest the outside of the car will be the softest and towards the center of the car is the stiffest
Old 10-02-2017, 07:11 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutron82
if your sway bars are adjustable look at which hole the endlinks are installed in... the hole nearest the outside of the car will be the softest and towards the center of the car is the stiffest
Okay; I'll check it out.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

It could be the springs (to stiff) not the shock. Plus the C5 is really not meant for coil overs. could be frame flex too. Just saying.

Mark.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:13 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moto One
It could be the springs (to stiff) not the shock. Plus the C5 is really not meant for coil overs. could be frame flex too. Just saying.

Mark.
I thought about that too, but these coilover's are supposed to be specifically designed for the C5 by LG Motorsports. That's why I didn't go with KW because I thought LG would know more about vettes.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe they changed the spring rates on the newer sets by about 100lbs or so... I'm not sure on the exact # but maybe they can confirm
Old 10-02-2017, 09:23 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

I believe they changed the spring rates on the newer sets by about 100lbs or so... I'm not sure on the exact # but maybe they can confirm
Great.... When I called them about it they basically said they couldn't help me. It might be that the springs are too tight given the lowering.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

do you know if they lowered it using the perch or did they do it the correct way and screw the lower mounts onto the shock body?... and also maybe they are preloaded too much... just throwing out some ideas of things to check... who did you speak with?... Anthony has always been pretty helpful when I have talked to him

Last edited by neutron82; 10-02-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:33 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

do you know if they lowered it using the perch or did they do it the correct way and screw the lower mounts onto the shock body?... and also maybe they are preloaded too much... just throwing out some ideas of things to check
I bought them from A&A Corvette and they did it, so I'd assume they did it correctly, but don't know. They're not horrible; just not as good as I would've expected. The handling on the C5 was never that great to begin with, so maybe I'm expecting too much.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Theres 2 ways to lower a car on coil overs (GT2), compress the spring and lengthen the shock body, the wrong way.

Second, expand the spring portion of the shock so that the spring can spin on the shock slightly with the suspension unloaded then shorten the overall length of the shock.

Sounds like your are set the 1st way
Old 10-04-2017, 04:38 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Theres 2 ways to lower a car on coil overs (GT2), compress the spring and lengthen the shock body, the wrong way.

Second, expand the spring portion of the shock so that the spring can spin on the shock slightly with the suspension unloaded then shorten the overall length of the shock.

Sounds like your are set the 1st way
Thank you, but that sounds like Greek to me. I'll ask my viper guy to look at it to see if he can figure it out.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ESBESQ
Thank you, but that sounds like Greek to me. I'll ask my viper guy to look at it to see if he can figure it out.
Jack the car up, remove the wheel and see if you can spin the spring on its perch. If you cannot, the spring was installed with too much compression which will make the car ride rough.

Loosen the 2 lower spring collars (counting how many revolutions you make on the adjusting collar) with the spanner wrench until the spring can be spun on the perch by hand WITH some effort, not freely spinning. I believe some instructions say .25" is ok. Tighten the jam nut back against the adjusting collar.

Now, unbolt the coil over from the control arm, loosen its jam nut and SPIN it back UP into the shock body the SAME number of times that you loosened the adjusting collar, that will maintain your ride height but soften the ride. Now reassemble, done

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 10-04-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:54 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Jack the car up, remove the wheel and see if you can spin the spring on its perch. If you cannot, the spring was installed with too much compression which will make the car ride rough.

Loosen the 2 lower spring collars (counting how many revolutions you make on the adjusting collar) with the spanner wrench until the spring can be spun on the perch by hand WITH some effort, not freely spinning. I believe some instructions say .25" is ok.

Now, unbolt the coil over from the control arm and SPIN it back UP into the shock body the SAME number of times that you loosened the adjusting collar, that will maintain your ride height but soften the ride. Now reassemble, done
thank you so much! I don't mind the hard ride (in fact, I prefer it), the bounciness is what's scary. I think that lengthening the shock body should fix that problem. I'll give it a shot

Get notified of new replies

To LG GT2 Help

Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

LG spindles would fix your problem: https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-cor...-spindles.html
Old 10-06-2017, 01:31 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by voda1
LG spindles would fix your problem: https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-cor...-spindles.html
Spending an additional $2500 on top of the cost of the LGs would be crazy! I rather just trash the LGs and buy the KWs if I was going to do that.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:54 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The GT2s have a VERY firm and some consider a harsh ride...

A great option is the Aldan American setup which IMO is an AMAZING deal for the price... $1199 Shipped to your door, Made in the USA, 100% rebuildable, and we can customize to your specs. I 100% guarantee you'll love the performance and ride of the Aldan's... we offer a satisfaction guarantee or you can return them

Click here for more info...
http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/aldan-...-corvette.html

Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Last edited by TPSMak; 10-08-2017 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LG GT2 Help