TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Old 11-06-2017, 03:43 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
I'll chime in.... As I was one of those guys with a highly modified C5Z that I owned for 8 yrs.. Bought it stock w 80K mi.. DD it for 4 yrs then built a 414ci stroker for it and began modifying it to run 1/2 mi race events. I cannot tell you how much money I dumped into that car... BUT it was well known in the DFW area and got looks everywhere I drove it. I was running with 900hp Vipers, 1100hp C6Z's and crushing C7Z's.... I got it right where I wanted it...... Then I decided I wanted a C6Z... So I sold it... and was able to pay CASH for my current 08 3LZ C6Z w 22K on it.... Bone stock, garage kept, one owner... First thing I did was heads, cam, headers, intake,throttle body,tune. That is where I am at... My C6Z is making more NA power than my C5Z was... But not much... Although my C6Z feels much quicker than my C5Z.. This 427 is no slouch...

Now, my C5Z also had a 250 shot of Nitrous... It made 750/798 to the tires...
Future plans for my C6Z include some Mamo 265's, sheet metal intake ( expensive one, not the holley)

In terms of driving... the C6Z beats the C5Z hands down... imo... I am looking at getting another C5Z in the not too distant future.. I do miss mine. This one will be either twin Turbo, or as others have said a blower... Keeping my C6Z NA...

GL w whatever you do...
Good insight/feedback. Question though, what do you mean by "in terms of driving the C6Z beats the C5Z hands down"?? Because I kinda felt the opposite when I was cross shopping, the C6Z felt bigger/softer somehow but the TQ kinda gets you by surprise & you're accelerating/pulling harder than most other stuff out there but it just didn't "feel" like it was. My C5Z on the street feels more like 500 lbs lighter not 200 lbs, it feels smaller the harder you drive it, it gives more of a sense of "feeling fast" even when you're not driving it super hard (relative to other vettes that is), & IMO feels like it handles better, turns in quicker, etc. - This is all when stock mind you.

I liked the torque all over the place in the C6Z but disliked the bigger feel & the less communicative steering/handling. I knew the C5Z would require mods to get it where I wanted power-wise, but like that it feels like a go-kart on steroids. The C6Z did not feel that way to me.

I guess it all depends what you're looking for, for me I have more fun tossing my modded C5Z around tight back roads & thrashing it occasionally whereas when I was driving C6Z's (stock or w/ intake/headers) didn't feel as "fun" on tight roads & winding out gears @ "sane" speeds - the C6Z felt to me like a normal vette until I really started opening it up by the time I did I'm running outta road or attracting the wrong attention ;-)

For me the best comparison would be if you have any experience w/ sport bikes - the C5Z is like a 600cc while the C6Z is a 1000cc, bigger, more power, better performance on paper all over, except no place to exploit or enjoy the added performance over a 600 anywhere but a track setting. Hence why I dumped my R1 eventually. I live in new England though, so really geography comes into play as well..

Last edited by C5Dobie; 11-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

With the dependable power from the LS7 and brakes from a C6Z06, this would be a great C5Z06 upgrade.
Can't see how it would hurt the value....
Old 11-08-2017, 11:54 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I would prefer the c6z in the following scenarios only:
1. you want to daily drive it
2. you care about chasing a naturally aspirated HP Number
3. you prefer the c6z over the c5z

For ME the c5z is a better car for what I want. Granted my c5z is modded to hell and back. I have been debating selling my 2000 coupe to jump into another c5z. I already test drove a c6z, grand sport c6, c7 grand sport, c7z06, and honestly those cars dont get me excited like my c5 does
gmanflying (11-16-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:16 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

For me....it really has come down to a numbers game. How much do I want to spend on one vette then turn around and upgrade and do it all again? I have found the C5 to be a great value for the money, a great platform to start modding and for me it feels right. What I mean by "feel right" is...it fits me well, I get good road feedback and it's very tossable to me. I have had 4 C5's now and I also owned a C6Z. Although I liked the C6Z a lot.....it was pricey and I didn't get the feedback I was looking for from it.
Then....where does it end? So...say you sale this C5 and get the C6...then will you be happy? Or...you get the C7 or C8 bug? It is nice to upgrade but I wanna find the middle ground for value for me. I also don't leave anything stock. So...for me to keep upgrading vettes and then mod them....it's tough to keep throwing big money at each vette.
For your mods.....I think you need to ride in an S/C or TT C5 and you will get a better feel for mods. Once you ride in one of these vettes...you will have a big smile on your mug and forget about headers and the like and go F/I!! Then the question is...do you do it to your vette or buy one already built? Best value is to find a clean build that someone else has thrown big $$ into and they are upgrading. You save huge money going this route. I have done this many times. I have a S/C and TT C5's now...love em both.
Keep researching and ride in a few vettes before you make up your mind. Perfect example...there is a guy on here whom has a black C5 Z that has an S/C setup and CCW's and just did a built RPM trans for sale. That is the way to go!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Well I didn't take the time to read all the responses, but I have very relevant experience to share w/ you regarding this dilemma. 4 years ago this January I purchased my '03 Z06. I originally was shopping for a handful of muscle/sports cars but always came down to either stretching for a C6Z 06-08 or a C6 LS3 preferably GS or Z51 or to "settle" on an 03-04 C5Z - regardless of the vehicle I'd end up w/ - I knew I would end up modifying to some degree, can't help it, & I like making the car "mine".

2 things you should know - firstoff, the mild bread & butter mods that will NOT hurt your its value & SHOULD help it would be: intake, headers, shifter, tune - maybe catback - as long as you keep all the stock parts in storage if a future buyer absolutely wants to return to stock...IMO those mods only enhance the ownership experience of the car. The 2nd thing to know is that every single C6Z will require $3500-$4500 in top end work/valve guides etc. as that is a known weak point, there is NO WAY I would spend $35-45k on a used C6Z to only to have the motor implode - so that has to be factored in when purchasing (replacing valve springs on the 02-03 C5Z is also a prerequisite, but much cheaper & can be done on your own even).

What I have done to the C5Z performance-wise to essentially match C6Z or in some areas surpass - bilstein sport shocks ($365), steinjager sways + endlinks - $500, Vararam CAI - $340, ARH LT headers - $2500, ported TB - $75, tune(s) - $900, MGW shifter, cam package & all necessary hardware $3200, Nitto NTO5r tires - $900- whp around 445 on a mustang dyno in a 3000 lb car on barely legal street tires = PRICELESS I've also added partition/trunk tray, power coated the stock wheels black, and had a modern stereo installed Pioneer deck, Bluetooth, JL audio speakers + amp + dynamat ($1600 cost)

If I had a C6Z I'd probably forego the headers which saves some $$$ but I'd spend almost double for the valve guide job, I would still replace the shifter, add intake, swap the cam, & probably do a axleback (whereas I wouldn't do an axleback on the C5Z w/ the factory Ti's), I'd still be swapping the tires, I'd still be getting it tuned, & while the C6Z's have Bluetooth the radios blow & I'd probably wind up swapping that out too

What I'm getting at....I didn't see any scenario where I wouldn't be +$10-$12,000 more all in minimum for a C6Z & I had a small note on my C5Z that I paid down quickly - would have taken a little longer on a C6Z & my mod fever would've burned longer w/o any relief b/c the entry cost was higher on the C6Z & the immediate expense of valve job + a tune would have put future mods off a bit.

Now, when I drive a C6Z or LS3 C6 stock - and I have recently - it simply enforces the idea of keeping my well modified C5Z b/c a) my modded C5Z just "feels" much snappier even than a stock C6Z, & b) the idea of starting over w/ a newer car right now having modded the C5Z to my liking just isn't very appealing.

Now since your car is stock its a different story - you have yet to dump any big $$ into it, but if you own it outright its not a bad time to start modding it either. If it were me & you were looking for a higher performance bar TBH I'd forget about a C6Z & look @ either a C6 ZR1 or a 2012-2014 Camaro Z28. The ZR1 can be had for $50-55k @ this point - which is essentially theft b/c they WILL appreciate smartly - & the Z28 has the LS7 motor w/o the valve guide issue, wears 315mm rubber on the FRONT, has multimatic dynamic spool valve shocks, carbon ceramic brakes, AND it'll outlap a freakin Nissan GTR @ your favorite racetrack. You can buy that car for $40k

If you want the most bang for the buck in terms of GM performance cars, it is no longer the C5Z arguably it'd be the Z28 Camaro.
Late to the game here, but two things of mention:
1. a head fix is only 1k if you pull the heads yourself. 3500 is a myth.
2. all LS7 heads were effected, including the z28's. and some LS9's.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 AM
ChoppinVette
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
Late to the game here, but two things of mention:
1. a head fix is only 1k if you pull the heads yourself. 3500 is a myth.
2. all LS7 heads were effected, including the z28's. and some LS9's.
All LS7s were affected, no matter the platform or year.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

first, take a deep breath.

then....

regarding column lock bypass and "unlocked" steering wheel: that concern might have been valid in 1997, but today, no. if someone wants your car, they will get your car. don't worry about the security aspect. worry about bypassing that stupid manufacturing defect, pronto.

any mods you do to the car is throwing money away. you won't get anything meaningful back. look at it instead of investing in your happiness, if that's what floats your boat.

if you really don't like the c5z, trade up. before you do that, i might suggest you take a pro driving course and enjoy your car for how it's meant to be enjoyed. i guarantee it has capabilities that far exceed your own and the vast majority of drivers including most of those on this forum.

most importantly, be thankful that you have such an awesome car and appreciate what you have.

Originally Posted by BigBossMY03Z
Kinda hate that the C5 has to do the column lock bypass, effectively makes the car have no anti-theft protection on the wheel..

Call me weird if ya want but part of enjoying a fast/fun car for me is knowing financially it made the most sense for what I'm getting. The cheapest and fastest option appeals to me, as long as I'm not throwing money away to do it (which is what serious mods feels like, drop $20-30k that you won't ever see again).

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 11-17-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:09 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

personally I think it would be best for the op to keep his money and not spend it on any mods for the c5z... don't take it the wrong way but he seems very indecisive and I have a feeling he would be regretting it after spending $2k+ on new headers, tune, etc, and still not be happy... headers are a great mod and essential for laying groundwork for future mods, they also sound great and will give a noticeable power increase but it won't be a night and day jump up and down difference like forced induction or nitrous and if you are having second thoughts about buying headers then I guarantee you won't want to go down the forced induction route
Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I've had both. 01z heavily modified and 09z lightly modified.

Notice the same license plates.

Bought the 01z maybe 12 years ago and enjoyed the most memorable years of my youth with it. I've had two college (hottie lipstick lesbian) blondies in the passenger seat rolling to my bachelors pad for a 3some. Got pics too.

Did the typical thing trying to move "upward" in life when I was bored -sold the c5z bought the c6z and now 7 years later I have the same c5z I sold back again in my possession and love it more than any car possible. Somewhat for the memories, somewhat that I'm older and can savor the c5z personality on small country roads...

The true answer comes only from you based on a mixture of your stage in life, financial ability, and decisiveness.
IMXCITD (11-22-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:54 AM
gmanflying
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
first, take a deep breath.

then....

regarding column lock bypass and "unlocked" steering wheel: that concern might have been valid in 1997, but today, no. if someone wants your car, they will get your car. don't worry about the security aspect. worry about bypassing that stupid manufacturing defect, pronto.

any mods you do to the car is throwing money away. you won't get anything meaningful back. look at it instead of investing in your happiness, if that's what floats your boat.

if you really don't like the c5z, trade up. before you do that, i might suggest you take a pro driving course and enjoy your car for how it's meant to be enjoyed. i guarantee it has capabilities that far exceed your own and the vast majority of drivers including most of those on this forum.

most importantly, be thankful that you have such an awesome car and appreciate what you have.

Well stated
Old 11-18-2017, 05:56 AM
gmanflying
Racer

Originally Posted by ~Josh
I've had both. 01z heavily modified and 09z lightly modified.

Notice the same license plates.

Bought the 01z maybe 12 years ago and enjoyed the most memorable years of my youth with it. I've had two college (hottie lipstick lesbian) blondies in the passenger seat rolling to my bachelors pad for a 3some. Got pics too.

Did the typical thing trying to move "upward" in life when I was bored -sold the c5z bought the c6z and now 7 years later I have the same c5z I sold back again in my possession and love it more than any car possible. Somewhat for the memories, somewhat that I'm older and can savor the c5z personality on small country roads...

The true answer comes only from you based on a mixture of your stage in life, financial ability, and decisiveness.
Yeah the same license plate is what I noticed first.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:31 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

License plate? What license plate?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:55 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Op, what you really need to decide is if you desire the driving characteristics of a modded car or a stock car. The two cars have different feels in stock form. I have a modded c6z and will be searching for a stock c5z as a daily soon. Many people prefer a c5z because it feels faster, is more raw, etc. But in terms of speed vs a c6z its no contest without alot of money into it. But someone is always faster, remember that. Its you that has to sit in the car and work the clutch.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:03 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Having had both, the C6Z will out perform the bolt-on C5Z that you are describing. It will take more bolt-ons to achieve similar results in the 1/4 mile as a stock C6Z. Many have suggested driving a C6Z. The car drives much differently overall. (In addition, my 2008 drove much different than the 2006 I first test drove. I disliked the 2006.)
Good luck.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:11 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

As for the statement(s) about LS7 heads, I will not dispute that there are well documented issues regarding the valve guides but I never had that problem with over 500 passes and 32,000 miles.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:59 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06

Hands down, one of my all time favorite C5Z's on the forum. Congrats on your C6.

I find the shape of the C5Z way more appealing. Where I live (near DC) everyone has the latest of everything and oddly enough, people are attracted to my C5Z because you just don't see that many anymore here.

My car was set up for road racing when I bought it with larger sways, better shocks, corner weighted etc.. I know it will out handle a stock C6Z and darn near anything else I come across.

I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy a Doug Rippie built complete brand new LS7 motor at a really really good price. It makes 550 whp and 550 wtq and as noted above, this car is light. Now it scoots.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds (C6Z, C5Z). I know the rear is the weak link at this point but I don't abuse it and it's holding up (knocking on wood).

The car is paid for and it's what I wanted. I agree with the above that the OP should really decide what his end game is and go for it. Any Z is a good Z in my book!!

Get notified of new replies

To Modded C5Z or stock C6Z?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:18 PM
gmanflying
Racer

[QUOTE=jerkyboy;1596017882]Hands down, one of my all time favorite C5Z's on the forum. Congrats on your C6.

I find the shape of the C5Z way more appealing. Where I live (near DC) everyone has the latest of everything and oddly enough, people are attracted to my C5Z because you just don't see that many anymore here.

My car was set up for road racing when I bought it with larger sways, better shocks, corner weighted etc.. I know it will out handle a stock C6Z and darn near anything else I come across.

I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy a Doug Rippie built complete brand new LS7 motor at a really really good price. It makes 550 whp and 550 wtq and as noted above, this car is light. Now it scoots.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds (C6Z, C5Z). I know the rear is the weak link at this point but I don't abuse it and it's holding up (knocking on wood).

The car is paid for and it's what I wanted. I agree with the above that the OP should really decide what his end game is and go for it. Any Z is a good Z in my book!!

Good post! I suggested the LS7 upgrade earlier but I guess no one liked that. Glad to see you did, and enjoying it. When I look at what it takes to get a LS6 to that kind of HP I feel the LS7 makes the most sense to me, and if I decide to upgrade that’s what I will do.
C5Dobie (11-21-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:53 PM
nutbuster
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Mods

I have read the thread and have a 2002 Z06 that I have modded to the point of no return, and I love it! LSX 447 fully built with all the goodies, a pro charger F1X that with a big pulley and on pump gas puts down over 1025 RWHP. I could easily put a smaller pulley on the blower and set it up to run Ethanol and maybe get 1300 to 1400 RWHP? But I can't use what I have now! It is totally unreasonable and gets shitty gas mileage but damn it is fun! My wife thinks I am crazy but she new that a long time ago! For all of the money I have in this car I could have bought a new one, which is true but then it wouldn't be different! I would rather have this C5 than a new one any day. You have to decide what you like and go for it! If your worried about the cars value then buy a Toyota!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:44 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I choose the C5Z because 1. its basicly a big miata with great power. 2. its a great car to learn how to drive fast around a road course. 3. there are SO MANY aftermarket parts for this car that is now reasonably priced due to the age of the car. 4. Less electronics/ drivers aid's 5. "High speed low drag" I prefer the low slung sleek look of the car as well as the sitting position. the lower you are to the ground the more "visceral" the speed feels... for example a long time ago..... in a land far, far away..... My father owned a 1952 TD MG I loved that car because It felt like we were ding 200mph but in reality it was 55mph. the seating postion and being that low to the ground .... well you get the idea.... 6. a destroked LS7 is probably the next thing on the list of "to do" for the car... I love the rev happy LS6 and just want more of it... LOL!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Modded C5Z or stock C6Z?