Sponsored by:

[Z06] c5 z06 big brake questions - front calipers on rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:24 AM
jriley9922
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts
Default c5 z06 big brake questions - front calipers on rear

I've seen some thread by searching where the front brake setup can flip and be mounted on the rear... front driver side to rear passenger, and visa versa.
Most people have said this will throw off the brake bias terribly.

However, most of them are people looking to run front calipers on all 4 corners.

I'm adding a wilwood 6 piston race setup onto the front... this car will be purely for HPDE track days. I wont be driving it on the street except for the 30 miles of highway to the track, and then back home.

So adding a monster front braking system, will I maintain the proper balance if I then put the front brake setup on the rear?

Since I will have the front setup just laying around... if I could re-purpose them onto the rear and still have the proper braking balance/bias, that's a "free" upgrade for me.

Looking at the wilwood rear big brake race setup... how much different would this be versus the OEM c5z front setup on the rear?

it's a 2001 z06.
Motor mostly stock, LG brake cooling ducts, dewitts radiator/oil cooler. Will be doing coilovers and swaybars this winter as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Alexander K
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Front rotors on all wheels.... sounds absolutely ridiculous

Never heard of putting the front brakes on the rear after upgrading the fronts but bias is electronically controlled. It is monitored and controlled so the car will make adjustments when the BBK goes on front. I know many who run the stock out back with BBK up front. Its very economical and works great. With AH off the rears are not used much. IMO unless you are a novice driver who is hard on brakes, running r comps, and run brake intensive tracks you will not have a heat issue with the oem out back. Adding the fronts to the rear will just increase sprung weight with no benefit to pad thickness, availability, or cost.

A BBK out back would be beneficial if you race A LOT and the lower cost of the more generic and thicker pads in addition to ease of pad changes makes the investment worth it.

Last edited by Alexander K; 10-19-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM
jriley9922
Burning Brakes

Yeah... I hadn't thought of it either until reading through some c5/c6 brake threads... it's been done as they directly bolt up as long as you flip flop sides. I've read both good results (such as: car worked fine for me and bit hard and straight) and horrible results (such as: the car felt horrible braking into turns)

I appreciate your input. After posting, I found some other info where I can run the OEM c5z calipers with bigger c6z51 rotors on the rear with two cheap c6z51 Caliper mounting brackets from GM ($100 for both of them).

So I think I'll go that route after my stock rotors are toast... which may not be anytime soon anyway.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:46 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

You do understand that the rear rotors also includes an inner drum brake setup for the e-brake built into the rotors....right? You can't just use front rotors in the back, since the front rotors wouldn't have this provision. I think some guys may swap c6 rear brakes & rotors to the c5, that would make more sense to me.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-24-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:55 PM
jriley9922
Burning Brakes

Yes indeed. As noted, the car is only used for track stuff. Otherwise will be sitting on a flat garage or flat pit area... first gear would be fine.

and yes, c6z51 rotors with the caliper bracket seems like the happy medium.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok just making sure you know it would mean losing the e-brake. Still think a c6 rear brake swap would make more sense.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:26 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
Ok just making sure you know it would mean losing the e-brake. Still think a c6 rear brake swap would make more sense.
exactly
Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I've seen a number of threads about this over the years and if I recall most said this wasn't worth doing. You're better off getting a rear caliper set that matches IMO or stick with stock.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 PM
jriley9922
Burning Brakes

noted.. without big brake front, it seems silly.

Last edited by jriley9922; 10-24-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Corcraft
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you done this yet? Im looking to do this as well.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Works well on a track only or race car, I run fronts on the rear of mine with a big Brembo GT kit up front, I also use a Doug Rippie master cylinder which has some bias adjustment. Wouldn't want to go this route for a car that sees any street duty, but it has worked great on my ST1 race car.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

My thoughts from the brake industry have not changed. And echo those who are also in the business. A bad idea.

Originally Posted by jriley9922
I've seen some thread by searching where the front brake setup can flip and be mounted on the rear... front driver side to rear passenger, and visa versa.
Most people have said this will throw off the brake bias terribly.

Most people are correct.

However, most of them are people looking to run front calipers on all 4 corners.

Doesn't matter. You will be altering the bias to the rear to far to great an amount.

I'm adding a wilwood 6 piston race setup onto the front... this car will be purely for HPDE track days. I wont be driving it on the street except for the 30 miles of highway to the track, and then back home.

Like many you're confusing QUANTITY for AREA. The six pot has nearly identical area. No more clamp force just spread out differently.

So adding a monster front braking system, will I maintain the proper balance if I then put the front brake setup on the rear?

You're not adding a MONSTER front brake system unless you specifically request some larger area four pots (FNSL4 with 4.8" vs FNSL6 with 4.0") the only change may be in rotor diameter.

Since I will have the front setup just laying around... if I could re-purpose them onto the rear and still have the proper braking balance/bias, that's a "free" upgrade for me.

You won't have it.

Looking at the wilwood rear big brake race setup... how much different would this be versus the OEM c5z front setup on the rear?

Significantly. The proper rear kit as the same or slight bump in area like the front making the change balanced to the front- just like the factory did.

it's a 2001 z06.
Motor mostly stock, LG brake cooling ducts, dewitts radiator/oil cooler. Will be doing coilovers and swaybars this winter as well.

It's simply not what one would consider a proper change in the system. It's also going to change the total fluid capacity, thus your pedal feel will be softer and longer to handle the displacement of essentially front calipers (4") on all four corners.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:49 PM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Well i am doing this to my 02 convert C5 front calipers + C6Z51 front caliper brackets + C6Z06 rear rotors in the back to retain the emergency - parking brake, some pictures....first pic is when bracket is still original unmodded.
Attached Images    

Last edited by MatsA; 01-08-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added new correct info
Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thought, the bias valve will be working overtime.
It will be interesting to hear your debriefing.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 AM
MatsA
Instructor

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

Hi

As i understand from 01-> the bias valve is handled by the ABS computer and have no spring system so it will take care that no lockups happen, but i will test it on a safe wide strip of tarmac just to make sure it works out proper so no crazy stuff happens
I see in the picture i have the wrong caliper mounted should offcourse be on the opposite side, a bit cold up here in Scandinavia at the moment so proper testing to come about two months time earliest but will report outcome

Last edited by MatsA; 01-08-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2018, 03:34 AM
MatsA
Instructor

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Ok here are a debriefing for the front calipers in the back mod.
It works outstanding bias is no problem computer handles that, i do have a 02 so can not answer for those years that have the spring for handling bias.
Only difference that is maybe odd is that brakes take a bit lower than original but this you get used to.
To sum things up this mod works and it is very easy to do, i have tried this mod on the track also and straitline braking into corner from 100 mph is very stable and if braking very hard ABS will engage front brakes first, try to avoid this as it kills your rotors as i understand.
Edit: Just to clarify i have done C6Z51 brake upgrade in the front also so 340mm all around, to do this you just get the brackets and rotor the rest is bolt on.
I use HP+ pads and it is a very good upgrade of brakes for the C5 of all versions as i see it.

Last edited by MatsA; 07-28-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:33 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by MatsA

Ok here are a debriefing for the front calipers in the back mod.
It works outstanding bias is no problem computer handles that, i do have a 02 so can not answer for those years that have the spring for handling bias.
Only difference that is maybe odd is that brakes take a bit lower than original but this you get used to.
To sum things up this mod works and it is very easy to do, i have tried this mod on the track also and straitline braking into corner from 100 mph is very stable and if braking very hard ABS will engage front brakes first, try to avoid this as it kills your rotors as i understand.
Edit: Just to clarify i have done C6Z51 brake upgrade in the front also so 340mm all around, to do this you just get the brackets and rotor the rest is bolt on.
I use HP+ pads and it is a very good upgrade of brakes for the C5 of all versions as i see it.

Wait, you lost the rear parking brake upon this swap, correct?
Old 07-29-2018, 03:00 AM
MatsA
Instructor

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
Wait, you lost the rear parking brake upon this swap, correct?
No as i use the C6Z06 rotor in the back so the e brake is retained and working perfect there is also no risk for pads dropping out of the caliper, pads to use is the normal front caliper pads it is a perfect drop in factory like fit, the only machinery work to do is take material off on the brackets as i show in picture above with one bracket modded and one still original, you shawe off the surface where bolts attach to the arm to center bracket - rotor(picture in post #13), when you have the brackets it is very easy to see and measure what to do.
Original length of brake lines do work but it is a tight fit and could use 1-2” more length for optimal but my car is lowered so it works fine with original length.

Last edited by MatsA; 07-29-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 z06 big brake questions - front calipers on rear

Quick Reply: [Z06] c5 z06 big brake questions - front calipers on rear